Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favorite town park or recreational facility

I have to disagree, Lee. How is it possible for the same volume of work to be completed in the fall after losing the 14 summer laborers? The elements of the weather this fall seems to have been the right prescription for growing grass. I can't remember having to mow my lawn so often. Sometimes it has been less than a week between mowings.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I have to disagree, Lee. How is it possible for the same volume of work to be completed in the fall after losing the 14 summer laborers? The elements of the weather this fall seems to have been the right prescription for growing grass. I can't remember having to mow my lawn so often. Sometimes it has been less than a week between mowings.
    I will indeed respond after you tell me if the 14 summer laborers you refer to were all hires for the Parks Department alone and assigned to just cut grass and maintain just the parks when in fact according to the budget there are only 6 laborers assigned to Parks?

And, if you are saying that the town does not have a plan in place to accommodate for longer growing seasons when in fact there is relief from winter duties, permanent-temporary part-time hires have become the norm and where new equipment and technology are in place that should increase productivity with same or less help, then the department is being mismanaged.

BTW – The grass was cut and the overflowing garbage bins were emptied – the result of resident due diligence. Warmer than usual, yes, but no anomaly.

There were 18 seasonal laborers hired for the Parks and Forestry Depts. 1 in the April 3rd meeting and 17 in the May 1st meeting. Included in those same resolutions were the hiring of 26 recreational attendants and 37 Lifeguards.

The 2017 budget had 6 laborers and 1 labor aide. The labor aide position has transformed into a laborer.
    As of 8/1/17, they had $85,000 budgeted for grass cutters. As of 6/30/17 they had utilized $31,512 of that budget.

Is the grass cutter budget just the seasonal help? Who knows? I don't.
    So, i don't have an answer for you, Lee

As you stated Lee, there are part time permanent positions. 3 parks PT perm laborers were appointed on Sept 5. Have no idea where that money is allocated in the budget

Posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Warmer than usual, yes, but no anomaly.
    I wasn't speaking of heat alone but the combination of sun, rain and heat. I will say that I've been out raking leaves since 6 this morning and my grass does not look like it has grown since I mowed it on Tuesday. The growing season is slowing down.
    Normally, I mow my leaves - bag or mulch but the noise ordinance prevents me from doing that.
    Onward to the rest of my day's agenda.

Georgia L Schlager

Originally posted by shortstuff:
    So we take our walks directly to the Westwood trail. Westwood is very nice too, I love the pond and winding pathways.
    Shortie, you were right. I took my dog for a short walk there this afternoon because I had to get back to mow up leaves for the 2nd time today in my back swamp. I'm afraid the leaf coverage will prevent it from ever drying out.

Westwood looked GREAT. The lawn was mowed nice, trash containers were empty and the workers were busy pounding in snowplow stakes along the trail.

I'm not going to mind at all that the hunters are giving me the boot from the Heritage trail for big game season
    Thanks for sharing your good experience there.

Georgia L Schlager

Shortie, you were right. I took my dog for a short walk there this afternoon because I had to get back to mow up leaves for the 2nd time today in my back swamp. I'm afraid the leaf coverage will prevent it from ever drying out.

Westwood looked GREAT. The lawn was mowed nice, trash containers were empty and the workers were busy pounding in snowplow stakes along the trail.

I'm not going to mind at all that the hunters are giving me the boot from the Heritage trail for big game season
    Thanks for sharing your good experience there.
    I know right...
    Very well kept, Danny & crew are doing a good job. I love both paths - but my preference is Westwood.

FYI
    Risk level 2 SEX OFFENDER relocated to 4556 Walden which is 2 houses east of Walden Pond park
    http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/So...=29497&lang=EN

Georgia L Schlager

Since there are some careless hunters out there, I'm surprised that people are still walking the closed Heritage trail and without bright colors on. A Westwood Rd resident whose property backs up to the trail said the police monitor the trail but there are still people walking in non-bright colored clothing.

Georgia L Schlager

I pleasantly surprised to see that the crosswalk where the bike path intersects Pavement Rd has had the old striping sealed over and bright new striping has been done.
    In my opinion, they need pedestrian signs in lieu of bicycle signs near the bike path crosswalks.
    Bicycles are suppose to follow the same laws as motor vehicles which would be to stop at the intersection while pedestrians have the right-of-way to cross the crosswalk with the motor vehicles stopping
    At Monday's board meeting, there was a resolution regarding an application for grant money in a coalition with other local municipalities for crosswalk improvements on the Heritage Trail. I was glad to hear this as I had expressed my concern regarding the safety of the Pavement Rd crosswalk with the dip in the road to the north at the September 18th meeting.

GREAT JOB TOWN BOARD and TOWN ENGINEER

Georgia L Schlager

I'm glad that they are having a conversation on this one gorja. It is a very busy road especially with the current aggressive development in the surrounding area.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information