Thread: Wegmans to launch grocery delivery service in Buffalo

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Wegmans to launch grocery delivery service in Buffalo

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC-TV) — Instacart, the technology-driven, nationwide on-demand grocery delivery service, and Wegmans Food Markets will expand same-day grocery delivery service to Rochester, Buffalo, and Syracuse in August.The service allows Wegmans customers to complete their grocery shopping online, and have their orders delivered to their doors in as little as an hour.
    Wegmans customers will be able to fill their virtual carts with all their favorite products, from produce, meat, seafood, and frozen foods, to a wide selection of specialty cheeses, bakery desserts, packaged prepared foods and Wegmans’ line of chef-developed EZ Meals, by visiting instacart.wegmans.com or downloading the Instacart App. At check out, customers can add their Wegmans Shoppers Club number to receive available discounts, and choose a delivery window within one hour, two hours, or up to seven days in advance. Instacart’s shoppers will do the rest.
    http://wivb.com/2017/07/25/wegmans-t...ce-in-buffalo/

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Instacart Express

I see they have a yearly and monthly membership club

Unlimited Free Deliveries $149 a year or $14.99 a month.

Minimum order needed for a delivery is $10

Looks like you can't order beer.

I'm pretty sure we hit a grocery store at least 2 twice a week. I'll have to figure out what the "visit" cost in time and gas.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    They condensed a Wegman's store to a department page.

https://instacart.wegmans.com/store/browse

This looks interesting.. Shop by coupons

https://instacart.wegmans.com/store/...tments/3000231

I see how the internet has changed how business is done but in some cases I don't think it helps the average person when jobs are eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Instacart Express

I'm pretty sure we hit a grocery store at least twice a week. I'll have to figure out what the "visit" cost in time and gas.
    I am interested in how this process changes grocery stores. My take is that at some point in the future grocery stores will do a split. Stuff that's on the 'outside' like Bakery, Meat, Dairy will remain in a brick and mortar setting while stuff on the inside isles will move to delivery. Or better put fresh v. packaged.

As a consumer, I have no issue using delivery services for packaged items. In fact, I prefer it unless I need something right away. Ordering online makes it so much easier to search for discounts, save lists, find difficult items, etc., etc. The benefits are enormous.

That said, I don't think I ever will want to give up personally selecting what cut of meat or fish I want. Or seeing how soft the bread is or how ripe the fruit is. Not only do I lack trust for someone else but I like shopping for these items.

Here is my take on the future. Near future.

Grocery stores, both the size of Dash's and Wegman's, will be come almost exclusively 'Outside' shopping. Isles will be removed and replaced with little 'shops' for various products. They will essentially come full circle and return to resembling a market from 150 years ago but instead of having 60 to 100 different providers it will be just 1.

Stores the size of Dash's Market will remain the same as they don't have that many isles, to begin with. I could even see some of the isles being removed to bring in more 'outside' items like Cheese or Sweets. Stores like Wegman's will see an even bigger change. They have many more isles to remove but also have more room to add spaces and products.

As for what's on the Isles, some will stay of course....stores are always going to stock the basics. What's going to change is having 100 different kinds of cereal to choose from and having four rows of the same cereal on the self at the same time. People are simply going to buy all of this stuff online and have it delivered. Stores are just going to distribute from warehouse...just like Amazon.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Valid points...

It will make grocery stores more competitive. If they all sell the same line of "canned corn" or "12 oz box of Cheerios" it will come down to who's cheaper plus delivery.

I think a lot of people would rather pick their own meats but then again we have large companies that sell meat packs like http://www.omahasteaks.com/

If they deliver good selected meats maybe there won't be a need to pick your own.

I don't think I'd want to be in the grocery retail market today.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Wegman's http://www.instacart.com

Higher than in-store prices

A markup is added to item prices at this retailer. Prices are based on data collected in store and are subject to delays and errors.

Wegmans has Consistent Low Prices on items your family buys the most. We add a small price increase to cover the cost of shopping your order. In addition, a delivery fee covers the cost of having your favorite Wegmans products delivered to your door. Enter your Wegmans Shoppers Club number to receive any discounts for the lowest prices available.
    I wonder how much they are adding to each item for the service.

I'll have to pick up something at the store and see how the price compares.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Send $10, Get $10

Send your friends $10 and get $10 when they order

I wonder how many $10 credits one can get

If you are going to try the service sign up here:

https://inst.cr/t/QgnsjNN4x

Thread Information