Thread: Rain and Flooding in the town...

Rain and Flooding in the town...

I was very disappointed yesterday in the way the Town of Cheektowaga handled the flooding and road closures. I understand this was a once in a lifetime rain storm, but im very upset! Union and William were a mess based on the William Street and Union Road flooding..I would have been much happier if the Highway would have used the Hover Craft as a shuttle for stranded drivers! But I guess they were using it for something else...Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cheektowaga View Post
    I was very disappointed yesterday in the way the Town of Cheektowaga handled the flooding and road closures. I understand this was a once in a lifetime rain storm, but im very upset! Union and William were a mess based on the William Street and Union Road flooding..I would have been much happier if the Highway would have used the Hover Craft as a shuttle for stranded drivers! But I guess they were using it for something else...Lol.
    Didn't they sell the Hovercraft?

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Didn't they post warnings on the LED message signs in front of town hall and the police station not to go under the bridge?

I don't think it was once in a lifetime or at least people my age's lifetime

On page B92

https://pubs.usgs.gov/wsp/1830b/report.pdf

Georgia L Schlager

Flooding

I guess you didn't understand my Sarcasm...

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I don't think it was once in a lifetime or at least people my age's lifetime

On page B92

https://pubs.usgs.gov/wsp/1830b/report.pdf

I guess you didn't understand my Sarcasm...
    Oooops! Was the whole post suppose to be sarcastic?

Maybe I'll need to start taking some Ginkgo Biloba to get my brain functioning correctly.

Thanks for straightening me out.

Georgia L Schlager

There was no one interested in running it anymore so it was retired

I really would like to know why my basement flooded for the first time in 12 years. A few years back we had 3 inches of rain when it rained all day my basement never flooded then why this year ? The Town said our drain was plugged up then why was the swear drain plugged up a few years back when the Town got more rain than 2 1/2 inches what changed the Town had no answer for me. Does someone know !
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    I really would like to know why my basement flooded for the first time in 12 years. A few years back we had 3 inches of rain when it rained all day my basement never flooded then why this year ? The Town said our drain was plugged up then why was the swear drain plugged up a few years back when the Town got more rain than 2 1/2 inches what changed the Town had no answer for me. Does someone know !
    Do you have a floor drain in your basement as opposed to a sump pump system?

3 inches all day will have different results than the 3 1/2 inches in 3 hours that this storm dropped.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The creek at Indian and Rowley was the highest I think I have ever seen it.

Both, sump & drain.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Both, sump & drain.
    This highlights the desperate need to make sure your floor drains, gutter downspouts and sump pumps are NOT connected to the sanitary sewer lines and the vent in your yard is higher then the water that was in your neighborhood or yard.

Look into getting a backflow valve or preventer system and the proper way to maintain and use it.

OR

Move to higher ground.

Thread Information