Thread: Buffalo Special Police resolution passed by City

Post Buffalo Special Police resolution passed by City

Friends (including Deerhunter);

Yesterday, the Common Council of the City of Buffalo passed a resolution recognizing the Buffalo Special Police as an entity of the city (Public Officers Law 18). This resolution has been signed and now the BSP is waiting on the mayor to activate our Peace Officer Status (sign the registry).

Concerned citizens, for your convenience, below I have outlined some definitions regarding a Peace Officer and facts regarding the Academy.

What is a Peace Officer?

A Peace Officer has the same powers as a Police Officer, except a Peace Officer may not serve a warrant. A Peace Officer defined in 2.20 of the Criminal Procedure Law, is authorized to make warrentless arrest, use of physical force or deadly force. F.Y.I, the first Law Enforcement Officer in this country was a Peace Officer.

Academy:

Again, ALL Buffalo Special Police are certified and registered NYS Peace Officers. Unless already trained and certified, each officer must attend the Peace Officers Training Academy in Holland, NY. The curriculum is mandated and approved by the NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services, Municipal Police Training Council.

The Buffalo Special Police is a professional organization and officers have worked long hours lobbying for the City’s support. No that we have support of the citizens, the city, now we need more support from the Buffalo Police Department.

We ask the good men and woman of the Buffalo Police to please give us a chance. When you see a Buffalo Special walking his tour, please stop and talk. Shake hands and introduce yourself.

Again, our primary goal here is to make the city a safer place to live and visit. If we all work together, other communities will see Buffalo as a gateway to better community participation. Let’s show the world that we are a city of great neighbors.

BSP

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Post only in one thread, we not need to repeat ourselves.

Smile

Thank you!

BSP

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    My grandfather used to repeat himself... over and over and over and over......

Smile

Point taken!

I guess I'm just trying to educate the good citizens of this fine city with valuable information regarding BSPs. Most everyone had concerns, and it needed to be addressed. Please pass the word and thank you for your input and understanding.

BSP

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So I was looking for a website reguarding the BSP. I would like to learn more about them. Where could I look?

Thumbs up

Buffalo Special Police began in 1926. As of today, the web site is not complete. The address is http:www.buffalospecialpolice.org. In defense to the delay, most BSPs have full time jobs. I will keep you updated when the site is complete. However, you can learn more about special police in other municipalities. Towns close to Rochester have Special Police Departments. There qualifications are less than what BSP requirements are. The academy that we attend, is above NYS recommendations for a Peace Officer.

Also, there is a very good editorial in today's paper regarding the organization.

Thank you for your interest.

BSP

Thank you BSP

A big thanks to the BSP for their patroling the Seneca Street business/residential neighborhood. It's been a long time since residents felt safer in their own community. We are glad that Jimmy Griffin is here too. Someone has to look out for us. It's been a real long time!

This could be start of the turnaround of the Seneca Street strip. If it gets better. "They will come" If the area offers a variety of business is a safe community. "We will stay"

BF

Quote Originally Posted by hahamagic View Post
    Friends (including Deerhunter);

A Peace Officer has the same powers as a Police Officer, except a Peace Officer may not serve a warrant.

BSP
    No need for warrants, but can use deadly force. Hmmm... oh I get it, George Zimmerman "peaceful."

www.thebuffalobullet.com

Thread Information