Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite town park or recreational facility

I went through this past Wednesday morning. The pickleball courts looked like they had about 20-25 people, most having to wait to play. The bocce looked to have about the same. I am guessing these are associated with the senior center somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by metal god View Post
    I went through this past Wednesday morning. The pickleball courts looked like they had about 20-25 people, most having to wait to play. The bocce looked to have about the same. I am guessing these are associated with the senior center somehow.
    It states in this school brochure that the Pickleball courts are open from sunrise to sunset for the public. The courts use is restricted to the senior center Mon-Fri from 7 am - noon. This time of year, you could get an hour in before the senior center folks take over.

http://www.lancasterschools.org/cms/...hure%20NEW.pdf

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Yes, they are a very busy crew and what many residents fail to realize the close relationship that exists between Highway Superintendent Dan Amatura and Recreation and Parks Crew Chief Mark Lubera that leads to sharing workers and services to ensure the mowing you referred to takes place, park equipment/shelters/etc. and public buildings are maintained, drainage ditch cleaning now occurs on a regular schedule, and all else is in good condition.
    They had quite a crew on my street yesterday, sadly for tree removal. They were all down (around 20 trees) before I left my house at 1115. By the end of the day all the stumps were ground, the chips cleaned up, dirt and seed filled in and the street sweeper made a couple passes.

County Roads and who plows them

Unfortunately, too many Lancaster residents cannot distinguish which are Town Roads, which are County Roads and who plows what. Here is a list that gives that information.

County Roads

Aurora – Town plows Village line to Clinton
    Bowen Road – County plows (2.5 miles)
    Cemetery Road – County plows (1.75 miles)
    Central Avenue/Harris Hill – Town plows from Broadway to Genesee
    Harris Hill – County plows 0.81 miles north of Genesee
    Como Park Blvd. – Town plows
    Gunnville Road – County plows (0.71 miles)
    Hall Road – Town Plows
    Lake Avenue –Town plows from Village line to William Street
    Nichter Road – County plows (0.86 miles)
    Pavement Road – County plows (3.54 miles)
    Penora Street – Town plows
    Pleasantview Drive – Town plows
    Ransom Road – County plows (6.2 miles)
    Schwartz Road – County plows (1.86 miles)
    Stony Road – Town Plows
    Townline Road – County plows (6.2 miles)
    Westwood Road – County plows (2.25 miles)
    William Street – Town plows from Transit Road to Bowen Road
    William Street – County plows from Bowen Road to Schwartz Road (1.69 miles)

The Town of Lancaster Highway Department performs year-round maintenance on 158 lane miles of Town Roads and has a contract with Erie County for 16 miles of County Roads in the Town of Lancaster for snow and ice removal.

State Roads
    Broadway
    Genesee
    Transit Road
    Walden Avenue

Has anyone tried the Zumba classes on Wednesday evenings at Westwood?
    As an ungraceful klutz for 65 years was wondering if that would be beyond my capabilities?

Georgia L Schlager

The highway department has been busy in my area on the 3 days I've been off this week, so far.
    Monday, they were working on the storm sewer drain near Taft and Central
    Yesterday, Hess and Central - north side
    Today, Hess and Central - south side

They grade it off and seed it when complete. Nice neat job.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    The highway department has been busy in my area on the 3 days I've been off this week, so far.
    Monday, they were working on the storm sewer drain near Taft and Central
    Yesterday, Hess and Central - north side
    Today, Hess and Central - south side

They grade it off and seed it when complete. Nice neat job.
    I have to say this is unlike the private contractor who left thick mud all over the road on Ronald Ave across from Katherine.
    What a mess to leave. I'm surprised the homeowner didn't get after the contractor to clean it up. Someone used a sweeper down that road a couple weeks ago. That was all for naught

Georgia L Schlager

After my 70 minute - 5 mile walk and some run this morning (my record), the man that's usually there before me in the morning said at about the 1/2 mile mark, he heard a howl then screaching. He assumed a coyote got a deer. I'm thinking maybe I should carry my umbrella rain or shine in the morning.

Yesterday when I did my 2nd walk at about 2pm, there was a chunky man wearing one of those flourescent green shirts sitting on a rock at the beginning of the trail smoking. Forgot to look to see if he flicked his butts on the ground

Georgia L Schlager

After my dog and I walked the trail this morning, we drove into the Westwood park from the Schwartz road side to look at the bike trail there. They might be paving there as I saw a paver near the other end so I turned around and went back out. Anyone know what the length of one lap is at Westwood?

Georgia L Schlager

These were on the ground behind where I park my car at the Walter winter parking lot this morning.
    Something cleaned whatever it was right down to the bones.

Georgia L Schlager

Probably deer eaten by a coyote.

That was my thought. I use to see a fawn there quite a few mornings when I use to go in the dark. But when one walker warned me about the coyotes, I have tried to wait until daylight and haven't seen the deer as much as I did before.

Georgia L Schlager

I pleasantly surprised to see that the crosswalk where the bike path intersects Pavement Rd has had the old striping sealed over and bright new striping has been done.
    In my opinion, they need pedestrian signs in lieu of bicycle signs near the bike path crosswalks.
    Bicycles are suppose to follow the same laws as motor vehicles which would be to stop at the intersection while pedestrians have the right-of-way to cross the crosswalk with the motor vehicles stopping

Georgia L Schlager

From this week's Bee Heard column-
    Could someone please tell me why in the world the Lancaster Parks Department quit cutting grass a month and a half ago when we are having the nicest fall in history? I really do hope the town board did their homework and put someone in there with some experience and knows what’s going on in the construction world. I hope they found a suitable replacement.
    Is the caller aware that the summer help leaves in August?
    Is the caller aware that the parks department is responsible for mowing 5 parks and the 4 mile Heritage trail?
    Is the caller aware that they also are responsible for mowing 73 subdivision entrances?
    Is the caller aware that they also are responsible for mowing around town buildings?
    The caller should have gotten their facts together before complaining, IMHO.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    From this week's Bee Heard column-

Is the caller aware that the summer help leaves in August?
    Is the caller aware that the parks department is responsible for mowing 5 parks and the 4 mile Heritage trail?
    Is the caller aware that they also are responsible for mowing 73 subdivision entrances?
    Is the caller aware that they also are responsible for mowing around town buildings?
    The caller should have gotten their facts together before complaining, IMHO.
    First off, Gorja, the Bee Heard column is a useless piece of tripe in that the caller remains anonymous and most often has an agenda other than the message he or she is leaving – here replacing the current retiring Parks crew chief with a new appointee while taking a parting shot at Mark Lubera.

That said; there is no reason the grass had not been cut. Policies, new equipment and technology, and permanent part-time help positions are in place to ensure services are provided to keep the parks maintained after August.

I understand the grass has since been cut, overflowing garbage receptacles emptied, etc. The work should have been performed without a resident having to point it out it wasn't.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information