Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Republicans deliberately crash the US economy?

Did Republicans deliberately crash the US economy?

In recent days, Democrats have started coming out and saying publicly what many have been mumbling privately for years – Republicans are so intent on defeating President Obama for re-election that they are purposely sabotaging the country's economic recovery. These charges are now being levied by Democrats such as Senate majority leader Harry Reid and Obama's key political adviser, David Axelrod.

For Democrats, perhaps the most obvious piece of evidence of GOP premeditated malice is the 2010 quote from Senate minority leader, Mitch McConnell:

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."

Such words lead some to the conclusion that Republicans will do anything, including short-circuiting the economy, in order to hurt Obama politically. Considering that presidents – and rarely opposition parties – are held electorally responsible for economic calamity, it's not a bad political strategy.

Then again, it's a hard accusation to prove: after all, one person's economic sabotage is another person's principled anti-government conservatism.

Beyond McConnell's words, though, there is circumstantial evidence to make the case. Republicans have opposed a lion's share of stimulus measures that once they supported, such as a payroll tax break, which they grudgingly embraced earlier this year. Even unemployment insurance, a relatively uncontroversial tool for helping those in an economic downturn, has been consistently held up by Republicans or used as a bargaining chip for more tax cuts. Ten years ago, prominent conservatives were loudly making the case for fiscal stimulus to get the economy going; today, they treat such ideas like they're the plague. Read More
    I don't understand why this is even a question. It's not like the GOP has made any attempt to hide their motives. Hell, during the debt ceiling standoff many GOP members out right said they were hoping to default so the president was blamed. And they're gearing up to do the exact same thing again.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts.

Of course they do. The party out of power always does.

I think it was gephart who once stated every 100 point drop in the DOW is good for the polls.

Its easier to run a campaign Dem or Rep on doom and gloom rather than true ideas and building consensus in government

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Did Republicans deliberately crash the US economy?
    The democrat party did the same... You can't spend money you don't have.

Mindcrime I think you should do a little review of the items you post.

Just when I start rethinking my political affiliations, the Republicans remind me they are just as bad. There really isn't a party that represents the mainstream, blue-collar average joe. There isn't a political party that cares about middle class, hardworking whites.
    One planet, one life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Eagle View Post
    There isn't a political party that cares about middle class, hardworking whites.
    Or just hard working Americans either.

b.b.

Mindcrime posted, "These charges are now being levied by Democrats such as Senate majority leader Harry Reid and Obama's key political adviser, David Axelrod"

Please - how could anyone with a brain believe the crad you posted was not Political rhetoric - if you actually believe either party has a lock on negative pre election scare crap - then your name "Mindcrime" is perfect.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Mindcrime posted, "These charges are now being levied by Democrats such as Senate majority leader Harry Reid and Obama's key political adviser, David Axelrod"

Please - how could anyone with a brain believe the crad you posted was not Political rhetoric - if you actually believe either party has a lock on negative pre election scare crap - then your name "Mindcrime" is perfect.
    You got that right bro! Perfectly right!
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    The democrat party did the same... You can't spend money you don't have.

Mindcrime I think you should do a little review of the items you post.
    Perhaps you missed the data that shows that Obama has increased spending at the lowest rate since Eisenhower? The next two lowest belong to Clinton. I think that the myth that Democrats are big spenders and Republicans are fiscal conservatives has pretty much been shattered to pieces.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    ...Please - how could anyone with a brain believe the crad you posted was not Political rhetoric - if you actually believe either party has a lock on negative pre election scare crap - then your name "Mindcrime" is perfect.
    Where did I say it was a non-partisan story?

The fact is that Republicans have actively put their personal and party politics ahead of the good of the nation, and the people. Not in a manner that's open to interpretation, but actually saying their number one goal is NOT to fix the economy, or health care, or national security, or create jobs, but to defeat the nation's leader. They're literally refusing to govern, putting the country's well being at risk, to settle a political vendetta. They're children.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindcrime View Post
    Perhaps you missed the data that shows that Obama has increased spending at the lowest rate since Eisenhower? The next two lowest belong to Clinton. I think that the myth that Democrats are big spenders and Republicans are fiscal conservatives has pretty much been shattered to pieces.

I'M GOING TO GO SLOOOWLY

It is all BS. No matter what the "percentage" rate of increased spending is it is still an increase. It was too much to begin with.

I might be reading what you are stating incorrectly. Are you trying to point out that Obama isn't sticking it up our butts as much as others have in the past? You might be correct but your missing the point that they are still screwing us.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Where did I say it was a non-partisan story?

The fact is that Republicans have actively put their personal and party politics ahead of the good of the nation, and the people. Not in a manner that's open to interpretation, but actually saying their number one goal is NOT to fix the economy, or health care, or national security, or create jobs, but to defeat the nation's leader. They're literally refusing to govern, putting the country's well being at risk, to settle a political vendetta. They're children.
    If that is what they are doing they took the lead from the democrats.

You're all ****ing idiots if you think that one party does bad ****, and the other doesn't.

Seriously - you're ****ing idiots.

If 2009 gets assigned to Obama, this graph is off.
    http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfa....cfm?Docid=200
    Hillary will NEVER be President
    Obama is a FORMER President
    Joe Biden is in Scranton eating paste.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    You're all ****ing idiots if you think that one party does bad ****, and the other doesn't.

Seriously - you're ****ing idiots.
    What they said.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    ...Are you trying to point out that Obama isn't sticking it up our butts as much as others have in the past? You might be correct but your missing the point that they are still screwing us.
    Yes, we are still spending more than we are bringing in, and I've addressed that many times in the past as being wrong.

But to imply that Obama is the worst, when in actuality he's not, is completely disingenuous. Plus the Congress has yet to even send Obama a budget resolution, much less a deficit-free one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information