Thread: "We don't have enough money to do everything"

"We don't have enough money to do everything"

County budget plan would freeze taxes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LEGISLATOR MARIA R. WHYTE: "We don't have enough money to do everything."
    By PHIL FAIRBANKS
    News Staff Reporter
    11/22/2006

Erie County lawmakers are putting the finishing touches on a budget that will freeze property tax rates, reject new user fees and keep the county's higher sales tax. Legislators, crafting their plan while meeting in small groups behind closed doors, also plan to adopt cuts, most notably the elimination of vacant county jobs and a possible 5 percent across-the-board reduction in nonpersonnel costs in all departments.
    As they wrap up their deliberations - a final budget vote could come as early as Dec. 1 - lawmakers are considering a possible increase in library funding and more staff for the Probation Department and Sheriff's Office.

Those are just some of the major changes legislators expect to make to the 2007 budget proposed by County Executive Joel A. Giambra.

"It's a debate about priorities," said Majority Leader Maria R. Whyte, D-Buffalo. "We don't have enough money to do everything."

After four weeks of budget talks - public and private - legislators have reached a consensus on several major issues. They have agreed to:

Reject three new user fees proposed by Giambra. They include an increase in restaurant inspection fees and a new $3 fee for parking at county parks and beaches.

• Freeze the county's property tax rate at its current level. Lawmakers will allow the tax levy - the amount of property tax revenue collected by the county - to increase because of higher assessments.

• Keep the higher sales tax approved by lawmakers last year. The Legislature made its intention clear when lawmakers voted two weeks ago to begin the process of extending the extra three-quarters-of-a-penny increase in the tax.

On the expense side, lawmakers have identified more than 160 funded but unfilled county jobs and are poised to cut some of them.

Depending on whom you talk with, the estimates range from between 15 and 100 positions that could be cut.

"Yes," Legislature Chairwoman Lynn M. Marinelli, D-Town of Tonawanda said when asked if vacant jobs will be cut from the budget. "The only question is how many."

Several legislators, many of them in their first terms, have pushed for the elimination of vacant jobs, especially those that have gone unfilled for more than six months. They see many of those jobs as budget padding, a way for the Giambra administration to ensure that the budget is balanced at the end of the year.

"If it's been open six months, is it really a vacant job or is it simply a way of propping up the budget?" said Legislator Kathy Konst, D-Lancaster.

Legislators also are talking about an increase in library funding and a possible cut in what Giambra proposed for cultural groups next year. Both issues remain unresolved at this time.

"I'm trying to fend that off," Marinelli said of the attempts to cut the amount of funding for cultural groups.

Lawmakers also seem eager to increase funding to the Buffalo Niagara Convention & Visitors Bureau, the region's premier tourism marketing agency. But the amount of funding is likely to fall short of what the bureau wants - 100 percent of the county's hotel and bed tax revenue.

After two weeks of public budget hearings, the Legislature's Democratic majority began meeting in private last week to start the give and take in which lawmakers engage at budget time.

By all accounts, the process this year has been missing much of the drama and emotion that marked the last two years when budget talks reached a stalemate.

Whyte said she and Marinelli asked the Democrats to put aside their individual agendas and instead work together. She said the goal is what Marinelli describes as a "sane, stable and smooth" budget process.

"I told them, "No one gets to dig in,' " Whyte said.

The Legislature's majority - 12 of the 15 lawmakers are Democrats - started its internal process by filling out individual work sheets listing members' priorities on what to cut or add to the budget.

They then divided into two work groups, one headed by Whyte and the other headed by Legislator Demone A. Smith, D-Buffalo, and began meeting privately to identify common ground and hash out their differences.

Whyte said Democrats also reached out to the Erie County Fiscal Stability Authority for budget advice.

"This is a completely different budget process," said the freshman lawmaker. "Every legislator has had a voice, and I think that's exciting. Even veteran legislators have said, "This process is unprecedented.' "

The public will get a chance to comment on the budget at 5 p.m. Monday in Legislature Chambers, on the fourth floor of County Hall, 92 Franklin St.

e-mail:
    pfairbanks@buffnews.com
    Wow, here's a news flash! Only thing we can cut is VACANT JOBS but we are looking to increase spending in other area's again? I am glad to see the 5% across the board cuts in nonpersonnel costs in all departments. It's a baby step in the right direction!

Unregistered

I cant wait until Erie County gets a hard control board

I cant wait until Erie County gets a hard control board. Its going to castrate a significant portion of incestuous patronage and union demands upon the taxpayer just as the control board did for the city of Buffalo.

I am glad to hear someone finally say, "We don't have enough money to do everything". I guess admitting you have a problem is the first step.

It's just so frustrating to hear the continuous rhetoric. I'd have much more respect for ANY ONE of these people if they'd come forward and say, "This is gonna suck and it's gonna hurt, but we gotta cut"!

Squeeky Frome Speaks

By PHIL FAIRBANKS

This is what I am talking about the Helter Skelter queen is a MENSA Member.
    And the other angel Ianella she is real piece of work, she was crying the financial blues last Night. Don’t forget the Madam of the house Lyn the Legs Marenelli will be on Hardwick Sunday. That interview should be like listening to the Paint Dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    I cant wait until Erie County gets a hard control board. Its going to castrate a significant portion of incestuous patronage and union demands upon the taxpayer just as the control board did for the city of Buffalo.
    News FLASH it went Hard three weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466
    By PHIL FAIRBANKS

This is what I am talking about the Helter Skelter queen is a MENSA Member.
    And the other angel Ianella she is real piece of work, she was crying the financial blues last Night. Don’t forget the Madam of the house Lyn the Legs Marenelli will be on Hardwick Sunday. That interview should be like listening to the Paint Dry.
    "Softline"!!!! What a disappointment that show is... The next difficult question he asks will be his 1st! At least we'll get to hear what St. Edmunds church will be selling Sunday!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Enough
    "Softline"!!!! What a disappointment that show is... The next difficult question he asks will be his 1st! At least we'll get to hear what St. Edmunds church will be selling Sunday!!!!!
    Isn't that the truth,I hear his call in segment this week will be 30 seconds long.I sure hope the Buffalo Dundit calls in.

And still, the difference between "a penney" and "a percent" is lost on the politicians and the media dimwits. sigh.

Thread Information