Thread: Silver conviction reversed

Silver conviction reversed

A federal appeals court reversed the conviction of Sheldon Silver today. This marks just another in a long line of high publicity convictions gained by publicity seeker Preet Bharara that have been overturned on appeal. Many of his convictions were based on nothing more than hate mongering by Bharara and the press. And the usual misapplication of the law that the "Justice" Dept under BO routinely pursued. Instead of wasting time and money on a retrying case they can't win maybe the US Attorney in New York should investigate the real culprit in so many of these miscarriages of justice.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    A federal appeals court reversed the conviction of Sheldon Silver today. This marks just another in a long line of high publicity convictions gained by publicity seeker Preet Bharara that have been overturned on appeal. Many of his convictions were based on nothing more than hate mongering by Bharara and the press. And the usual misapplication of the law that the "Justice" Dept under BO routinely pursued. Instead of wasting time and money on a retrying case they can't win maybe the US Attorney in New York should investigate the real culprit in so many of these miscarriages of justice.
    An incentive now for the politicians to to continue to line their pockets at public expense...'cause the Court says they're ABOVE THE LAW!

I don't think that's what the Court said. And you have to keep in mind that many of Bharara's overturned convictions had nothing to do with government corruption. The man was a publicity monger who tried cases in the press. If you think that's a good idea I hope you don't find yourself a defendant in a "newsworthy" case.

Once again the local fish wrap is left flummoxed by the rule of law. A years long leader in witch hunt against legislative leaders in Albany the News is left once again choking on the fact that the law is there to protect even people it has targeted. It is worth contemplating that if "unsavory" equaled "illegal" its editorial staff and many of its "reporters" and "commentators" would be doing life without parole.

The courts and the legislators are still at odds over what constitutes "honest service" by politicians. Vince Agnello had his convictions overturned on those grounds. The Governor of Maryland I want to say. All seem to use the same argument with respect to what constitutes a bribe, versus constituent service and or lobbying. Its about the nature of money in politics and it is tough.

b.b.

BB, I think "theft of honest services" is a bull**** concept. And I don't think it's meant to apply just to politicians. Every person who shops on line from the office desk on Cyber Monday is guilty of theft of honest services. Gonna prosecute them all? It was a concept that was left with no concrete definable parameters precisely so it could be used in any way some dilly federal prosecutor saw fit. To have any meaningful deterrent power a law has to have sufficient clarity so that one can guide one's conduct accordingly. The one and only solution to reducing the influence of $$$ in government is to reduce the money available to govt., i.e., cut govt spending so that there's less of our money to be handed out by others to others.
    Last edited by grump; July 14th, 2017 at 01:57 PM.

As if there weren't enough reasons to leave NY....

What BS!!!

Save Us, there are dozens of good reasons to leave NY but in the hierarchy of reasons I don't think this one court case is near the top. The News editorial whining about the reversal of Silver's conviction is comical. That's right Buffalo News it is more than a technicality it's the law! If people had any idea the number of times the News has reached out to state elected officials locally to beg $$$ for pet projects favored by its editorial board they would realize the comical phoniness of the News. They never promised a kickback...but there's always that favorable endorsement at election time!

Thread Information