Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Rain and Flooding in the town...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    156

    Rain and Flooding in the town...

    I was very disappointed yesterday in the way the Town of Cheektowaga handled the flooding and road closures. I understand this was a once in a lifetime rain storm, but im very upset! Union and William were a mess based on the William Street and Union Road flooding..I would have been much happier if the Highway would have used the Hover Craft as a shuttle for stranded drivers! But I guess they were using it for something else...Lol.

  2. #2
    Member gorja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    9,789
    Quote Originally Posted by cheektowaga View Post
    I was very disappointed yesterday in the way the Town of Cheektowaga handled the flooding and road closures. I understand this was a once in a lifetime rain storm, but im very upset! Union and William were a mess based on the William Street and Union Road flooding..I would have been much happier if the Highway would have used the Hover Craft as a shuttle for stranded drivers! But I guess they were using it for something else...Lol.
    Didn't they sell the Hovercraft?


  3. #3
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    57,937
    Didn't they post warnings on the LED message signs in front of town hall and the police station not to go under the bridge?

  4. #4
    Member gorja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    9,789
    Quote Originally Posted by cheektowaga View Post
    I was very disappointed yesterday in the way the Town of Cheektowaga handled the flooding and road closures. I understand this was a once in a lifetime rain storm, but im very upset! Union and William were a mess based on the William Street and Union Road flooding..I would have been much happier if the Highway would have used the Hover Craft as a shuttle for stranded drivers! But I guess they were using it for something else...Lol.
    I don't think it was once in a lifetime or at least people my age's lifetime

    On page B92

    https://pubs.usgs.gov/wsp/1830b/report.pdf


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    156

    Flooding

    I guess you didn't understand my Sarcasm...

    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I don't think it was once in a lifetime or at least people my age's lifetime

    On page B92

    https://pubs.usgs.gov/wsp/1830b/report.pdf

  6. #6
    Member gorja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    9,789
    Quote Originally Posted by cheektowaga View Post
    I guess you didn't understand my Sarcasm...
    Oooops! Was the whole post suppose to be sarcastic?

    Maybe I'll need to start taking some Ginkgo Biloba to get my brain functioning correctly.

    Thanks for straightening me out.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,135
    There was no one interested in running it anymore so it was retired

  8. #8
    Member Riven37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Town of Cheektowaga
    Posts
    5,145
    I really would like to know why my basement flooded for the first time in 12 years. A few years back we had 3 inches of rain when it rained all day my basement never flooded then why this year ? The Town said our drain was plugged up then why was the swear drain plugged up a few years back when the Town got more rain than 2 1/2 inches what changed the Town had no answer for me. Does someone know !
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    I really would like to know why my basement flooded for the first time in 12 years. A few years back we had 3 inches of rain when it rained all day my basement never flooded then why this year ? The Town said our drain was plugged up then why was the swear drain plugged up a few years back when the Town got more rain than 2 1/2 inches what changed the Town had no answer for me. Does someone know !
    Do you have a floor drain in your basement as opposed to a sump pump system?

  10. #10
    Member Neubs24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    I really would like to know why my basement flooded for the first time in 12 years. A few years back we had 3 inches of rain when it rained all day my basement never flooded then why this year ? The Town said our drain was plugged up then why was the swear drain plugged up a few years back when the Town got more rain than 2 1/2 inches what changed the Town had no answer for me. Does someone know !
    3 inches all day will have different results than the 3 1/2 inches in 3 hours that this storm dropped.

  11. #11
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    57,937
    The creek at Indian and Rowley was the highest I think I have ever seen it.

  12. #12
    Member Riven37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Town of Cheektowaga
    Posts
    5,145
    Both, sump & drain.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    Both, sump & drain.
    This highlights the desperate need to make sure your floor drains, gutter downspouts and sump pumps are NOT connected to the sanitary sewer lines and the vent in your yard is higher then the water that was in your neighborhood or yard.


    Look into getting a backflow valve or preventer system and the proper way to maintain and use it.

    OR

    Move to higher ground.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •