Thread: Personal use of town vehicles

Personal use of town vehicles

From: http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/955289.html

Councilman questions chief’s use of town’s car
    By Mary B. Pasciak
    NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Updated: February 13, 2010, 7:11 am /
    Published: February 13, 2010, 12:30 am

A West Seneca councilman is questioning the police chief’s use of a town-owned police car to travel to his night job.

Councilman Dale F. Clarke said he recently got complaints from two residents about Chief Edward F. Gehen Jr. using his unmarked Crown Victoria to get to Erie Community College, where he works as a part-time safety officer.

Clarke says Gehen should pay for the gas he has used to drive to ECC.

“This shouldn’t be happening. He makes $115,000 a year—he can pay for his own gas,” Clarke said. “There’s no reason taxpayers should pay for his gas. At the very least, he should have to reimburse the people for it.”

Gehen has had full-time use of the car since he became chief in 2001, and had occasional use of it before that, when he served as assistant chief under then-Chief John J. Miskovski when Miskovski was on vacation. Gehen said he asked Miskovski about use of the car.

“I asked the specific question, ‘What is it supposed to be used for?’ I was told back then, you can have it 24/7, use it for whatever you want. There’s no restrictions. You’re the chief of police — you’re supposed to be available to the town,” Gehen said.

Clarke’s questions about Gehen’s use of a town car come on the heels of a disagreement the two men had at Monday’s Town Board meeting over who should be permitted in the police dispatch office. During the clash, Gehen’s wife joined a group of people heckling Clarke. Gehen has worked part-time at ECC for 31 years, he said. Since he’s been chief in West Seneca, there have been a number of times that he’s been called out from his job at ECC to respond to incidents in the town, he added, and he used his town car to return to West Seneca to respond.

Gehen said he sees no reason to pay for gas he’s used.

“The prior administration told me to use [the car],” he said. “To come back now and say reimburse for the gas is inappropriate.”
    Last edited by dtwarren; February 13th, 2010 at 11:21 AM.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

What is your opinion Dan?

as for me,, shouldn't these people be setting an example in this economic climate where people are losing their jobs and the higher ups are making multiples of the median FAMILY income?

They don't give a #### about the average struggling taxpayer. It is a public servant me first attitude.....Nice!

Irrelevant!

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    What is your opinion Dan?

as for me,, shouldn't these people be setting an example in this economic climate where people are losing their jobs and the higher ups are making multiples of the median FAMILY income?

They don't give a #### about the average struggling taxpayer. It is a public servant me first attitude.....Nice!
    It's simply irrelevant that the Police Chief, or any other member of the Town, should have a second job. Unless and until you have rules and regulations relating to this in your town charter you cannot criticize him. What you're doing is expressing your own frustration that you're not getting more.

The bigger issue to me is Mr. Clake's disingenuous remarks; Mr. Clarke must have been at a different meeting where he was heckled! It sure wasn't last Mondays Town Board meeting- and Mrs. Gehen did not heckle him afterwards, either! Someone doesn't know how to tell the truth.

I like Chief Gehen, I would like to know how the town vehicle was used in relation to the second job. If he used it only to get there and back and not during the performance of the duties of his second job or did he use the vehicle in any degree to perform the duties of his second job. The former I believe may be permissible the latter is definitely not.

As a taxpayer I believe the town should have a detailed policy in the use of town resources, including vehicles. For example the keeping of mileage logs, etc.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Dale's memory loss

Dan, you left out the best part of the article, which points to Dale forgetting his past.

"A number of people in the audience started heckling Clarke, including Gehen’s wife. He said she continued shouting at him after the meeting.

“No elected official should have to put up with that,” Clarke said."

It wasn't all that long ago that he was the heckler in the audience. Not just that, but I recall standing outside after TB meetings where Dale would continue his rants as the members left the building.

Dale is simply getting even with the Chief because he's not wanted in the dispatch office. Rightfully so, as he has no business in there. If he wants to buy them coffee, invite them to Tim Horton's after their shift. Dale prefers the Harlem and Clinton location, usually around 9 AM.

(To NBR. All statements made in this post are from the Buffalo News, or my own personal experiences, and not second hand information. Therefore, none of the statements are rumor, hearsay, or unsubstantiated)
    I'd rather be hated for who I am... than loved for who I'm not!

I believe there is more behind the story there that is not in the paper, but regardless of the motive the issue of vehicle use needs to be resolved.

Well, it ain't going to be resolved here!

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    I believe there is more behind the story there that is not in the paper, but regardless of the motive the issue of vehicle use needs to be resolved.
    It's going to be resolved by like minded folks approaching the board and requesting a review of the regulations relating to this matter and any other employee rules and making the changes the townsfolk find appropriate. And sure, Dan, there's plenty more behind this, but it's another issue altogether.

While it ultimately will not be resolved here, this is the place for like minded citizens to discuss issues such as this and form a consensus as to what to approach our elected officials on what we want.

West Seneca has a lot of updating to do regarding a number of codes, rules and policies and some have been accomplished, some have begun and others remain to be addressed.

BTW does the WSPD have a policy on outside employment?

Isn't that something that one would...

While it ultimately will not be resolved here, this is the place for like minded citizens to discuss issues such as this and form a consensus as to what to approach our elected officials on what we want.

West Seneca has a lot of updating to do regarding a number of codes, rules and policies and some have been accomplished, some have begun and others remain to be addressed.

.... want to know and find out before be begin the debate? I guess I get frustrated on SUWNY when people don't have the facts and they already have their minds made up, 'cuz ya can't confuse them with the facts! Ay any rate, I agree that the town needs to look at its codes, rules, and policies and address them publicly with input from the public, itself.

You may recall my questioning this at a TB meeting some time ago. Apparently, no one wants to upset the apple cart.

I questioned the Town Engineer, Rec Dept., Youth, and other's need to take home a car, even the Emergency Coordinator; as there aren't that many disasters in West Seneca. I did give the Chief a pass at the time, given his job. However, I was unaware of a second job at the time. Hey, give me $115,000 a year, and there's no second front needed. Hell, my wife wouldn't even have to work anymore and we could afford to finally take a vacation.

I was told, by Wally, that it was one of issues they were looking into at the start of his term. Guess the matter was dropped and swept under the rug. People have attempted to rationalize the purpose for these vehicles, but I don't buy the rational lies.

It's funny that Clarke is raising the issue now however. Has it taken him this long to to catch up? Or, did someone pee in someones corn flakes?

Ya' gotta love small town government!

I think the policy is, "How much does it pay, and are they looking for anyone else?"

I may have the wording wrong, but I think I'm close.

why would cheif of a police dept making $115.000 a year plus all the bennies,and the car free gas and car insurance paid for want to work as a part-time safety officer at ecc is he that hard up for a buck sounds like the town of cheektowaga pd but all capts. (4) and the cheif have take home cars now that is a waste of TPM.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

I like Chief Gehen, I would like to know how the town vehicle was used in relation to the second job. If he used it only to get there and back and not during the performance of the duties of his second job or did he use the vehicle in any degree to perform the duties of his second job. The former I believe may be permissible the latter is definitely not.

As a taxpayer I believe the town should have a detailed policy in the use of town resources, including vehicles. For example the keeping of mileage logs, etc.

I think that there should be a full SEQR done on whether the use of a town vehicle adds to any adverse environmental impacts, additionally, there should be a permissive referendum on the use of the town vehicles.

To me this is very simple.

You drive to work and then use a government vehicle for the day. At the end of the day, you turn it in.

The federal reimbursement(used by ALL gov't agencies) for mileage is more than sufficient to pay anyone's expense. Other government workers do this all the time.

It should a requirement of taking that job. It they don't agree, then don't apply.

People who use cars 24hrs use it for shopping, eating etc..

The board should at least demand that they park it in the driveway..period.

This is an abuse of government services..
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

Time for State Troopers or Erie County? The savings will be there and the same coverage but people are afraid of change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information