Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Zoning Board of Appeals job posting (Lancaster website)

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I noticed when the board goes over the dispositions of the communications near the end of the meeting that Mr Mikoley's letter disposition was 'under consideration'.

When the supervisor stated the disposition of Mrs Lemaster's letter of consideration, it was just 'received and filed'

Yet, at one time, the board made it appear that they were just waiting for more letters to be considered and the reality is the first letter wasn't under consideration at all.
    Good Observation!!

His letter in the communications stated that his resume was attached but I found no resume following his letter.
    His letter stated that for the last 17 years he was a real estate broker for Cushman Wakefield/Pyramid Brokerage Company. Prior to that, he worked in real estate related positions in the banking field.
    He has lived in Lancaster since 2000. He has served on the Village of Lancaster Community Development Corporation for over 10 years.
    Prior to that, he had served as a board member and chair of the Lancaster Family YMCA and as Vice chair of the Lancaster area Chamber of Commerce.

I know I'll get bashed for this but it's my opinion
    The town ZBA position concerns zoning in the town outside of the village. This applicant is a resident of the village which has its own ZBA for the area where he resides. I feel the Town of Lancaster ZBA candidate should be a resident of the town outside of the villages which is the area of concern for this ZBA.

Not because I am an applicant, but I do agree with you.

I noticed when the board goes over the dispositions of the communications near the end of the meeting that Mr Mikoley's letter disposition was 'under consideration'.

When the supervisor stated the disposition of Mrs Lemaster's letter of consideration, it was just 'received and filed'

Yet, at one time, the board made it appear that they were just waiting for more letters to be considered and the reality is the first letter wasn't under consideration at all.
    Well that shoots my theory, it looks like they have their person. And I bet you dollar to donuts, Abraham will be the other one to fill that seat. Sorry Deb....

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Well that shoots my theory, it looks like they have their person. And I bet you dollar to donuts, Abraham will be the other one to fill that seat. Sorry Deb....
    Unless Planning Board member Rebecca Anderson does not submit a letter of intent to be reappointed and they slide Abraham into that open position.

Anything is possible in the world of patronage politics; shuffling the deck chairs as they now say.

Abraham has the creds to fill the PB position but I would miss Becky's environmental knowledge, candor and experience gained while serving on the board.

And now there are four

For six months there has been an open seat on the Town Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) – since the demise of one of its members in June, 2017. For five of the following months the only applicant submitting a letter of intent to fill the position was resident Debbie Lemaster. Lemaster was found to be lacking in environmental experience by four of the town board members. A written resolution sponsored by Councilman Ron Ruffino to approve her hiring was not formally put on the agenda for vote as Ruffino could not get any member to agree to second the motion if it was introduced.

It became obvious the board did not want to consider filling the position until after the election – fearing any negative consequences for the two Democratic incumbents running for council re-election; despite one of them being Ruffino who wrote and displayed the resolution at a town board meeting.

Well, Councilman John Abraham lost his bid for re-election, but Ruffino won as did Republican candidate Adam Dickman. The Town Board makeup for 2018 will have Democrats Johanna Coleman (Supervisor) and councilman Ruffino, Republican Dickman, Conservative Dawn Gaczewski (ran as a Democrat in 2015) and ‘blank’ Matt Walter (who also ran and won on the Democratic Party line in 2015). Quite diverse, one would think. However, the only board change was Dickman replacing Abraham.

What is intriguing is that Lemaster was denied ZBA approval based on lack of ‘environmental experience’, despite the fact that she attends Town Board meetings religiously, has attended ZBA meetings, is quite adapt at zoning requirements and respected by the community.

ZBA member John Bruso has resigned. Now there are two ZBA positions available.

In December, three individuals have submitted applications for the position – all from Democrats. Mrs. Lemaster is a Conservative. Two of the applicants have extensive backgrounds in real estate and the one has recently become an appraiser.

The third applicant, Tyler Sojka, submitted an impressive application letter citing his educational background, work experience and the fact that he has attended numerous Town and Village of Lancaster board meetings and Zoning Board of Appeals meetings as well. It is quite an accomplished/impressive bio for a young man who graduated from college just a few years ago.

Looking at this supposedly diverse town board make-up , it would be interesting to see/hear what criteria was used to determine which two applicants were found most qualified for the two open ZBA positions – especially if the ‘environmental experience’ criteria is still the gold standard.

Does Conservative Lemaster now have a shot? I would hope so. It is she who attends town board meetings, truly knows town operations and is respected for her integrity and impartiality.

But as many of us know, politics suck and any outcome is possible.

In December, three individuals have submitted applications for the position – all from Democrats. Mrs. Lemaster is a Conservative. Two of the applicants have extensive backgrounds in real estate and the one has recently become an appraiser.

The third applicant, Tyler Sojka, submitted an impressive application letter citing his educational background, work experience and the fact that he has attended numerous Town and Village of Lancaster board meetings and Zoning Board of Appeals meetings as well. It is quite an accomplished/impressive bio for a young man who graduated from college just a few years ago.
    Just my personal thoughts:

I am dubious of any resume suggesting that a background in real estate and/or land development qualifies a candidate(s) for a position(s) on the ZBA.

That leaves Mrs. Lemaster and Mr. Sojka.

Mrs. Lemaster and Mr. Sojka, together, seem to have the perfect mix of practical qualifications and political diversity.

Absent some unforeseen issue(s), I believe, at this time, that the Council could keep faith with the 2015 Democrat campaign pledge of a Council independent of pure political considerations, and honor the overall interests of the town's general welfare, with the confirmation of Mrs. Lemaster and Mr. Sojka.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Just my personal thoughts:

I am dubious of any resume suggesting that a background in real estate and/or land development qualifies a candidate(s) for a position(s) on the ZBA.

That leaves Mrs. Lemaster and Mr. Sojka.

Mrs. Lemaster and Mr. Sojka, together, seem to have the perfect mix of practical qualifications and political diversity.

Absent some unforeseen issue(s), I believe, at this time, that the Council could keep faith with the 2015 Democrat campaign pledge of a Council independent of pure political considerations, and honor the overall interests of the town's general welfare, with the confirmation of Mrs. Lemaster and Mr. Sojka.
    Yes, Mrs Lemaster and Tyler Sojka will would be my choice, as well.

Appointing the real estate experienced candidates to the ZBA would be akin to appointing a developer to that position, IMO.

Georgia L Schlager

Is Tyler Sojka Greg's son or nephew? Doesn't matter if it is, just curious

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    Is Tyler Sojka Greg's son or nephew? Doesn't matter if it is, just curious
    Don't know. I can't hold his relationship to Greg against him

Georgia L Schlager

Don't know. I can't hold his relationship to Greg against him
    Neither would I. From what I can gather its his son. Good luck to him.

The Bee stated he received his bachelor's degree this past spring. Maybe some of his experience has been in an internship.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information