Thread: The Wal Mart effect

The Wal Mart effect

I am not a fan of Wal-Mart. Not because of it's practices but rather, I find target to be cleaner and better run. I am a fan however of the effect that Wal-Mart has on the economy.

People cry all the time about the low pay and lack of benefits that Wal Mart offers. I say that they are paying market rate and jobs found at these stores do not warrant high pay and benefits. Just because a person wants his or her job to provide a self sufficient living wage with benefits, does not mean it should. My rule of thumb, if a teenager in HS can do the job then that job should not be one considered a supporting position. Wal-Mart is simply going bucking the trend of making every job a "living wage" job.

Another trend that Wal-Mart is bucking is the cost of prescription medicine. In Sept. Wal Mart started to offer some prescriptions at $4. Other larger retailers like Wegmans and Target followed. The two largest drug store chains, Walgreen's & CVS, will not follow. The question that I have is this. What is the real value of these meds? If you say that they are only worth $4 if they can be sold for $4, then you must agree that a job that pays $7 dollars only deserves $7.

Just some food for thought.

I'll take a slightly different edge to the "Wal Mart effect," and admit we are using Wal Mart as a example only as we could easily be talking about Target, KMart, etc.

People have been talking lately about how much they do not want "big box" stores in historic areas of Buffalo. Fair enough. But I and some other posters have been saying that allowing some "big box" types into other areas of the city in general might not be so bad.

I agree also that these establishements provide mostly entry level jobs with little or no benefits, but ENTRY LEVEL is called as such for a reason. Those types of jobs give people work experience that they can then hopefully one day transfer to a higher level job.

Right now many parts of Buffalo don't even offer people the chance for entry level jobs... And if these are jobs for teenagers, then GET THE TEENAGERS WORKING!

I worked at a "big box" discount store as a teen and it gave me work experience and allowed me to save money to buy my first car. And when people move up to middle or upper management at these places the pay can be pretty decent and so can the benefits.

Also, big boxes provide access to good and services. That's just how it works in today's economy, we have to just accept it... You can't buy a toaster oven or a laundry basket at a trendy boutique.

Then again, we have so many people who are against new build anything...

Today I was downtown for an appointment and I made my way up Main Street heading towards downtown. I passed the I believe Delta Sonic gas station and car wash. It looks like they have expanded and rebuilt it lately and now it includes a Dunkin' Doughnuts, a small grocery store, etc. Is is newly built, shiny and NEW and I thought, "Good for them!" It obviously is serving a purpose in the neighborhood for both close by residents and those who regularly commute to downtown...

As I made my way back I noticed that there are many residential neighborhoods off off Main Street near downtown... There are people who LIVE THERE who could benefit from a commercial shopping district. Most of the people who live their now must commute to the suburbs to shop

I would like to see more new commerical establishements along that part of Main Street. Maybe not a Wal Mart, maybe a Target or KMart.

Right now, for all of the people who live off of Main Street near downtown... Where the heck to those people go for basic goods and services?

And a few years back, after much fighting for it, they finally got a new Tops on Jefferson Avenue and now I have heard that Jefferson Avenue is starting to revive itself... Good for them.

New build retail establishments, even if they are the much maligned "big box," do serve a purpose and have their place in the economy.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1
    People have been talking lately about how much they do not want "big box" stores in historic areas of Buffalo. Fair enough. But I and some other posters have been saying that allowing some "big box" types into other areas of the city in general might not be so bad.

It is all about the zoning. In San Diego, some grocery stores look like office buildings because that is what fits. In Charlotte, they placed mini-grocery stores in historic areas to fit. Buffalo has a take it or leave it attitude and that is the problem. For example, let Wal Mart take over one of the old warehouses in the city. Keep the exterior the same. Look for a compromise.

I agree also that these establishments provide mostly entry level jobs with little or no benefits, but ENTRY LEVEL is called as such for a reason. Those types of jobs give people work experience that they can then hopefully one day transfer to a higher level job.
    The challenge with this is the failure for people in Buffalo to want to test the market. In my industry, you are insane NOT to change jobs every 2-3 years. People like consistency in Buffalo. That is why is has consistently been crappy for so long. Take a job, gain skills and take another job. Wait...cant do this because of the golden egg pension....OOPS
    Change will come when the others die. LOL

There was a similar thread started a few months ago, trying to get some hate going against WalMart.

It petered out, as it soon became apparent that benefits are rare in the retailing industry. And always were. Including at old Buffalo icons like Sattlers and AM&A's.

Why? Because margins in retailing are razor-thin. Which means they can't afford them.

BTW-Isn't "no benefits" incorrect WRT Walmart? They pay some benefits IIRC. Just not the cadillac packages which are bankrupting GM and Ford.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Quote Originally Posted by biker

It petered out, as it soon became apparent that benefits are rare in the retailing industry. And always were. Including at old Buffalo icons like Sattlers and AM&A's.
    And isn't it funny how some preservation types pine away for the old glory days of Buffalo retail and AM&A's and the like, when they too offered low pay and little or no benefits?

How ironic?

I guess it's because Wal Mart and Target just aren't as "glamorous."

Or is it because AM&A's and some of the other stores were locally owned? Well that's before the economy changed...
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

more hypocrisy

Kerry's running mate, Edwards, after repeatedly blasting WalMart sent an aid to sleep outside WalMart to get a PS3 for his six year old kid.
    I believe it was PBAguy who so eloquently said, " They hate us untill they need us."
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

I think that the issue with Wal Mart and its pay scales/benefits is WM's impact on smaller metro areas. In the Buffalo metro area, WM offers "entry level" jobs, but in areas like Springville or Warren, PA, it offers many of the "only" retail jobs. Like any big box, WM also tends to drive locally-owned small establishments out of business, which is more noticeable in small markets. Then there were memos found from some Wal Marts in some areas (not WNY and I can't remember where) explaining to employees how to apply for food stamps, Medicaid, and other social services programs.

I don't like Wal Mart because 1) I can never find a parking spot within reasonable commute to the door, especially when it's raining or snowing and 2) the gosh-darn stores are so big, if I forget one item, I have to hike a half mile or more to get it -- if I can even find it 3) too crowded (I only like crowds at football and hockey games!).
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

I was going to post a response here but because I think Rez is encouaging us to begin new posts for new ideas, I'll put my thoughts in a new thread that will be titled "Achbek's Challenge."

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    I don't like Wal Mart because 1) I can never find a parking spot within reasonable commute to the door, especially when it's raining or snowing and 2) the gosh-darn stores are so big, if I forget one item, I have to hike a half mile or more to get it -- if I can even find it 3) too crowded (I only like crowds at football and hockey games!).
    Those sound like three of the best testaments I have ever heard to WalMart's popularity with the masses.

Are you a closet WMT stockholder?

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1
    I was going to post a response here but because I think Rez is encouaging us to begin new posts for new ideas, I'll put my thoughts in a new thread that will be titled "Achbek's Challenge."
    That's funny.

Res has "encouraged" me to stop making new threads.

Hmmmmmm...

That's odd. He encouraged me just to "Stop."

I wish he's make up his mind, already.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Thread Information