Complete waste of money. $5M will cover decades of maintenance
    Over a whole complex?

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    Complete waste of money. $5M will cover decades of maintenance
    The state may have kicked in money towards that capital project

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    The state may have kicked in money towards that capital project

With the number of schools switching to artificial I'd have to think there's a cost benefit to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    With the number of schools switching to artificial I'd have to think there's a cost benefit to it.
    I'm sure the turf in Westwood's soccer field has had a cost benefit

Georgia L Schlager

Dawson Field purchase

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/14/2085755/

Interesting article which leads to some questions and comments

According to the report: "Depew schools declared it surplus, and there is concern that the land would be developed as residential homes," said Depew Mayor Jesse Nikonowicz. "My residents don't want a residential development. From a fiscal standpoint, it would be good to collect taxes on the property, but the kids need a place to play."

As a former Village of Depew resident for 21 years in the Town of Lancaster side, I well understand the value of community recreational fields. As such, I believe Dawson Field should remain a recreational site. What I have difficulty understanding is why the onus is on the town to purchase and maintain the recreational property.

The 5.4 acre property (not 6+ as mentioned in some reports) is Depew School District property, paid for with Depew taxpayer monies. The field is in the Village of Depew. Depew recently voted to not abolish its Village status declaring it can get along very well with its tax base. Yet the school district is not approaching the Village for the transfer, nor is the Village offering anything to keep the property as recreational.

According to the report: In July, the Lancaster Town Board approved hiring an appraiser for $1,400 to examine Dawson Field. But when asked what the appraised value was, Coleman and other board members declined to disclose the figure because it "could impact future contract negotiations."

Even if the property purchase price were as ridiculously low at $10,000 as stated by council member Matt Walter, I have yet to hear what the playing field(s) conversion and drainage improvement costs would amount to. I have been told at least $100,000. And where council Walter said he ran a Photoshop design and determined there could be 45 parking spaces provided for a soccer event, one only has to attend a soccer event at Westwood Park to see that amount of parking id not adequate.

According to councilman Ronald Ruffino: "We're in the process of purchasing a much larger piece of land – a 42-acre parcel – to create a soccer-lacrosse field and a walking trail in south Lancaster," said Ruffino. "By chasing Dawson Field, it impedes the progress of what we are pursuing in the south." The town applied for a grant to help it purchase the larger parcel, Ruffino added. He also stressed the need for public green space in the town's south end, the lack of parking at Dawson Field, and its $20,000 annual maintenance cost."

Mr. Ruffino is spot on in his assessment that Dawson Field purchase consideration is a waste of time and money and puts the town in a precarious position (IMO). Ruffino is off base in his $20,000 annual maintenance cost. The $20,000 would more likely be the expense to cut the grass – no consideration given to field(s) maintenance and game preps.

If the Depew mayor is insistent that the property remain recreational, IMO the ball is in his court to put in a bid from the village itself. Don't make it a town responsibility.

Georgia L Schlager

Highway Superintendent weighs in on Dawson Field

Lancaster does not need Dawson Field, says town highway chief
    By Jane Kwiatkowski RadlichThu, Aug 17, 2017

Lancaster Highway Superintendent Daniel J. Amatura on Wednesday questioned the town's possible purchase of a Depew baseball field, saying Lancaster lacks adequate soccer and lacrosse facilities.

"We have 2,800 kids in Lancaster playing soccer, and lacrosse is going crazy," said Amatura. "We need eight multipurpose fields for lacrosse and soccer. To make Dawson Field work for us we need to convert it to a full-size soccer field, and still would need to purchase more land."

Dawson Field, located in the Village of Depew, was put on the market by the Depew Union Free School District in May after voters approved building a new sports complex near the high school on Transit Road.

Amatura said he backs the purchase of a larger land parcel south of William Street, between Aurora Street and Lake Avenue, behind the Twin District Volunteer Fire Co.

Amatura’s response follows a previous Buffalo News report on the feasibility of town interest in purchasing Dawson Field:

Once 'paradise' for local teams, Depew's Dawson Field faces uncertain future

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/14/2085755/

Smart man, that Amatura. Hopefully, the other board members will see the waste in purchasing Dawson field.

If Depew wants it left as a recreational property, let them spend the bucks to purchase and maintain it, not Lancaster.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information