Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog Control management/cost; back to the future?

From my perspective, I still feel that I voted for the lesser of two evils

Georgia L Schlager

[QUOTE=shortstuff;1751361]
    Quote Originally Posted by DebLemaster View Post

I have to disagree with you here Deb, Fudoli was left with a monumental problem once the death of the previous DCO happened-sadly, his structure plan needed more planning if he were re-elected I suspect he would have continued the project. His first initial idea to consolidate was a good one. He needed to do a total re-do which for anyone, that was a work in progress. He just didn't finish the project.
    He always had good intentions but the cuts were too deep. The proof is what we are dealing with today.

Upon the death of the last full time DCO, Fudoli’s administration took over an inefficiently run dog control operation – records near nonexistent. The Walden Avenue dog facility was in great disrepair – a literal pig pen. The facility was sold under the assumption Lancaster was going to consolidate some services with Clarence. Clarence most likely backed out when they discovered the shoddy Lancaster operation.

Fudoli and the other four board members acted in unison in approving all resolutions to get to where we are today; three years later still using a call system; a ‘call system’ that doesn’t work, one that no other town uses and a town without a full-time DCO.

The current administration has made improvements but last year’s budget (2017) had no increase in spending and finds itself in a precarious position should an occasion lead to legal suit resulting from a department ill funded to manage state regulated requirements and protocols.

Some remark that Mrs. Karn is looking to make her part-time position into a full-time position. West Seneca, a like-size town has 2 full-time DCO's - as does Clarence; Tonawanda/Kenmore Cheektowaga and Hamburg have full-time DCO''s.

The board has been well-informed of departmental needs to function accordingly and whether those needs will be met will be reflected in this coming week’s tentative 2018 budget. Enough of the town's ‘work in progress’ mantra; enough of the blame game!

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    The current administration has made improvements but last year’s budget (2017) had no increase in spending
    Yet, in the supervisor's tentative budget statement last year, she stated,
    "there have been adjustments in the budget to allow for a restructuring of the Dog Control Department"
    http://www.lancasterny.gov/index.php...atement-2/file

Then reduced the total salaries for that department from $40,000 down to $34,000. Apparently, restructuring means reduction of services.

Georgia L Schlager

Another detailed report (Sept. 2017) by head DCO Karn. 226 complaints or calls received. 12 total dogs picked up, ten redeemed by owner, 118 follow ups on delinquent licenses and two court cases.

The town intends to hire Mrs. Karn full time at a salary of $50,000 (money in the tentative budget) with no benefits. Good move IMHO.

I realize that she won't receive health care benefits carried by her husband but will she earn benefit time - vacation and sick time and pension contributions?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I realize that she won't receive health care benefits carried by her husband but will she earn benefit time - vacation and sick time and pension contributions?
    A fair question to ask the town board at the budget public hearing on Monday evening.

Examining the Control of Dogs budget I see no line item that would cover benefit expenses beyond salary stipulation.

Last year, Supervisor Coleman as Fudoli did in the past put out a budget statement letter with the tentative budget.
    Those budget statements detailed changes pro and con in the new budget.
    This year nothing that I can find.
    Here's last year's statement.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Last year, Supervisor Coleman as Fudoli did in the past put out a budget statement letter with the tentative budget.
    Those budget statements detailed changes pro and con in the new budget.
    This year nothing that I can find.
    Here's last year's statement.
    Perhaps there is no statement because in this year’s budget spending has increased significantly, four hires this year vs. none last year, the tax levy (amount to be raised by taxation) increases by 4.74%, etc.

The first tax rate increase in five years, but hey, we are under the tax cap.

Great job Lancaster Dog Control

Town of Lancaster Dog Control shared Amy Marracino's post.
    Amy Marracino added 4 new photos.

Lancaster Dog Control put out a plea for help to all local dog rescues and once again Against All Oddz Animal Alliance answered the call. Meet “BUSTER”. This 11 year old beagle mix was left without a family or home when his owner recently passed away. He was not an adoptable candidate for the Erie County SPCA due to his age and many medical issues. He has an infection in both ears, can’t hear well, advanced periodontal problems, the onset of cataracts in both eyes, arthritic hips, and other old age issues. That being said, Buster has the heart of a puppy and needed a chance to be happy with a new family in a home full of love. Lancaster Dog Control, Against All Oddz Rescue and All Dawgs Academy worked together to make the rest of Buster’s life happy. A wonderful family came forward to foster Buster and the second they saw him they decided to love him forever. As you can see in the photo, Buster made himself right at home with his new family. He’s surrounded by love, and is doing great with a doggy brother and kitty siblings. He’s on prescription meds for his ears and will see the vet again tomorrow (and many more times) for his teeth and other issues. Thank you Lancaster Dog Control for going well beyond and joining with Against All Oddz Animal Alliance to save Buster! Most of all, thank you to Buster’s new family! It’s wonderful when a senior dog gets adopted!

Georgia L Schlager

Thank you for posting the above, Gorja.

The teamwork that made this happen is to be commended. I am a client of Alliance Animal Hospital and in getting to know head DCO Jean Karn Lancaster now believe that Lancaster has a credible/accountable animal control program in place and with coordinating efforts with Alliance and other shelters really has the best interests of the dogs and dog owners in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Thank you for posting the above, Gorja.

The teamwork that made this happen is to be commended. I am a client of Alliance Animal Hospital and in getting to know head DCO Jean Karn Lancaster now believe that Lancaster has a credible/accountable animal control program in place and with coordinating efforts with Alliance and other shelters really has the best interests of the dogs and dog owners in mind.
    I agree Lee. I feel so much better knowing DCO Jean Karn is a caring individual who is a wonderful advocate for the dogs that have no where to go.

Once again Dog Control Officer Jean Karn has submitted a detailed November operations report into Monday evening’s communications. In summary:

188 complaints or calls received
    0 Euthanasias
    6 Redeemed by owner
    0 Strays seized
    1 Dead dog disposed of
    26 Court actions
    92 Follow-ups (Delinquent licenses)
    1,415 Miles patrolled and driven
    7 Total dogs picked up

In another matter, the town board by resolution will be spending $3,700 to purchase and install a new heating and cooling system for the dog kennels. The original units had been repaired under warrantee and were again not operating efficiently and out of warrantee.

One who loves dogs has to be pleased with the town’s improved dog control operation and the hiring of Mrs. Karn who has proven to manage a clean and efficient operation.

I am very pleased with the information provided Lee.

Question: Who was the Animal Control Officer in February, 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    I am very pleased with the information provided Lee.

Question: Who was the Animal Control Officer in February, 2014?
    lewis Pacanowski

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information