Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Zoning Board of Appeals job posting (Lancaster website)

Grump's observations do raise an important point.

The semantics surrounding this "position" and the attendant process are important, at least in terms of publicly conveying significance. Some of the phraseology seemingly serves to reduce the perceptions of the position's importance. I'm just wondering if the use of the word "seat," in some point of the word game, would serve to clarify, and properly elevate, those diminished "perceptions?"

In any event, Grump is correct in that the "position" is not a "job" opening within the meaning of civil service law.

This matter concerns a vacant position within town government, carrying with it, deliberative, decision-making responsibilities. Those decisions, made in the name, and on behalf of, the citizens of Lancaster, impact the town's overall welfare, far more than any civil service- classified labor position ever could.

My opinion only.

And the 'seat' does come with GREAT responsibility attached to it.
    http://www.tughill.org/wp-content/up...lPaper2015.pdf

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    And the 'seat' does come with GREAT responsibility attached to it.
    http://www.tughill.org/wp-content/up...lPaper2015.pdf
    PERFECT ATTACHMENT! Thanx Gorja.

Mr Thill did an awesome job when he was on the ZBA. He really did his research and critiqued
    what the town had done all those years for allowing airport expansion beyond the 25% allowed in the code.
    Why they didn't reappoint him at the time his term was completed is an unanswered question.
    It would make one assume the board didn't like being critiqued.

Georgia L Schlager

He really did his research and critiqued
    Perhaps they wanted robots not research; compliance not critiques?

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Perhaps they wanted robots not research; compliance not critiques?
    I understood it that way myself but what the truth is, I don't know.

Georgia L Schlager

I understood it that way myself but what the truth is, I don't know.
    Political clarity is oximoronic.

Mr Thill did an awesome job when he was on the ZBA. He really did his research and critiqued
    what the town had done all those years for allowing airport expansion beyond the 25% allowed in the code.
    Why they didn't reappoint him at the time his term was completed is an unanswered question.
    It would make one assume the board didn't like being critiqued.

Mr. Thill was amazing. He was intelligent, understood the law, how the town functions and had an excellent understanding of the English language. They did not reappoint him because he became to curious and asked too many questions.

Someone who is knowledgeable, has a vision, open mindedness and the ability to understand the law of the zoning laws should be the one appointed to the ZBA. Not a friend or family where patronage has become common place. A person that should be appointed also should not be a Democrat. Have you noticed how many Democrats sit on all of the appointed seats?

Originally posted by shortstuff:
    Someone who is knowledgeable, has a vision, open mindedness and the ability to understand the law of the zoning laws should be the one appointed to the ZBA. Not a friend or family where patronage has become common place.
    You're so right with statement. Mr Thill may have been a Democrat but he knew his stuff.

As far as members from this board and other boards, I honestly don't know their political affiliation. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say a preponderance of the members were democrats. As long as they do what's right for the town, I don't care what their political affiliation is. That's just my opinion.

Georgia L Schlager

Dear Gorja, I joined Speakup because I genuinely care about our community. I have read your posts for upwards of a year and all I can gather is that you are a bored woman with nothing better to do than to find all the negative points and use them to try to make yourself seem intelligent, which clearly you are not. I have held my breath way too long and I can no longer contain my voice. The problem with our community is people like you who always want to judge and find the wrong instead of actually doing something positive about it. Actions speak louder than words. All You do is hide behind your keyboard and pretend you have all the answers. If you know so much, step up and become a board member, whether it's the planning, zoning or the town board. It actually sickens me to know that I share our neighborhood with a woman like yourself. I try to teach my children to be positive and make a difference. Shame on you!

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Mr. Thill was amazing. He was intelligent, understood the law, how the town functions and had an excellent understanding of the English language. They did not reappoint him because he became to curious and asked too many questions.

Someone who is knowledgeable, has a vision, open mindedness and the ability to understand the law of the zoning laws should be the one appointed to the ZBA. Not a friend or family where patronage has become common place. A person that should be appointed also should not be a Democrat. Have you noticed how many Democrats sit on all of the appointed seats?
    Through the numerous ZBA meetings I attended over the years, I also found Mr. Thill exceptionally knowledgeable on town and state zoning code ordinances. Unfortunately, he was not re-appointed because of politics – this coming from a ‘blank’ that cares not about party affiliation but on an individual’s knowledge and their background experience qualifying him or her for the position.

Whereas over the years some ZBA seats have been filled with non contributing bodies, Mr. Thill took the time and made the effort to visit sites seeking variances and in speaking to plaintiffs and neighboring residents with concerns and/or objections to the variance. You may not have always agreed or liked the outcome of his determination but it was based on solid research and in the best interest of the community.

His downfall in not getting re-appointed could very well be contributed to his being a pain in the ass to many in the political and business world and his commitment to doing the job he was appointed to do.

BTW - He was one hell of Town Clerk as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Through the numerous ZBA meetings I attended over the years, I also found Mr. Thill exceptionally knowledgeable on town and state zoning code ordinances. Unfortunately, he was not re-appointed because of politics – this coming from a ‘blank’ that cares not about party affiliation but on an individual’s knowledge and their background experience qualifying him or her for the position.

Whereas over the years some ZBA seats have been filled with non contributing bodies, Mr. Thill took the time and made the effort to visit sites seeking variances and in speaking to plaintiffs and neighboring residents with concerns and/or objections to the variance. You may not have always agreed or liked the outcome of his determination but it was based on solid research and in the best interest of the community.

His downfall in not getting re-appointed could very well be contributed to his being a pain in the ass to many in the political and business world and his commitment to doing the job he was appointed to do.

BTW - He was one hell of Town Clerk as well.
    I didn't live here when he was town clerk. I saw him in action at the ZBA hearing for the airport. He was phenomenal.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Saras2017 View Post
    Dear Gorja, I joined Speakup because I genuinely care about our community. I have read your posts for upwards of a year and all I can gather is that you are a bored woman with nothing better to do than to find all the negative points and use them to try to make yourself seem intelligent, which clearly you are not. I have held my breath way too long and I can no longer contain my voice. The problem with our community is people like you who always want to judge and find the wrong instead of actually doing something positive about it. Actions speak louder than words. All You do is hide behind your keyboard and pretend you have all the answers. If you know so much, step up and become a board member, whether it's the planning, zoning or the town board. It actually sickens me to know that I share our neighborhood with a woman like yourself. I try to teach my children to be positive and make a difference. Shame on you!
    Welcome to speakup, Sara.

I do appreciate the critique and will try to make more positive posts. In my personal life, people tell me that I'm too darn optimistic. I guess, I should spread that optimism here more frequently.

Please take note to the title of the city and town forum -

Taxpayers - Local town and city politics in Western New York
    How are things in your Community

When I first starting reading speakup back in 2007, it was the articles.

Like these -
    Lancaster Town Board Avoids Answering Questions
    By Gary S. Howell

https://www.speakupwny.com/article_3093.shtml

Windsor Ridge South: Part I: Developer says he’s good to go. Town says “whoa”!
    By Lee Chowaniec

https://www.speakupwny.com/article_3125.shtml

Windsor Ridge South: Part II: Developer says he’s good to go. Town says “whoa”! …continued
    By Lee Chowaniec

https://www.speakupwny.com/article_3128.shtml

Unfairness of Condo Law 339-y: Someone else gets it!
    By Lee Chowaniec

https://www.speakupwny.com/article_3178.shtml

They are all issues not rah rah bring out the band. That's what the events forum is for, in my opinion.

I do not have the knowledge or experience to apply for a seat on any of the boards or committees and have never professed to have that knowledge. I express my opinion as you have expressed yours.

There are posters who have stated their reasons for their opinions on different matters that have helped me to change my opinion on different issues.

Again, I will make an honest effort to be more positive in my postings. I do agree with you on the Dawson field project regarding that it's wasteful spending. I just don't know how to spin that in a positive way.

Georgia L Schlager

Gorja, why don't you throw your name in the ring for this ZBA opening? Sitting behind your computer you sure seem to think you have all the answers. Yo only create more problems and controversy. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but the biggest problem in our town are the people like you who are all talk and no action.

Kreavy withdraws request for appointment to the ZBA

Jeanne Kreavy withdrew her request for ZBA appointment submitting the following email to the Town of Lancaster:

I wish to withdraw my request for appointment to the Zoning Board. I submitted my letter with the expectation of doing some good for my Town. I have over 30 years of experience with my previous position with Erie County Department of Environment and Planning and a degree as a Para Legal. I truly thought the position was Volunteer s my previous position in the Town of Hamburg Community Development. After realizing there was a conflict with my appointment it became obvious that things were not as I believed and politics was an issue. Thank you for any future considerations as I do like living in Lancaster.

Mrs. Kreavy’s experience and qualifications are outstanding. I do not understand the application withdrawal as the conflict, politics as she states it is, has nothing to do with her. The appointed position is supposed to be posted for others to apply and receive equal and fair review.

It is not a volunteer position but comes with a small annual stipend – small as it is and certainly not the reason for taking on such a commitment.

As to the so-called political issue, come on Mrs. Kreavy this is not your first walk around the political block – your work experience tells us that. Everything is about politics.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information