Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zoning Board of Appeals job posting (Lancaster website)

Mrs. Kreavy’s experience and qualifications are outstanding. I do not understand the application withdrawal as the conflict, politics as she states it is, has nothing to do with her. The appointed position is supposed to be posted for others to apply and receive equal and fair review.
    This is the problem when politics abuse government. Good, qualified, but "connected" people, like Mrs. Kreavy, sometime get caught-up in the controversial scum of the "swamp."

On the other hand, good, well qualified, but "unconnected" people never get considered.

Thank you for any future considerations as I do like living in Lancaster.
    If Mrs. Kreavy is interested in public service, I would suggest that she remain in consideration for this position, and let her impressive credentials speak for themselves in an open and fair competitive process.

Work experience with the county Dept of Environment & Planning qualifies you to do nothing. It is a dumping ground for friends of Poloncarz. In fact if I were picking a ZBA member for my town, experience at DEP would disqualify you from the get go.

It is a dumping ground for friends of Poloncarz.
    Ah, Grumpster, never an unexpressed thought. Nothing wrong with that, and I actually find it virtuous. But, sometimes it appears that you can not tell the difference between tact and a tack, and you hang things on both.

But, concerning the bracketed quote, in a generalized sense, I agree with you.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; July 15th, 2017 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Work experience with the county Dept of Environment & Planning qualifies you to do nothing. It is a dumping ground for friends of Poloncarz. In fact if I were picking a ZBA member for my town, experience at DEP would disqualify you from the get go.
    Grump, whether you realize it or not, you have touched some sensitive nerves within the county and Lancaster politicos!!!!!!

Now that the town is following due process by openly posting the vacated Zoning Board of Appeals position on the Town website and at Town Hall, I wonder if any individual has submitted a letter of intent to serve, whether each applicant will be personally interviewed, and/or what part political patronage will once again play as it was when the first individual was to be appointed without any job posting; and who withdrew her name when she learned the part politics can play in the process.

Enough time has gone by for individuals to apply, submit resumes and have interviews (IMO); especially if the field is limited in size. I would expect to see an appointment resolution at the August 8th meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Now that the town is following due process by openly posting the vacated Zoning Board of Appeals position on the Town website and at Town Hall, I wonder if any individual has submitted a letter of intent to serve, whether each applicant will be personally interviewed, and/or what part political patronage will once again play as it was when the first individual was to be appointed without any job posting; and who withdrew her name when she learned the part politics can play in the process.

Enough time has gone by for individuals to apply, submit resumes and have interviews (IMO); especially if the field is limited in size. I would expect to see an appointment resolution at the August 8th meeting.
    That sounds good to me, Lee. The vacancy was posted on 7/3/17. Twice that evening Councilman Abraham stated that they would leave it up a couple weeks. It will be 4 weeks on Monday. The supervisor stated the position needed to be filled due to having a hard time reaching a quorum of members to conduct their ZBA meetings. One board member only attended 40% of the first 5 board meetings this year. Why take a position if you can't commit to attend?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    That sounds good to me, Lee. The vacancy was posted on 7/3/17. Twice that evening Councilman Abraham stated that they would leave it up a couple weeks. It will be 4 weeks on Monday. The supervisor stated the position needed to be filled due to having a hard time reaching a quorum of members to conduct their ZBA meetings. One board member only attended 40% of the first 5 board meetings this year. Why take a position if you can't commit to attend?
    I didn't realize gorja that these board members are not attending on a regular basis to fulfill their duties. The ZBA meetings IMO are important because it involves infrastructure and development of various interests/nature whether it entails larger or smaller jobs. I would suspect that the town board members at this time, start evaluating attendance records of these appointees and if their attendance is suspect, a warning and if they do not adhere to the warning, then they are not fulfilling their appointed duties, remove them. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    I didn't realize gorja that these board members are not attending on a regular basis to fulfill their duties. The ZBA meetings IMO are important because it involves infrastructure and development of various interests/nature whether it entails larger or smaller jobs. I would suspect that the town board members at this time, start evaluating attendance records of these appointees and if their attendance is suspect, a warning and if they do not adhere to the warning, then they are not fulfilling their appointed duties, remove them. Simple.
    Oh Shortie,
    Shoot, I wrote that wrong. Instead "attended 40%", it should have said "was absent for 40%"

Georgia L Schlager

Oh Shortie,
    Shoot, I wrote that wrong. Instead "attended 40%", it should have said "was absent for 40%"

LOL, any updates do we know of gorja?

What’s the hold up?

Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) member James Perry’s death was announced at the June 5th Town Board meeting.

On June 15th the Town Board receives a letter of intent from Jeanne Kreavy to fill the vacant position.

On July 3rd, John Abraham sponsors a resolution to appoint Kreavy to the ZBA. Abraham and the Supervisor cite the importance of filling the position ASAP. Abraham is informed you can’t fill the ZBA position without first publically posting the job opening. The resolution is pulled.

The position opening was posted within a day allowing for applicants to send in letters of intent and resumes.

On July 15th, Mrs. Kreavy withdraws her application. According to the communications entered in the July 17th Town Board meeting agenda, no other applications were received.

In reality, one individual did enter a letter of intent before the July 17th meeting but was entered too late to appear in the communications of that meeting.

Reading the communications for the upcoming August 7th Town Board meeting, there are no letters of interest for the position. Debbie Lemaster did submit a letter of intent, too late to be entered in the July 17th communications, but still not entered in this communication packet?

It has been a month since the job posting. Why the delay; politics as usual in play?

A job posting for a month and we haven’t received any information from the town as to whether there are any applicants and what their names are. Is this fair to Mrs. Lemaster; to any applicant?

I was under the assumption that any letter sent into the board became a part of the communications packet.
    I had just made a remark on a social media site https://centralandwalden.nextdoor.com/news_feed/ and it became a part of the communications packet which certainly wasn't my intent..

Mrs Lemaster would be a great asset to the ZBA. She doesn't play politics.
    Did they interview this candidate?
    They shouldn't be leaving Mrs Lemaster just hanging in the wind
    Is this going to be one of those situations where the political party has a "chosen one"?

The time is up. That couple weeks of posting the job will have stretched to 5 weeks on 8/4. A decision should be made

Georgia L Schlager

I was under the assumption that any letter sent into the board became a part of the communications packet.
    I had just made a remark on a social media site https://centralandwalden.nextdoor.com/news_feed/ and it became a part of the communications packet which certainly wasn't my intent..

Mrs Lemaster would be a great asset to the ZBA. She doesn't play politics.
    Did they interview this candidate?
    They shouldn't be leaving Mrs Lemaster just hanging in the wind
    Is this going to be one of those situations where the political party has a "chosen one"?

The time is up. That couple weeks of posting the job will have stretched to 5 weeks on 8/4. A decision should be made
    Thank you gorja! I was interviewed by two Council Members only. if the board members are looking for a "YES" person, that is not me. I believe in doing my own research and voting in the best interest of the community.
    I am trying to figure out why my letter was never added to the communications. Do I have to resubmit my letter and if so, WHY? I have reached out to one of the Council Members for an answer.
    I am also wondering why the last applicant withdrew her letter.

Quote Originally Posted by DebLemaster View Post
    Thank you gorja! I was interviewed by two Council Members only. if the board members are looking for a "YES" person, that is not me. I believe in doing my own research and voting in the best interest of the community.
    I am trying to figure out why my letter was never added to the communications. Do I have to resubmit my letter and if so, WHY? I have reached out to one of the Council Members for an answer.
    I am also wondering why the last applicant withdrew her letter.
    It's nice to hear that you were interviewed albeit by only 2 board members but at least interviewed.
    Did they give you any time frame for an announcement of the appointment whether you or someone else?

We all do know that you won't be a 'YES' person.

The ZBA has another meeting on Thursday. Will there be enough members there for a quorum? That seemed to be one of the supervisor's issue with the need of an appointment to the ZBA.

Good luck!!

Georgia L Schlager

The last applicant's reasons for withdrawal weren't too clear.
    Last edited by gorja; August 6th, 2017 at 05:34 PM.

Georgia L Schlager

It's nice to hear that you were interviewed albeit by only 2 board members but at least interviewed.
    Did they give you any time frame for an announcement of the appointment whether you or someone else?

We all do know that you won't be a 'YES' person.

The ZBA has another meeting on Thursday. Will there be enough members there for a quorum? That seemed to be one of the supervisor's issue with the need of an appointment to the ZBA.

Good luck!!
    No, I was never given a time frame.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information