Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Detroit's tiny homes - mail order

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    From what I understand the reason you dont see them a lot in cities is because they dont meet code requirements in most major metros
    If "little houses" were "the rage" many municipalities would be falling all over themselves to modify their codes to accomdate them just like a host of other fads , from urban chickens to wind power to solar power to "rain gardens" so that they can appear with it and satisfy the latest group of kooks to come down the line.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    From what I understand the reason you dont see them a lot in cities is because they dont meet code requirements in most major metros
    I wonder what codes could be changed to allow this.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    If "little houses" were "the rage" many municipalities would be falling all over themselves to modify their codes to accomdate them just like a host of other fads , from urban chickens to wind power to solar power to "rain gardens" so that they can appear with it and satisfy the latest group of kooks to come down the line.
    These are not in the same category as a rain garden or urban chickens. These are just small homes and nothing more. They can be built denser than full size homes which means more homes per city block. I under stand that the politically connected profit from subsidized housing complexes but as I said in the past I don't care what they want . I a town or city is going to spend tax money make sure we get the best bang for our buck. Buffalo is plagued by groups who profit off of low income people.

Cost per sewer/water hookup ends up lower per mile including electric/gas hookups. Services like trash pick up is also lower per stop because of density.

I have a better idea. Stop spending tax money to provide low income housing, then we won't need to worry about "tiny homes". Reducing taxes across the board would help everyone afford housing.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I have a better idea. Stop spending tax money to provide low income housing, then we won't need to worry about "tiny homes". Reducing taxes across the board would help everyone afford housing.
    I agree with this but in the end people still need a place to live.

When did it become your job and mine to pay for it for them?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    It's not our job and never should have been. Unfortunately we have people in office who feel that we should. So with that said shouldn't we make the best of it? Worse case spend the money as efficiently as possible? As wisely as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    These are not in the same category as a rain garden or urban chickens. These are just small homes and nothing more.
    No they are not just "small homes" they are not built to the construction codes of most states, and they dont fit the zonning requirements of anywhere in any metro in NY state.
    Most of the country’s local building codes have been adopted from the International Residential Code (IRC) for one- and two-family dwellings, which contains size specifications like rooms (except bathrooms and kitchens) must be at least 70 square feet, while ceiling height must be at least 7 feet.
    https://www.curbed.com/2016/9/22/130...ws-regulations
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What is wrong with you people

Then change the code or tweak the concept to fit the code.

Zoning laws and building codes, by and large, require a minimum square footage for new-construction homes, and progress to reduce that square footage is slow.
    The "process" itself isn't slow it's the "town board" or "City Council" that is slow. Actually the process is rather fast.

Monday night rolls around and we are all sitting at a board/council meeting.

"Let's call a vote to change this code"

All in favor...

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

Done..

Basically that's the process.

"there’s a lot of interest [in tiny living], but people are confused by the zoning codes and regulations, and feel intimidated to go to the city government."
    No one should be intimidated. They are your employees.

WNY, local governments in New York don't adopt the building code. It's a state issue in NY and it's exceedingly difficult to get local variances on a city- or town-wide basis, believe me. There are also safety issues in involved in code development oddly enough. And I doubt many communities are eager to adopt zoning codes that drop what are effectively doll houses into the middle of residential neighborhoods, even is so exalted a personage as Judy Woodruff insists they're all the rage. And why in God's name would one want to adopt policies that are being adopted by a city that became America's largest municipal bankruptcy?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    THe tiny homes are being adopted after the city had money issues.

I'd rather have 10 "tiny" homes appear on my road versus a Walmart behind my house or lets say a corner gas station.

Five Tiny Homes That Are Amazingly Affordable

https://www.thespruce.com/super-affo...nspire-3017220

The homes also don't have to be as tiny as possible but they could be built modestly small. You literally can have all push out safety windows so if a fire broke out you could easily get out. Only other safety issue could be weather related like a hurricane or tornado. Correct? Well for a fact my small shed has been in the same spot in my yard for the last 15 years.

Not everyone needs a McMansion to call home.

WNY, what makes you think Detroit is any different now than then? I don't have a McMansion and I don't want doll houses on my street because it cheapens the value of my property. The choice isn't between 10 "tiny homes" and a Walmart. The choice is between devaluing your home or not devaluing it.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So the choice is to increase your cost of living or to not increase your cost of living. Assessments work with comparable homes so a tiny home wouldn't compare to a medium size home to start with. In reality tiny homes could be placed in areas that are in need of lower cost homes. Mainly areas of Buffalo. People in Amherst won't have to worry about their McMansion's property values.

I'm not talking about assessed valuations. If all property values in my area are driven down because of a bunch of doll houses it's of little consequence to me that my property is still assessed at a higher valuation that the doll houses if my house is suddenly worth less. Municipalities can't discriminate against low income housing unless the discrimination is promoted by white suburban Democrats trying to keep the poor off their streets. Then the discrimination is praised as "sustainability" and "walkability".

I'm not talking about assessed valuations. If all property values in my area are driven down because of a bunch of doll houses it's of little consequence to me that my property is still assessed at a higher valuation that the doll houses if my house is suddenly worth less. Municipalities can't discriminate against low income housing unless the discrimination is promoted by white suburban Democrats trying to keep the poor off their streets. Then the discrimination is praised as "sustainability" and "walkability".
    Be thankful you don't have Chinese raising the bar paying top dollar to get their money out of the country.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information