Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just STFU - Trump and the NFL

If you are supportive of their protests, maybe you could tell me what they are protesting. I don't have a clue, police, the flag, America, Trump?
    Before or after Trump opened his yapper?

While we are at it, why don't you show me where institutional racism exists...
    I could, but would it really matter to you?

Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    The arena these ungrateful, disrespectful overpaid football players of what our military past and present has given us ...chose, the freedom to disagree , but to dishonor OUR AMERICAN FLAG AND NATIONAL ANTHEM , SPITS IN THE FACE OF EVERY AMERICAN and family who has a loved one who served to give us this right. These football players are a classless, overpaid bunch of bozos who have no respect, especially for themselves...and for the gutless billionaire football team owners who stand quietly neutral in these incident,s for the love of sustaining their profits... they should be dealt with harshly by the public opinion poll and every patriotic citizen should boycott their teams games!

There are probably just as many people on the other side of this. Time will tell I suppose....

Not sure if you can call the owners gutless. Many have taken the side of the players and have to deal with wonderful opinions like yours.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Honest question, what type of protest would you find respectful that would also get your attention?
    They can have something as simple as a sign that is displayed, they can wear a logo supporting their belief, hold protest or/and say something about it when they are being interviewed.

The issue is a large group of people see it as a group of people being disrespectful to another group of people to make a point.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    They can have something as simple as a sign that is displayed, they can wear a logo supporting their belief, hold protest or/and say something about it when they are being interviewed.

The issue is a large group of people see it as a group of people being disrespectful to another group of people to make a point.
    Is now a good time to hoist up my confederate flag?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    How about one that actually protests something real ?
    This is a matter of opinion.

Is it real or isn't the issue real and to what extent.

There is a meme on facebook that shows someone standing in front of a large pile of bodies that were shot by police officers. The person in front of the pile is making a comment that there is nothing to see here. How many non-white people were shot wrongly over the last 10 years? I know it happens but it was less than the pile of bodies in the picture. The pile looked like dozens and dozens of bodies. People see that meme and think there are hundreds of non-white people being shot yearly who are unarmed. IF you question the meme you get "Prove to me it's not hundreds of people"....

Before or after Trump opened his yapper?

I could, but would it really matter to you?
    If they had a valid gripe it would be independent of what Trump says or doesn't say. But alas they don't.

Sure it would matter, You won't find any,, but I'll wait anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    This is a matter of opinion.

Is it real or isn't the issue real and to what extent.

There is a meme on facebook that shows someone standing in front of a large pile of bodies that were shot by police officers. The person in front of the pile is making a comment that there is nothing to see here. How many non-white people were shot wrongly over the last 10 years? I know it happens but it was less than the pile of bodies in the picture. The pile looked like dozens and dozens of bodies. People see that meme and think there are hundreds of non-white people being shot yearly who are unarmed. IF you question the meme you get "Prove to me it's not hundreds of people"....
    Attracting the attention of law enforcement has to do with behavior NOT race. What individual police officers do when that contact is made is individual. I am not aware that police are indiscrimately pulling black people off the streets for incarceration or abuse. The greatest threats to black lives continues to be black lives. So their communities would be better served by athletes setting good examples, which won't be displayed by NFL players, it much easier to kneel I suppose.

The problem with this whole thing is that people have lost the context of it. When there were riots in Ferguson everybody said why can’t they just protest peacefully. Now they’re protesting peacefully and people have a problem with that. And nobody is disrespecting anything. This started out as a protest against police brutality you. Now myself, I would never Kneel during the national anthem. I serve this country in the army so maybe I have a different perspective about that. I even stand for the national anthem when I’m watching the game at home on television. But I’ve also never been a black man in America. I don’t know what it feels like to be racially profiled. I don’t know what it feels like to feel like I have disadvantages based on the color of my skin. I don’t know what it feels like to be black in to be looked at differently by the police and buy other races. So how can I, as a human being, try to stop These people from protesting and taking a stand against something that they feel strongly about that I cannot relate to?
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

If they had a valid gripe it would be independent of what Trump says or doesn't say. But alas they don't.
    People murdered by police seems valid. I guess thats my bleeding heart liberalism talking though....

Sure it would matter, You won't find any,, but I'll wait anyway.
    Here is how this will play out. I will list both specific and/or general examples and you will respond with something along the lines of thugs, drugs, welfare babies etc... thus strengthening my argument in my view and yours to you.

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    The problem with this whole thing is that people have lost the context of it. When there were riots in Ferguson everybody said why can’t they just protest peacefully. Now they’re protesting peacefully and people have a problem with that. And nobody is disrespecting anything. This started out as a protest against police brutality you. Now myself, I would never Kneel during the national anthem. I serve this country in the army so maybe I have a different perspective about that. I even stand for the national anthem when I’m watching the game at home on television. But I’ve also never been a black man in America. I don’t know what it feels like to be racially profiled. I don’t know what it feels like to feel like I have disadvantages based on the color of my skin. I don’t know what it feels like to be black in to be looked at differently by the police and buy other races. So how can I, as a human being, try to stop These people from protesting and taking a stand against something that they feel strongly about that I cannot relate to?
    Basically this. I have seen individual examples of racial injustice. When you witness it first hand, its like a punch in the gut. I can't imagine what it would be to deal with that on a daily basis....

It happens all over the place. People wonder why the middle east has been in turmoil for so long, but can't seem to come grasp that racism in this country could still be prevalent after only 148 years...
    Last edited by Jeff; September 25th, 2017 at 03:52 PM.

The problem with this whole thing is that people have lost the context of it.
    Context is changing.

When there were riots in Ferguson everybody said why can’t they just protest peacefully. Now they’re protesting peacefully and people have a problem with that. And nobody is disrespecting anything. This started out as a protest against police brutality you. Now myself, I would never Kneel during the national anthem. I serve this country in the army so maybe I have a different perspective about that. I even stand for the national anthem when I’m watching the game at home on television.
    You don't get to decided what people find disrespectful. At the end of the day, if people find kneeling for the anthem disrespectful then it's disrespectful.

There are multiple ways these players can protest one thing without disrespecting others.

For example, they could protest by refusing to play for a quarter, half or game. But that would cost them money. They could refuse to speak to the media outside of talking about social issues. That would still cause a fine but would not hold up the game and most likely would actually get the most attention on their issues. Multiple ways.

But I’ve also never been a black man in America. I don’t know what it feels like to be racially profiled. I don’t know what it feels like to feel like I have disadvantages based on the color of my skin. I don’t know what it feels like to be back in to be looked at differently by the police and buy other races. So how can I, as a human being, try to stop These people from protesting and taking a stand against something that they feel strongly about that I cannot relate to?
    It's a bit of a double standard when it's ok for blacks to profile police officers based on the actions of a tiny % but when police officers profile blacks based on actions of a much higher %. No?

I would love to have an open conversation about the issues we have with police in the US. But I am only interested in doing so if every issue can be talked about. But blacks in the country don't want to have an open conversation and discuss their shortcomings. They just want to talk about how they were wrongs and how they didn du nufin.

People murdered by police seems valid. I guess thats my bleeding heart liberalism talking though....
    If you cared as much about all murder you would look like such a stupid bleeding heart liberal when you make comments like this.

But talking about the outright culling that is going on right now by blacks against blacks is a bit too dificult for those with thin skin....so I guess I can see where you might say this.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Attracting the attention of law enforcement has to do with behavior NOT race. What individual police officers do when that contact is made is individual. I am not aware that police are indiscrimately pulling black people off the streets for incarceration or abuse. The greatest threats to black lives continues to be black lives. So their communities would be better served by athletes setting good examples, which won't be displayed by NFL players, it much easier to kneel I suppose.

Here is is..

Attracting the attention of law enforcement has to do with behavior NOT race.
    Sorry, but I have seen otherwise first hand.

The greatest threats to black lives continues to be black lives.
    And the greatest threat to whites, is whites.

So their communities would be better served by athletes setting good examples, which won't be displayed by NFL players, it much easier to kneel I suppose.
    Seems that more do than don't. We just hear about the "don'ts" just like everything else...

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Context is changing.

You don't get to decided what people find disrespectful. At the end of the day, if people find kneeling for the anthem disrespectful then it's disrespectful.

There are multiple ways these players can protest one thing without disrespecting others.

For example, they could protest by refusing to play for a quarter, half or game. But that would cost them money. They could refuse to speak to the media outside of talking about social issues. That would still cause a fine but would not hold up the game and most likely would actually get the most attention on their issues. Multiple ways.

It's a bit of a double standard when it's ok for blacks to profile police officers based on the actions of a tiny % but when police officers profile blacks based on actions of a much higher %. No?

I would love to have an open conversation about the issues we have with police in the US. But I am only interested in doing so if every issue can be talked about. But blacks in the country don't want to have an open conversation and discuss their shortcomings. They just want to talk about how they were wrongs and how they didn du nufin.

If you cared as much about all murder you would look like such a stupid bleeding heart liberal when you make comments like this.

But talking about the outright culling that is going on right now by blacks against blacks is a bit too dificult for those with thin skin....so I guess I can see where you might say this.
    I don’t know about all of those things but I do know this. A lot of young black men went to Vietnam to fight for this country exit right and turn left and came home two cities like Detroit, Memphis, Birmingham, you name the city turn left. Walked into a lunch room or a diner or a restaurant and said down at the counter and couldn’t get served. Is that the country they fight for? Is that what they’re supposed to respect? The point being there is a double standard when it comes to how races are treated in this country it’s always been like that, it hasn’t changed. Police brutality may have been the linchpin for how this protest started but it really points to a bigger issue, like I just explained. And yes you’re right about a lot of the things that you say and I don’t really have a leg to stand on because I’ve been guilty of being prejudiced and somewhat racist in my life but the bottom line is, this is what there’s trying to stand for and what’s detracting from the reason for the protagonist is all of the media , And remarks by Trump and people taking sides and turning it into a completely different issue. And sorry for the typos, voice to text blows in an iPad
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    If one wants RESPECT...then He or SHE should Act respectful...what so difficult ..no matter what your view on in life or politics may be .
    How much respect should a white man in authority get when he tells a group of black man to be quiet and do as they’re told?
    HipKat's Blog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information