Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Detroit's tiny homes - mail order

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Detroit's tiny homes - mail order

Detroit's tiny homes offer a big chance for struggling residents

his is Detroit, not Hobbiton.

Just like the tiny homes of the hobbits in the "Lord of The Rings" series, the Cass Community Center Tiny Homes Project looks cute. But its small buildings house big hopes.

Four years ago, Detroit became the biggest American city in history to file for bankruptcy, brought down by a snowballing financial crisis that followed huge layoffs at the city's major employers General Motors (GM) and Chrysler.
    Today, Detroit is in a period of economic recovery, yet many of its hardest hit residents still don't have adequate housing. The homeless population is around 2,000 and dwindling, according to city authorities. But uncertainty hangs over low-income earners, who struggle to keep up with the rising cost of living.
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/25/news...5AMVODtopVideo

Why do various people in Buffalo spend so much on "low income" housing development when there are options like this?

I don't trust the accuracy/veracity of anything put out by CNN, one of the leading purveyors of fake news. That said, so much is spent on "low income" housing for two reasons. First, white suburban Democrats use publicly funded low income housing designed to prevent its beneficiaries from ever achieving home ownership with all the benefits it provides in order to control them and keep them in line as a reliable voting block. Second, they use low income housing policy to prevent its beneficiaries from moving into their neighborhoods.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Well this needs to change. Home ownership is a good thing as long as you don't have a group give a monopoly of services to small groups of people. YOu know what happens with that. YOu end up having the highest property taxes in the area.

Yea - what he said =
    Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    I don't trust the accuracy/veracity of anything put out by CNN, one of the leading purveyors of fake news. That said, so much is spent on "low income" housing for two reasons. First, white suburban Democrats use publicly funded low income housing designed to prevent its beneficiaries from ever achieving home ownership with all the benefits it provides in order to control them and keep them in line as a reliable voting block. Second, they use low income housing policy to prevent its beneficiaries from moving into their neighborhoods.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Detroit is getting a neighborhood of tiny homes that homeless people rent to own

Tiny homes are being built around the country for a variety of reasons — some are designed for affordability, others are prefabricated to be constructed quickly, and some are made by people who simply choose to live a minimalist lifestyle.

In Detroit, an entire neighborhood of tiny houses is under construction, with one primary goal: giving homeless and low-income people the opportunity to own a house.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/detro...to-own-2016-10

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Detroit tiny house project is ‘game changer’

Calling it a “game changer” that could be a test-case for transforming some of Detroit’s blighted neighborhoods, Cass Community Social Services and its supporters on Thursday unveiled a 300-square-foot tiny house, the first unit of a 25-unit project that will eventually become the city’s largest tiny house development.

Crowds lined up on the sidewalk to see inside the Tudor-style house with a stucco exterior and fresh sod on Elmhurst just west of the Lodge Freeway (M-10). The house will serve as a model unit until six more are built on nearby Monterey Street this fall. Once they’re finished, formerly homeless people and low-income seniors and students who meet certain criteria will move into all seven tiny homes, hopefully by late October.

“This is not just about a house,” Richard Lord, treasurer of the RNR Foundation, which has donated $65,000 toward the $1.5 million project. “It’s about changing the lives of the people who will be here.”
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ject/90005674/

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Welcome to T.H.E....D! Tiny House Experience Detroit!

You're probably wondering what THED is right? Let me give you the short version. I have been fascinated with Tiny Houses for several years now and have wanted to build one ever since. I saw my first Tiny House (TH) on Pinterest and thought it was the coolest little house I had ever seen. All kinds of possibilities started popping up in my head......back yard office, mobile office for those who need a temporary place to set up shop, camping, etc. But before I ever set my eyes on a Tiny House I was interested in urban gardens in Detroit. My wife and I had volunteered with the Greening of Detroit and loved the experience. I researched and realized that there is a ton of land in Detroit not being used and it is just sitting there vacant doing nothing.

That's when I came up with the idea for Tiny Houses and Urban Gardens in Detroit. Right now there are several urban gardens throughout the city but there are no TH villages. I thought it would be really cool to combine the two and create a unique sustainable village where people can not only experience what it is like to work an urban garden but also see what it is like to stay in a Tiny House. The grand plan is to also have spaces available for other TH owners to come to Detroit and stay at our village to experience what we love about the city. In effect, creating a destination for people to come to Detroit and experience all of the positive things that we have to offer but in a really unique way.
    http://www.tinyhouseexperiencedetroit.com/index.html

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Tiny houses in Detroit aim to improve lives of poor, community

They may not be mansions or sprawling estates, but they will be "home" nonetheless for dozens of Detroit residents who otherwise may not become homeowners.

The first of 25 new tiny homes made its public debut Thursday in a neighborhood on Detroit’s west side, part of a project that aims to transform two blocks into a community for people previously shut out of homeownership.

Cass Community Social Services is spearheading the $1.5-million project to build the small homes over the next couple of years. The Rev. Faith Fowler, the group’s executive director, said the houses will be between 250 and 400 square feet and will be reserved for low-income owners.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...roit/90001520/

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Big dreams, tiny houses: Detroit project offers affordable, rent-to-own housing

Standing on a large swath of green grass dotted with trees just west of the M-10 service drive in Detroit, the Rev. Faith Fowler doesn’t see vacant lots where two abandoned houses once stood. She sees future tiny houses.

Soon, work will begin on a model unit for an ambitious project for Fowler’s agency, Cass Community Social Services. It plans to build 25 tiny houses primarily for formerly homeless people in Detroit that they would rent to own over a period of seven years.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ject/85142612/

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Detroit’s tiny houses give residents a home to rebuild their lives

JUDY WOODRUFF: Very small houses have become all the rage in recent years, as some people trade in their traditional lifestyles for an ostensibly simpler option: places that are less than 400 square feet. Well, today, there’s a twist. Tiny houses are being seen as a way to give homeless and low-income people the chance at homeownership.

Jeffrey Brown visited Detroit to find out more for our ongoing series on poverty and opportunity in America, “Chasing the Dream.”

JEFFREY BROWN: They may be tiny, but they have lofty goals: putting roofs over the heads of people who never dreamed they could own a home.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/detro...rebuild-lives/

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Tiny Homes Detroit: Everything you want to know

A lot of questions have come up regarding the community of tiny homes developing in Detroit for the low-income population. We wanted to answer some of the most frequent questions and welcome more. It’s certainly a different program for Detroit, but one that’s growing in different areas around the country. Here we go.
    Why don’t you just renovate some of the thousands of abandoned houses around Detroit?

True, Detroit has many abandoned houses. The cost of renovation is high, as is the cost of maintaining a larger house. The electric bill including heat in the winter is estimated at $32 a month in a tiny home.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/5/31...roit-questions

CNN and Chris Cuomo can suck it.

WNY, Judy Woodruff says " little houses" are all the rage in America. You got one? Your neighbor got one? Can you think of anyone you know who has one? Can you think of anywhere in western New York where these things are all the rage? Is there anywhere in all of New York State where this is a trend? Like solar roofs it's all fake news. Do you want to live like a welfare recipient in Michigan? I'll pass on that one, thank you.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    WNY, Judy Woodruff says " little houses" are all the rage in America. You got one? Your neighbor got one? Can you think of anyone you know who has one? Can you think of anywhere in western New York where these things are all the rage? Is there anywhere in all of New York State where this is a trend? Like solar roofs it's all fake news. Do you want to live like a welfare recipient in Michigan? I'll pass on that one, thank you.

I don't know anyone who currently has one. WHat I do know is more people could be helped with this compared to building costly "low income" housing apartments. Or, subsidized full size homes. No one said we are going to put Grump in a tiny home. This would be a less expensive way to house people.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post

Why do various people in Buffalo spend so much on "low income" housing development when there are options like this?
    From what I understand the reason you dont see them a lot in cities is because they dont meet code requirements in most major metros
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information