Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yankees..off Season Moves

Yankees..off Season Moves

Yankees Win Rights to Japan's Igawa
    Wednesday, November 29, 2006 1:00 AM EST
    The Associated Press
    By RONALD BLUM

NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Yankees got a chance to sign a Japanese pitcher on their second try this offseason, winning the rights Tuesday to Kei Igawa after losing out to the Boston Red Sox two weeks ago for Daisuke Matsuzaka.

New York's offer of $26,000,194 — the last three digits matching his strikeout total this year — was the highest bid among major league teams for Igawa, and it was accepted Tuesday by his Japanese team, the Hanshin Tigers.

"The Yankees are a team with a lot of tradition," Igawa said at a news conference in Osaka. "They get a lot of media attention, like the Tigers do. I was surprised to hear the team bid that much for me, and I feel like today I've taken another step toward realizing my dream."

Boston bid $51.1 million earlier this month to win the right to negotiate with the Seibu Lions' Matsuzaka, the MVP of the World Baseball Classic and a possible No. 1 starter.

A 27-year-old left-hander, Igawa could compete for a spot at the back of New York's rotation next season behind Chien-Ming Wang, Mike Mussina and Randy Johnson. Carl Pavano, coming off 1 1/2 seasons of injuries, also would be in the rotation if healthy, and the Yankees have expressed possible interest in signing Ted Lilly or Gil Meche.

New York has until midnight at the end of Dec. 28 to work out a contract with Igawa's agent, Arn Tellem — who also represents Yankees left fielder Hideki Matsui.

"Throughout the years, I have enjoyed an excellent working relationship with the Yankees and look forward to completing successful negotiations on behalf of Igawa," Tellem said in a statement. "It will be an honor for me to help put him in pinstripes for the 2007 season."

Igawa allowed a home run to the New York Mets' David Wright this month during an exhibition game between Japanese and major league stars.

"We have been following Kei Igawa's very successful and accomplished career in Japan, and we are excited about the opportunity to begin the negotiating process with him," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said in a statement.

The Yankees pay Hanshin only if they reach an agreement with Igawa.

"I am very pleased to have the rights to sign him for the Yankees," owner George Steinbrenner said in a statement issued by spokesman Howard Rubenstein.

The Yankees bid between $32 million and $33 million for Matsuzaka. The Red Sox have until midnight at the end of Dec. 14 to agree to a deal with Matsuzaka and his agent, Scott Boras.

"I'm looking forward to having a pitching duel with Matsuzaka," Igawa said. "I know the fans there have very high expectations and I'll do my best to live up to them."

After the bidding on Igawa closed Monday, the Tigers were informed of the amount of the high bid, but not which team made it. The Mets bid between $15 million and $16 million for Igawa, a baseball official said on condition of anonymity because the amounts of losing bids are not disclosed.

Igawa went 14-9 last season with a 2.97 ERA. He tied for the Central League lead in strikeouts — he won strikeout titles in 2002 and 2004.

Igawa, the Central League's 2003 MVP, has an 86-60 record with a 3.15 ERA. He would have to play in Japan for three more seasons before he could become a free agent.

Also this month, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays won the rights to Japanese infielder Akinori Iwamura of the Yakult Swallows with a bid of about $4.5 million.

———

AP Sports Writer Jim Armstrong in Tokyo contributed to this report.

See more stories in this category
    Back to Previous Page
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

More Moves

11/27/06 Signed RHP pitcher Mike Mussina to a two-year contract.

11/20/06 Purchased the contract of LHP Chase Wright from Single-A Tampa; Purchased the contract of RHP Jeff Kennard from Double-A Tranton; Purchased the contract of OF Bronson Sardinha from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes Barre.

11/12/06 Acquired RHP Chris Britton from Baltimore for RHP Jaret Wright and cash considerations.

11/10/06 Acquired RHPs Humberto Sanchez, Kevin Whelan and Anthony Claggett from the Detroit Tigers in exchange for OF Gary Sheffield.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs up

Who cares about the Yankees?

Go Sox!!!

The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

That was a good move by the Yanks to get Kei Igawa. But it dosent matter they still suck.
    The tree of man was never quiet:
    Then 'twas the Roman, now 'tis I.
    - A. E. Housman

Unregistered

Talking Sorry Stevenco

As Riven would say...

dumb thread just dum dum dum
    move on waiste of time hear

hee hee hee

another boaring thread

hum..really

It figures, Yankee hate, would come from Stevenco, and theriasing .......
    Riven37
    _________

Baseball?

Hockey is where it is at.
    "All government, -indeed, every human benefit and enjoyment, every virtue and every prudent act,- is founded on compromise..." -Edmund Burke
    A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910), (attributed)
    Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004 George W. Bush

pittsburg and toronto are closer then the Yankees. cleveland is just down the lake and the bisons parent club why bother with pin stripes. its a day trip to the three closer teams. and all three are family friendly. So now your excited about who they have bought for this year. when a team buys new meat every year why even pay attention
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Aaa

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob
    pittsburg and toronto are closer then the Yankees. cleveland is just down the lake and the bisons parent club why bother with pin stripes. its a day trip to the three closer teams. and all three are family friendly. So now your excited about who they have bought for this year. when a team buys new meat every year why even pay attention
    Might as watch the locals if you want to watch baseball.
    "All government, -indeed, every human benefit and enjoyment, every virtue and every prudent act,- is founded on compromise..." -Edmund Burke
    A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
    Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004 George W. Bush

I do watch the locals. my grandson is in little league and I follow Orchard Parks high School baseball team
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob
    I do watch the locals. my grandson is in little league and I follow Orchard Parks high School baseball team
    I'll bet it is far more entertaining too because it matters more to them then the pros.

hum

12/8/06 Signed LHP Andy Pettitte to a one-year contract with a one-year player option.

12/7/06 Selected INF Josh Phelps in the Major League phase of the Rule 5 Draft.

12/4/06 Signed C Raul Chavez to a Minor League contract and invited him to Spring Training.
    Riven37
    _________

Riven, here's the Yankee bikini you wanted in your size.
    I'm sure it will look gr8 on you. You'll be a chick magnet.

Last edited by Stevenco; December 11th, 2006 at 12:42 AM. Reason: none

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information