Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dawson Field quandary

Dawson Field quandary

For years it has been publically stated by town officials that there is a dire need in Lancaster for more recreational/playing fields. To meet that need the town recently approved a resolution to support the acquisition of land located at 457 Lake Ave, Lancaster NY, 14086 for development as a municipal park with a focus on soccer.

On Monday, the town board by a 3-1 vote approved a resolution to provide an appraisal of the real property Dawson Field located Columbia and Olmstead Avenue (19 Columbia Avenue) within the Village of Depew in the Town of Lancaster at a cost not to exceed $1,800.00, which will be paid for from the Town’s Recreation Filing Fees Fund 37-7000-400.

Despite myriad reasons opposing the resolution presented by Council Member Ron Ruffino and the public prior to the vote, Supervisor Johanna Coleman and Council Members John Abraham and Matt Walter voted approval for performing the appraisal.

Reasons presented against Dawson Field consideration

Owned by the Depew School District and used infrequently because of its condition
    Field in terrible condition
    No onsite parking and no parking allowed on Southeast property
    Columbia and Lincoln streets already heavily trafficked
    Lancaster Recreational Park Commission against this project consideration
    Would only accommodate for one soccer field should the baseball diamond be eliminated
    Drainage issues
    Renovation costs estimated at $100,000
    Spending $1,800 to determine appraisal value for a project that is a short term solution with little relief

Reasons given for Dawson Field consideration and appraisal approval

Supervisor Johanna Coleman

Not in lieu of William/Lake town project, but a short term solution
    William/Lake project will take 10 years to complete
    Parking spaces can be created

Council Member Walter:

Although stating he is not in favor of the project, he must find how much it’s worth. If we are getting this for $1,000 he thinks it is 100% worth it. Not in favor if land cost was $100,000.

Worked it out on Photoshop and found you could get a full soccer field, a mini field and 45 parking spaces. Is it worth $1,800 to find out? I am keeping all my options open.

This resolution is for the purpose of doing a property appraisal, not for land purchase. The $1,800 is the cost of doing business.

Land could be sold after William/Lake project is completed.

Comment

Questions and comments that still need addressing:

Which side is right in stating how many fields the Dawson site can accommodate and whether 45 parking spaces can also be constructed to accommodate for visitors?

At this stage where no studies have been performed to estimate renovation costs, there has to be some estimate on what they would be. If the appraisal and/or property purchase cost was even low-balled at $20,000, but the renovation costs are exorbitant, why even bother spending $1,800 to begin with?

While the project costs will be picked up by Recreational Filing fees, who will pick up the maintenance costs for either field (Dawson or William Lake)? The Lancaster town taxpayer most likely. There currently are no fee charges for field use. Should there be or are the costs absorbed by the athletic clubs to condition the fields before use enough?

Will/should the fields be restricted for Lancaster resident and Lancaster team competition use only?

I would imagine that there is a good working relationship between the town and the schools in their providing for playing fields and other athletic activities. If not, why not? They both exist on taxpayer monies and should be servicing the community. There are rumblings that the expected synergy is just not there.

The expected dates of completion for either proposed project should be better defined. The 10 year estimate given by the supervisor for the William Lake project is overstated. Should the gap between project completion dates between both projects be a natter of a couple years, what’s the point of considering Dawson?

As Highway Superintendent Dan Amatura asked at the work session, “Are we doing this for the school or for the community?”

Whose best interests are being served here?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    For years it has been publically stated by town officials that there is a dire need in Lancaster for more recreational/playing fields. To meet that need the town recently approved a resolution to support the acquisition of land located at 457 Lake Ave, Lancaster NY, 14086 for development as a municipal park with a focus on soccer.

On Monday, the town board by a 3-1 vote approved a resolution to provide an appraisal of the real property Dawson Field located Columbia and Olmstead Avenue (19 Columbia Avenue) within the Village of Depew in the Town of Lancaster at a cost not to exceed $1,800.00, which will be paid for from the Town’s Recreation Filing Fees Fund 37-7000-400.

Despite myriad reasons opposing the resolution presented by Council Member Ron Ruffino and the public prior to the vote, Supervisor Johanna Coleman and Council Members John Abraham and Matt Walter voted approval for performing the appraisal.

Reasons presented against Dawson Field consideration

Owned by the Depew School District and used infrequently because of its condition
    Field in terrible condition
    No onsite parking and no parking allowed on Southeast property
    Columbia and Lincoln streets already heavily trafficked
    Lancaster Recreational Park Commission against this project consideration
    Would only accommodate for one soccer field should the baseball diamond be eliminated
    Drainage issues
    Renovation costs estimated at $100,000
    Spending $1,800 to determine appraisal value for a project that is a short term solution with little relief

Reasons given for Dawson Field consideration and appraisal approval

Supervisor Johanna Coleman

Not in lieu of William/Lake town project, but a short term solution
    William/Lake project will take 10 years to complete
    Parking spaces can be created

Council Member Walter:

Although stating he is not in favor of the project, he must find how much it’s worth. If we are getting this for $1,000 he thinks it is 100% worth it. Not in favor if land cost was $100,000.

Worked it out on Photoshop and found you could get a full soccer field, a mini field and 45 parking spaces. Is it worth $1,800 to find out? I am keeping all my options open.

This resolution is for the purpose of doing a property appraisal, not for land purchase. The $1,800 is the cost of doing business.

Comment

Questions and comments that still need addressing:

Which side is right in stating how many fields the Dawson site can accommodate and whether 45 parking spaces can also be constructed to accommodate for visitors?

At this stage where no studies have been performed to estimate renovation costs, there has to be some estimate on what they would be. If the appraisal and/or property purchase cost was even low-balled at $20,000, but the renovation costs are exorbitant, why even bother spending $1,800 to begin with?

While the project costs will be picked up by Recreational Filing fees, who will pick up the maintenance costs for either field (Dawson or William Lake)? The Lancaster town taxpayer most likely. There currently are no fee charges for field use. Should there be or are the costs absorbed by the athletic clubs to condition the fields before use enough?

Will/should the fields be restricted for Lancaster resident and Lancaster team competition use only?

I would imagine that there is a good working relationship between the town and the schools in their providing for playing fields and other athletic activities. If not, why not? They both exist on taxpayer monies and should be servicing the community. There are rumblings that the expected synergy is just not there.

The expected dates of completion for either proposed project should be better defined. The 10 year estimate given by the supervisor for the William Lake project is overstated. Should the gap between project completion dates between both projects be a natter of a couple years, what’s the point of considering Dawson?

As Highway Superintendent Dan Amatura asked at the work session, “Are we doing this for the school or for the community?”

Whose best interests are being served here?

How would the Dawson Field project benefit the community? Spending money for an appraisal is a total waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by DebLemaster View Post
    How would the Dawson Field project benefit the community? Spending money for an appraisal is a total waste of money.
    I noticed today that yellow ribbon surrounds the entire infield. The ribbon was apparently strung yesterday, as I did not see it there when I passed-by late Monday evening. I wonder if it is hazard tape, or, given what appears to be a wasteful spending proposal, perhaps it is crime scene tape.

Also, I noticed that the portable toilet has been removed, and a weed-laden dirt pile replaced it. If it is not dirt, perhaps it is kitty liter? So where's the box.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; July 5th, 2017 at 04:55 PM.

Councilman Ruffino also indicated that purchasing Dawson field could be a knock against us regarding any grant money towards the South Lancaster park acquisition.

Why waste $1,800 on the appraisal and possibly lose grant monies?

Georgia L Schlager

IMO, to conduct a study $$1800 to see the worth of the property is fiscally irresponsible. No matter the worth of the property, taxpayers are not going to be in favor of spending $100 thousand to renovate only to possibly sell it. And who would buy that property?

JoHanna stating it will take ten years to complete Lake, come on.....

Matt Walter just stuck his foot in a bee hive, not a good move on his part.

Perhaps my comment does not represent an informed observation, but even if the land is to be had at a bargain price, surely the cost to transform Dawson into a soccer field with a parking lot will require a substantial financial commitment.

With that in mind, I am curious about a business, or organization, that would buy any such soccer field in the future.

Chances are, the field, the parking area, and other possible field facilities, would need to be transformed in such a way as to make the land suitable for the prospective buyer's purposes. Together with the existing Columbia-Lincoln Street infrastructure and traffic issues, I am sure that such a business or organization would take the attendant preparation expenses, and those ancillary issues of infrastructure and traffic congestion, into consideration at the time of purchase, and make an offer accordingly.

Let me put it succinctly: the Town will probably take a bath on any such resale. IMHO.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; July 5th, 2017 at 08:44 PM.

This is probably a premature question, but where do the powers-that-be propose to put the parking area? That is to say, off of what street?

If the parking lot is to be located off of Lincoln Street, talk about a potential Mongolian Cluster Dance!

Parking on Lincoln is restricted to the Dawson Field side. The entrance to any proposed soccer field parking area, may severely impact that parking, limiting Lincoln Street parking far more than the existing ingress to Dawson Field.

Come on guys, just think of Southeast's annual "Candidates' Hour." Parking is always at a premium on those days. Perhaps this an attempt to suppress voter information. (Said with sarcasm.)

Moreover, I hope that there are no games scheduled between 2-6 p.m., or on evenings when Southeast/People Inc. have after-hours recreational activities. Accidents waiting to happen, IMHO.

If the parking area is planned for the area adjacent to Columbia, I would direct your attention to what I perceive to be the narrowness of the road, which has historically has been complicated Southeast-based traffic.

Given the current function of Southeast/People Inc., and the necessity to take the safety and functional needs of its participants into consideration, this entire idea does not seem to reflect clear thinking. But, what do I know?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; July 5th, 2017 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    IMO, to conduct a study $$1800 to see the worth of the property is fiscally irresponsible. No matter the worth of the property, taxpayers are not going to be in favor of spending $100 thousand to renovate only to possibly sell it. And who would buy that property?

JoHanna stating it will take ten years to complete Lake, come on.....

Matt Walter just stuck his foot in a bee hive, not a good move on his part.
    You're so right, shortie. Why blow over $100,000 to temporarily fix up a junker, when you could wait a couple years to get a bigger and better Escalade version and maybe with the help of some grant money?

Let the school district try to sell their wares to the village, not us.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    You're so right, shortie. Why blow over $100,000 to temporarily fix up a junker, when you could wait a couple years to get a bigger and better Escalade version and maybe with the help of some grant money?

Let the school district try to sell their wares to the village, not us.

It makes no sense here, you know what I have this feeling that there is more to this than meets the eye. Because it sounds so out of touch and lacks common sense, my red flags are going up. If it smells then it means something stinks here. And as always, I have my eyes on this .......

It makes no sense here, you know what I have this feeling that there is more to this than meets the eye. Because it sounds so out of touch and lacks common sense, my red flags are going up. If it smells then it means something stinks here. And as always, I have my eyes on this .......
    There is a flurry of activity at Dawson Field today. There are four-to-six workers tending to the field. It looks like they may be putting their best foot forward for the appraisal, or perhaps something else is happening. Just my thoughts and observations.

If it looks like a rat, smells like a rat, sounds like a rat, and acts like a rat, it's an Ef'n rat

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    There is a flurry of activity at Dawson Field today. There are four-to-six workers tending to the field. It looks like they may be putting their best foot forward for the appraisal, or perhaps something else is happening. Just my thoughts and observations.
    Ditto for today.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    If it looks like a rat, smells like a rat, sounds like a rat, and acts like a rat, it's an Ef'n rat

Unfortunate that Matt put himself in the middle of this. When it is said and done, he will be the one responsible for this irresponsible decision. A Johanna fall guy...

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Ditto for today.
    Interesting, considering it does not take a rocket scientist to have figured out this property that is owned by the Depew school district isn't worth what taxpayers are willing to spend.

Interesting, considering it does not take a rocket scientist to have figured out this property that is owned by the Depew school district isn't worth what taxpayers are willing to spend.
    I think that it is ridiculous that money needs to be spent on a study. Another waste of tax dollars that will prove itself....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information