Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New global Amazon headquarters to Buffalo New York

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by jennifer7 View Post
    Now Toys R US went bankrupt, more store closings, For WNY, more empty buildings, less jobs and less tax revenue to add to the already bleeding shrinking tax base, just about everywhere else the empty Toys R US stores, won't say vacant long because new retailers will move in
    When it rains, it pours, Wal Green just purchased Rite Aid and WNY has lots of Rite Aids , where every their's a Rite Aid near a Wal Green, they will close the Rite Aid store, you guessed it, more vacant building

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jennifer7 View Post
    But then again, like most of the half of WNY's population that has already left. and lots more are fleeing. The blind sheep (aka One Buffalo, Buffalo Love" etc) they get what they deserve
    You have to give groups like buffalo love and One Buffalo credit for promoting Buffalo. You have to make the best of what you have.

I'm just truly surprised at the extent people will go in "government" to spend our tax money.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    You have to give groups like buffalo love and One Buffalo credit for promoting Buffalo. You have to make the best of what you have.

I'm just truly surprised at the extent people will go in "government" to spend our tax money.
    Go to One Buffalo Facebook page their's more people that live outside WNY then still live in WNY on it and Buffalo Risings story today about One Seneca plans were scrubbed because their were O pre signed leases and actually O interest from any ouside business's or investors. But the Town of Tonwanda unions are picketing and want rises because they want the community to reinvest in them. not that there already the highest paid, (more then double) and have the highest pensions, & benefits in the country. So Sad what the privillege class aka local governmemts, special interests, corrupt politicians and well connected did) WNY doesn't have have to much more to lose other then what privelleged class salarys, pensions, benefits and the Buffalo Bills. One day the federal government will have to bail out Erie County & NYS because they won't be enough money to afford to pay for the basic sevices and when that happens, Their will be one government to provide the basic services, one school dist., PD, FD, public works etc.... not too far off either, 3, 5 years away ?

Unregistered

Better yet, You have this web site SPEAK UP WNY for like 15 years. trying to "Lets Make Buffalo Great Again" it's as silent as dropping a pin on the floor. About 10 year ago, when Free Buffalo.org movement was going on was the last chance.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Facebook came along and people flocked away from message boards compared to 10 years ago. Still a lot of readers but the political party that controls that area is organized because a lot of those people depend on our tax revenue. Just think how many people in the Erie County Democratic Party are on some form of government payroll. There were personality issues with the original free buffalo group.

A rule of thumb that's always and everywhere true: When A and B get together to spend C's money fraud will result.

Unregistered
    I just saw a few minutes of a new tv show that explores American that has a female reporter, In this show they were exploring the Buffalo & the rust belt. Its starts out with the female reporter riding the metro rail downtown and the camera angles out the windows, (theirs no one walking and it's looks like a ghost town) She says where is everybody ? Then she says Buffalo lost 1/2 it's population, then she go to the silos, she says the silo's are still standing for over 50 years of Buffalo being in a economic depression, then she has some chicken wings and takes one bite and says their really not healthy for you and then bites a celery stick. Then they show canal side with people jogging, riding bikes and reading books, she's says this is what people in Buffalo do for recreation on the weekends

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Does the show you watch have a youtube channel? I'd like to see the video.

Frisco

Avg home Value $391,000

Avg Property Tax bill $1,763...

As I said before. "Unfortunately what we don't have is a well ran "Government". "

Other than that we have everything here for any company to succeed.

Comparing Buffalo to SF is silly. Thinking or even trying to land Amazon is also silly.

Amazon put out a RFP with strong preferences. Buffalo has some but falls very short on many. Including:

1. A stable and business-friendly environment
    2. International airport within 45 miles
    3. Mass transit at site + a development-prepped site that could hold 8.1 million s/f.
    4. Existing Fiber infrastructure

The site they are looking for is "a greenfield site of approximately 100 acres certified or pad ready, with utility infrastructure in place. The sites do not have to be contiguous but should be in proximity to each other to foster a sense of place and be pedestrian-friendly"

We all agree that WNY does not have a well run Government. That's not in doubt. But the Government is not the entirety of a "stable and business-friendly environment". Look at what happens every time a developer wants to build something in Buffalo. Look at who has been given power in that process and look at what they do in the process. Do you think Amazon is going to look at a city where someone like Tim Tielman or Daniel Sack is given power in the process? The answer is no. Do you know how much demolition and gentrification would be needed for Buffalo to create this kind of space? It's possible, logistically, but just look at the kickback from the Medical Campus with the Fruit Belt. No company is going to want to be burdened by that.

Beyond that, 8.1 million s/f. That's not retail s/f and that's not office park s/f. They want to build a similar version to what they have in Seattle. The reality is WNY does not even have a developer who could take on that project. It's not listed in the RFP but it's going to be a requirement. Only cities with both exiting developers and a construction infrastructure are going to be considered. There is a difference between sprucing up a warehouse and building a 40 story tower. Even more of a difference in building 5 of them.

Amazon will have a team dedicated to researching each area they don't reject from the start. They are going to have research done on every politician, power broker and public figure would will either be a friend, foe or an annoyance.

They are also going to look at what companies already are there. Remember what Lackawanna did to Bethlehem Steel? Using them as the 'cities' piggy bank. Amazon is not going to go to a city to become the only crutch.

If I could bet I would split money between Boston and Atlanta and lean on Atlanta. Although I would love for Charlotte or Raleigh to get a serious look.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Comparing Buffalo to SF is silly. Thinking or even trying to land Amazon is also silly.
    I agree. I'm just an optimist. Always want to see the underdog win. As long as the underdog is not a subsidized politically connected business. That's not fair to the actual businesses putting in 100% to grow.

If I owned Amazon I wouldn't put a head quarters here. Not if I was acting in the best interest of the company and the shareholders. There are just too many options that would be better but I would still take a shot at trying to land it.

If it was only in my own interest might be a different story. Let us say my companies were 1000's more successful than they now and I had a few hundred million in the bank as cash. I would probably buy the central terminal, remove everything not usable and completely restore the tower part turning the complex into a business incubator. A a cool penthouse on the top for me

Very low rents but every business involved would have to be successful after a set time period. Success grows more success if you network. The money used would just be gone because I don't believe the building could generate enough profit to fully cover a full restoration cost. You couldn't look at it that way if you had stock holders and other people's best interest to account for. People like Amazon don't care about the Central Terminal or Buffalo's future. They only care about what is in their best interest unless you literally buy them off like they did with solar city. Which I still think is thief of our tax money and that $750,000,000 should not have be used to build that property. I'm still waiting for some cheesy "please come to Buffalo" video to be released and sent to Amazon.

Back to Amazon.

The site they are looking for is "a greenfield site of approximately 100 acres certified or pad ready, with utility infrastructure in place. The sites do not have to be contiguous but should be in proximity to each other to foster a sense of place and be pedestrian-friendly"
    So I guess giving away the entire land area where the old steel plants away wouldn't work? I wonder what the cleanup cost would be on something like that.

We all agree that WNY does not have a well run Government. That's not in doubt. But the Government is not the entirety of a "stable and business-friendly environment". Look at what happens every time a developer wants to build something in Buffalo. Look at who has been given power in that process and look at what they do in the process. Do you think Amazon is going to look at a city where someone like Tim Tielman or Daniel Sack is given power in the process? The answer is no. Do you know how much demolition and gentrification would be needed for Buffalo to create this kind of space? It's possible, logistically, but just look at the kickback from the Medical Campus with the Fruit Belt. No company is going to want to be burdened by that.
    Valid point.

Beyond that, 8.1 million s/f. That's not retail s/f and that's not office park s/f. They want to build a similar version to what they have in Seattle. The reality is WNY does not even have a developer who could take on that project. It's not listed in the RFP but it's going to be a requirement. Only cities with both exiting developers and a construction infrastructure are going to be considered. There is a difference between sprucing up a warehouse and building a 40 story tower. Even more of a difference in building 5 of them.
    Later today I'll play with google maps and see if I can get an overview of the current head quarters to see what you mean.

Amazon will have a team dedicated to researching each area they don't reject from the start. They are going to have research done on every politician, power broker and public figure would will either be a friend, foe or an annoyance.
    They will find a lot of annoyance... ot oh..

They are also going to look at what companies already are there. Remember what Lackawanna did to Bethlehem Steel? Using them as the 'cities' piggy bank. Amazon is not going to go to a city to become the only crutch.
    That is one thing the Democrats of NYS seem to be good at. Right from the Village level and up.

If I could bet I would split money between Boston and Atlanta and lean on Atlanta. Although I would love for Charlotte or Raleigh to get a serious look.
    We should start up a fantasy "Where will Amazon go" contest

Oh an another thing. If I won like a billion on the power ball and after taxes had like 500,000,000 left I'd do the same thing. Pick some issue in Buffalo and just fix it. The terminal would be fun.

Unregistered
    Does the show you watch have a youtube channel? I'd like to see the video.
    It was on the TV at the gym, the same show aired another rust belt city Canton OH. maybe its the travel channel, I was searching youtube and put in rustbelt Buffalo NY 2017 and in the search 100's & 100's recent video's came up with the hoods, gangs, decay, destruction & ruins. I will keep looking to see if I can find the name of the show.

Unregistered
    Since most AZ Cities just lowered their property taxes again (that were already low) Many business's already are saying thank you and are responding with were now going to reward you and invest even heaver in AZ, IKEA just announced it's opening a 2nd Phoenix Area Super Store and IKEA also is building their 1st IKEA shopping center on 27 acres which will unveil a new line of IKEA sister brand stores http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...ium/687278001/

City of Buffalo looking for residents’ ideas to bring new global Amazon headquarters to city

http://wivb.com/2017/09/07/city-of-b...rters-to-city/
    Here's an idea. Change the city's name to Silicon Valley.

Unregistered
    QUOTE=grump;1749906]Here's an idea. Change the city's name to Silicon Valley.[/QUOTE]

They may do that, Commercial Developers & Home builders are buying up every inch of under developed land as fast as they can, Dairy Farmers & Farmers are becoming millionaires over night just by selling their land. Dirt roads are becoming 6 to 8 lane Boulevards. Planning & Design Board meetings have so much on their plates that the meetings are running well in the wee hours. Just about every current Freeway is being widing 2 to 4 additonal lanes after the 1st year, and their are 7 new Freeways either under construction or being designed that are fully funded. Their are several more new Freeways that were planned to be needed after 2030 are needed now and being moved up earlier for funding & construction. .

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    This is a start

Buffalo and Rochester to work together on Amazon HQ proposal

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — The Buffalo and Rochester metro regions are working together to try and bring Amazon’s proposed second headquarters to the region.

The announcement was made by Invest Buffalo Niagara on Thursday morning.

“In assessing the full scope of the Amazon HQ2 RFP opportunity, it was apparent that by linking our efforts, the combined Buffalo Rochester Metro Corridor can offer a proposal that is both compelling and extremely competitive,” InBN President and CEO Tom Kucharski and GRE Interim President and CEO Matt Hurlbutt said. “With over 2.2 million people, a very talented labor pool, and an extremely livable community, our organizations are excited to join forces in attempting to draw the interest of Amazon.”

http://wivb.com/2017/10/12/buffalo-a...n-hq-proposal/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information