Thread: Anti Alice Magierski Mailers

Anti Alice Magierski Mailers

Came in over the weekend.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So who sent this out?

Someone sent this to me earlier this week.

$1,000,000 over 30 years is $33k a year. Honestly that really isn't bad depending on the position.

This is why we need to vote yes on a state convention. How does one make 33k a year on average yet receive a $52,261 pension benefit? It's because the rules on the books allow this to happen. They need to change. Pensions should be based on your average salary not what you have pad with over time or a couple of high years.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    So who sent this out?

$1,000,000 over 30 years is $33k a year. Honestly that really isn't bad depending on the position.

This is why we need to vote yes on a state convention. How does one make 33k a year on average yet receive a $52,261 pension benefit? It's because the rules on the books allow this to happen. They need to change. Pensions should be based on your average salary not what you have pad with over time or a couple of high years.
    She made more than $33k per year I think as Town Clerk. More troubling is her taking her salary and pension at the same time without a penalty, something other municipal employees cannot do, while having taxpayers also pick up the tab for her health care for life.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    So who sent this out?

She probably started at 12 k a year, finished at 75-80k a year, so yes whatever the average was doesn't matter, it mattters what she made in her last few years which is what a pension is based on. The same tard logic used by the town re saving over a million dollars ( over 10 years) by abolishing deputy hwy job, that must be the new buzz word used by town morons, or they watched Austin powers and were impressed by Dr Evil wanting "1 million dollars"

And if you honestly think that a convention will fix issues like this you're sniffing too much air duster

Does this sound as bad to you as it does to me? She isn't denying it, she's justifying it --"Double Dipping is legal in NYs".

http://cheektowagachronicle.com/anti...mary-campaign/

CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. – A last-minute negative political mailer targeting Councilmember Alice Magierski has muddied the waters of what has been – up until this weekend – a clean Democratic primary campaign.

The mailer accuses Ms. Magierski of “double dipping” on her New York State pension by drawing a town salary, taking advantage of a lifetime health insurance benefit from the town, and voted to fire a “political enemy” who was a bingo inspector that served in World War II.

Cheektowaga Chronicle spoke to Ms. Magierski Monday, and she is firing back at the claims.

The Accusations

“I’m not an inactive councilmember, I’m a contributing councilmember. I’m out in the public, I’m always looking for ways to improve our services responsive to the residents,” said Ms. Magierski.

Data obtained from SeeThroughNY.net shows that Ms. Magierski will draw a pension of $52,261 this year. Her town council salary is $20,680. The mailer accuses Ms. Magierski of “double dipping,” the process of drawing a government salary while also taking a government pension.

“Whether I’m receiving a salary for council or somebody else it, it’s still a salary that’s paid to a councilmember. I’m not costing the taxpayers money for being a councilmember. It’s a position that is being contributed to. I earn what I’m getting in that position,”

Double dipping is legal in New York State for employees earning up to $30,000. If the employee makes more than $30,000 without a waiver from the state, their pension is suspended.

Rochester’s Democrat and Chronicle reported in June 2017 that twelve members of the state Assembly and five state senators collected a salary and pension in 2016.

The mailer also takes aim at Mr. Magierski’s lifetime health insurance benefit.

Brian Krause, Director of Administration & Finance for the Town of Cheektowaga says employees hired before 2012, are eligible for lifetime health coverage (at a cost of 5% or 10% of the premiums depending on when they were hired) if they retire into the NYS retirement system at the time of discontinuance of service and they have completed 10 consecutive years of service with the Town. Employees hired after 2012 have the same option but must pay 100% of the premiums.

“I do contribute a percentage of the cost to the town, but it’s a benefit that is given. Almost all the employees have lifetime benefits,” said Ms. Magierski.

As for the accusation that she fired town bingo inspector Anthony Prep, a World War II veteran because he was a political enemy she says,” My husband was a Vietnam combat veteran. I have complete and total respect for veterans. I lived a year not knowing if my husband was going to return home. To exploit (Anthony Prep’s) position and to exploit him as a political weapon, I feel is very degrading to those veterans. It’s not fair to be throwing that out there.”

Ms. Magierski says the bingo inspector position is a yearly political appointment and not a full-time job. She says Mr. Prep knew that he had to be reappointed every year just as the two other inspectors.

“There was no vengeance, there was no retaliation. I have nothing against Mr. Prep, we speak, and in fact, at the last endorsement meeting, he told me he voted for me,” added Ms. Magierski.

Reached by phone on Monday, Mr. Prep confirms to Cheektowaga Chronicle her statement.

“I did say that, but I’m not going to vote for her now,” said Mr. Prep. He did not elaborate on why he changed his mind.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheektavegas View Post
    She made more than $33k per year I think as Town Clerk. More troubling is her taking her salary and pension at the same time without a penalty, something other municipal employees cannot do, while having taxpayers also pick up the tab for her health care for life.
    Only one group to blame for what happens in our town. The Cheektowaga Democratic Social club.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
    Does this sound as bad to you as it does to me? She isn't denying it, she's justifying it --"Double Dipping is legal in NYs".

http://cheektowagachronicle.com/anti...mary-campaign/

CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. – A last-minute negative political mailer targeting Councilmember Alice Magierski has muddied the waters of what has been – up until this weekend – a clean Democratic primary campaign.

The mailer accuses Ms. Magierski of “double dipping” on her New York State pension by drawing a town salary, taking advantage of a lifetime health insurance benefit from the town, and voted to fire a “political enemy” who was a bingo inspector that served in World War II.

Cheektowaga Chronicle spoke to Ms. Magierski Monday, and she is firing back at the claims.

The Accusations

“I’m not an inactive councilmember, I’m a contributing councilmember. I’m out in the public, I’m always looking for ways to improve our services responsive to the residents,” said Ms. Magierski.

Data obtained from SeeThroughNY.net shows that Ms. Magierski will draw a pension of $52,261 this year. Her town council salary is $20,680. The mailer accuses Ms. Magierski of “double dipping,” the process of drawing a government salary while also taking a government pension.

“Whether I’m receiving a salary for council or somebody else it, it’s still a salary that’s paid to a councilmember. I’m not costing the taxpayers money for being a councilmember. It’s a position that is being contributed to. I earn what I’m getting in that position,”

Double dipping is legal in New York State for employees earning up to $30,000. If the employee makes more than $30,000 without a waiver from the state, their pension is suspended.

Rochester’s Democrat and Chronicle reported in June 2017 that twelve members of the state Assembly and five state senators collected a salary and pension in 2016.

The mailer also takes aim at Mr. Magierski’s lifetime health insurance benefit.

Brian Krause, Director of Administration & Finance for the Town of Cheektowaga says employees hired before 2012, are eligible for lifetime health coverage (at a cost of 5% or 10% of the premiums depending on when they were hired) if they retire into the NYS retirement system at the time of discontinuance of service and they have completed 10 consecutive years of service with the Town. Employees hired after 2012 have the same option but must pay 100% of the premiums.

“I do contribute a percentage of the cost to the town, but it’s a benefit that is given. Almost all the employees have lifetime benefits,” said Ms. Magierski.

As for the accusation that she fired town bingo inspector Anthony Prep, a World War II veteran because he was a political enemy she says,” My husband was a Vietnam combat veteran. I have complete and total respect for veterans. I lived a year not knowing if my husband was going to return home. To exploit (Anthony Prep’s) position and to exploit him as a political weapon, I feel is very degrading to those veterans. It’s not fair to be throwing that out there.”

Ms. Magierski says the bingo inspector position is a yearly political appointment and not a full-time job. She says Mr. Prep knew that he had to be reappointed every year just as the two other inspectors.

“There was no vengeance, there was no retaliation. I have nothing against Mr. Prep, we speak, and in fact, at the last endorsement meeting, he told me he voted for me,” added Ms. Magierski.

Reached by phone on Monday, Mr. Prep confirms to Cheektowaga Chronicle her statement.

“I did say that, but I’m not going to vote for her now,” said Mr. Prep. He did not elaborate on why he changed his mind.
    Don't hate the player...hate the game. I'm not a fan of Alice, but she did not make the rule. The Constitutional convention is no golden ticket to a fix. All fixes can be done without it but the players need to sponsor the bills to amend the constitution. It happens but not too often. The 1965 convention brought up several changes, when these where put to vote in 1968 to the NYS voters, ALL failed as they were lumped together in typical NY fashion to push through some crap mixed in with the good and it went down like the Hindenberg. So just because there is a convention doesn't mean anything is changing. The convention is just the first step to possible changes.
    Last edited by Electric Eye; September 11th, 2017 at 11:18 PM.

She's in last with 86% reporting

VOTES

PCT.

Magierski 1,882 23.1%
     Meyers 2,080 25.5%
     Nowak 2,255 27.7%
     Rogowski 1,926 23.7%

Cheektowaga Council

97% reporting

CANDIDATE

VOTES

PCT.