Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Fry in Lancaster

Fish Fry in Lancaster

OK one would think I have a thing for food and that I would be 200 pounds, I really am not. I just love to eat.

But anyways, fish fry in Lancaster~~Friday night we went to Simme's on Aurora for the first time. We got their potato crusted haddock. It was very very good. Light, crispy a bit and tasty. Did not leave me feeling greased out like a fish fry would do. Had their spagetti was not bad. The slaw and potatoe salad not good though.

So I give this place a B+. Anyone have a Lancaster fish fry they like best? Only in Lancaster because I like patroning the local businesses.

My Little Margies - traditional FF, be warned it is BIG, very tasty! I know I might get flamed for this one but I also like Franks. Kind of a hassle to get in there, timing is everything, but I have found the food and the FF in particular to be pretty good.

I will admit, Frank's fish is good, reason is they have Cod. I still liked Simme's potato flaked fish. Interesting and not greasy.

Never been to Margies, will have to try it.

I'll vote for Frank's. Drive from south Cheektowaga to get there, it's very good. Get there early for a table, arriving after 5:30 means you wait for a table.
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

Quote Originally Posted by Bud B Boomer View Post
    My Little Margies - traditional FF, be warned it is BIG, very tasty! I know I might get flamed for this one but I also like Franks. Kind of a hassle to get in there, timing is everything, but I have found the food and the FF in particular to be pretty good.
    I agree with you. Little Margie's is good but too greasy for me. Frank's has really good fish and I like the fact he has choices: ex: haddock versus grouper etc. All salad's are always homemade and very tasty. I hate nothing more than going out and eating store bought salad's with my fish fry. We haven't been to Frank's in a long time but I have to give credit where credit is due.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    I will admit, Frank's fish is good, reason is they have Cod. I still liked Simme's potato flaked fish. Interesting and not greasy.

Never been to Margies, will have to try it.
    Short, isn't interesting how political differences can be put aside when it comes to food, lol.

Another place that is good {although not in Lancaster} is the Marilla Grill {corner of Two Rod and Bullis}, again a small place with traditional FF {good burgers too} and big. By traditional I mean good size piece of fish, french fries {although if they have home made German potato salad I may stray} and the three salads, potato, mac {I don't like it when they put tuna in the mac salad} and cole slaw. Seeing a trend here...guess I like small places, with lots of food!

I'll have to give Simme's a shot, went there alot when under the former ownership.

I've heard from a few others about Margies but I've never tried it myself.
    If you don't like gay marriage blame straight people. They're the ones who keep having gay babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud B Boomer View Post
    Short, isn't interesting how political differences can be put aside when it comes to food, lol.

Another place that is good {although not in Lancaster} is the Marilla Grill {corner of Two Rod and Bullis}, again a small place with traditional FF {good burgers too} and big. By traditional I mean good size piece of fish, french fries {although if they have home made German potato salad I may stray} and the three salads, potato, mac {I don't like it when they put tuna in the mac salad} and cole slaw. Seeing a trend here...guess I like small places, with lots of food!

I'll have to give Simme's a shot, went there alot when under the former ownership.
    Get the coupon and get your second fish 1/2 off at Simme's.. You are right about the politics, Franks does it right. Haven't been there in a long time too.

Now I am wondering where 4248 goes for his fish fry....somehow I kinda doubt that it is Franks.

Incidently, Margies {sounds like I am pimping for them} also has a very good beef on weck, possibly better that the aforementioned Franks, but that is a discussion for another day.

Talking Please, don't go to My Little Margie's on Broadway

Look first off, you have to wait in line. That forces you to stand around and have a ice cold beer or two with complete, usually cheerful bar patrons. More times then often these people are average working class folks, so not much Political conversations. They actually talk about work, family, sports and the fish they are about to receive.

Then when you finally get seated, either a happy go lucky waitress (older lady) comes to your table or some cheery young person. I mean before you can even pretend to look at the menu. Now you know you want the fish - but its sort of fun to pretend, just for a moment - maybe you don't.

Then before you can even get another cold beer - did I mention the ice cold beer - well theres this huge plate covered - over flowing with this large portion of fish. Everything you need - even extra lemon has been thought of or offered - politely - and with a sincere smile.

So, please don't go there - If you do the line will grow and I'll be at my three beer limit before I get to eat.

None better in this area

As far as Franks on Broadway - well if you like it there thats fine - good beef - just beware of your conversations.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Well guys, you peaked my interest, and Margie's it will be. I will give it a try.

Good job pimpin' the restaurant it worked. Thanx 42~~cold beer huh? I'm likin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Look first off, you have to wait in line. That forces you to stand around and have a ice cold beer or two with complete, usually cheerful bar patrons. More times then often these people are average working class folks, so not much Political conversations. They actually talk about work, family, sports and the fish they are about to receive.

Then when you finally get seated, either a happy go lucky waitress (older lady) comes to your table or some cheery young person. I mean before you can even pretend to look at the menu. Now you know you want the fish - but its sort of fun to pretend, just for a moment - maybe you don't.

Then before you can even get another cold beer - did I mention the ice cold beer - well theres this huge plate covered - over flowing with this large portion of fish. Everything you need - even extra lemon has been thought of or offered - politely - and with a sincere smile.

So, please don't go there - If you do the line will grow and I'll be at my three beer limit before I get to eat.

None better in this area

As far as Franks on Broadway - well if you like it there thats fine - good beef - just beware of your conversations.
    42 luv your comments, and you are right we should have kept quiet about margies, kind of kept it to our selves. But then again it is always good to share knowledge. I suppose you get your beef on weck there too...which is a great choice.

Ronny's, french pub, magruders (broiled)

Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
    Ronny's, french pub, magruders (broiled)
    Is Magruders really good? Inside it is kind of yuckie. French Pub, I have heard about that, it's off Broadway right?

So Friday tomorrow, where is everyone going for their fish fry?

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Is Magruders really good? Inside it is kind of yuckie. French Pub, I have heard about that, it's off Broadway right?

So Friday tomorrow, where is everyone going for their fish fry?
    French Pub is on French Rd., about 1/4 from Transit, South Cheektowaga...
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information