Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Special Events Year Round

Was Gaczewski promoting the events in the role of a town councilman or in her special events coordinator role?

If she was promoting them in the role of her town council position, wouldn't that be using her town position to fatten her own wallet?

Then, wouldn't that appear to be unethical?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Was Gaczewski promoting the events in the role of a town councilman or in her special events coordinator role?

If she was promoting them in the role of her town council position, wouldn't that be using her town position to fatten her own wallet?

What we must remember is that a reporter wrote this article Gorja. We simply do not know the exact content and context of the interview. As such, I feel that "The Bee" deserves the criticism at this point in time. Ms. Gaczewski certainly is not responsible for sloppy, if not shabby, journalism.

However, she is responsible for correcting that record. As President Kennedy once said: "An error does not become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." As I see it, silence is acquiescence. I think she needs to contact the reporter, and make clear that her comments were given in her role of a "Special Events Coordinator," and that her title of Town Councilwoman had no bearing on her observations visa v VOL "Special Events." Hopefully, "The Bee" would adjust the story accordingly, in its next edition.

IMHO, to remain silent may suggest a rather inappropriate use of her elected office.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; August 3rd, 2017 at 05:41 PM.

I, wholeheartedly agree, Mr Mark

Georgia L Schlager

I'll bet Russ Sugg smiles every morning he wakes up knowing he's involved no longer with that bunch of village idiots.

You know those folks who entrust the village attorney to be the sole interpreter of the ethics violations involving those same folks who appointed him. What a friggin' joke!!!!

Like he's going to bite the hand that's feeding him

Georgia L Schlager

I, wholeheartedly agree, Mr Mark
    Ms. Gorja, these comments are not intended to allege anything. But I do feel it appropriate to point out that in the story(s) regarding the tragic death of the security guard, and the attendant circumstances, Ms. Gaczewski was consistently referred to as "Special Events Coordinator."

Perhaps two different natures of two different stories demanded a rather curious "selective identification?" Just saying.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; August 3rd, 2017 at 06:08 PM.

I'll bet Russ Sugg smiles every morning he wakes up knowing he's involved no longer with that bunch of village idiots.

You know those folks who entrust the village attorney to be the sole interpreter of the ethics violations involving those same folks who appointed him. What a friggin' joke!!!!

Like he's going to bite the hand that's feeding him
    Russ Sugg can take pride in the fact that he has consistently stood on the side of transparency and high ethical standards: you know, "something for Russ to hang his hat on."

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    From this week's "Bee Heard:"

"The village events coordinator and village board should consider eliminating the rides and beer tent. The beer tent is nothing but trouble and has been for years. We don’t need all this in the village. Put on the fireworks and the parade, and that’s it."

BTW, the message was not left by me, or my wife, or my "little dog Fala." But, it does echo my July 6th sentiments posted on this Thread, to wit:

"However, it does not seem quite appropriate for the VOL, or "Special Events" to be associated with beer tents and beer tent-like behavior. Such an attraction is not a necessary element to the celebration of freedom, country, and family theme that the Fourth of July suggests."

Also, in keeping with the theme of this Thread, again, this week's "Bee Heard:"

"I’d like to know who planned the security for the foot race on July 4 around Depew and Lancaster. It was not planned very well, because I am now trapped in my own neighborhood. Being the caretaker of an elderly resident across town at Lancaster Towers, this is extremely inconvenient for more than one party. Something needs to be done; this was not planned well."

Perhaps before "Special Events" are expanded, some thought should be given to making the current theme park function more smoothly, or to invent a metaphor, "Before you re-invent the wheel, try Drivers' Ed."
    From this week's Bee Heard -

As a resident of the Village of Lancaster, I see we can spend and blow off fireworks worth $15,000 to $20,000 in 20 minutes plus the cost of insurance. Why can’t we spend that same amount on trees? When one is cut down, we replace it, no matter what. We need to retree the village and spend money in other places than on special events. The village is going downhill.

Georgia L Schlager

From this week's Bee Heard -

As a resident of the Village of Lancaster, I see we can spend and blow off fireworks worth $15,000 to $20,000 in 20 minutes plus the cost of insurance. Why can’t we spend that same amount on trees? When one is cut down, we replace it, no matter what. We need to retree the village and spend money in other places than on special events. The village is going downhill.
    I read that in the Bee's Heard. I also had read two weeks ago I believe, why the village board is conducting yet another study to see if they can or should be obtaining another grant to finalize/develop the village restoration project. So at the cost of the taxpayers, they are conducting another study? Just like an assessment Matt Walter is conducting to see if the project has value/worth. These studies/assessments are a waste of taxpayer money especially when the board is at odds as to what they want/plan or wish to execute.

I was at the last Thursday at the Village where various vendors were displaying their specialties. I liked the activity. For village folks, does this weekly venue have a hardship on the homeowners/businesses? Is this more costly to taxpayers because the town workers are used for cleanup, perhaps more security is needed vs business productivity? That is a question for the village residents and the village businesses. If this is a negative impact on the village, they should be vocal at the village board meeting.

Here is how I think about things, the Mayor of the Village of Lancaster should be the focal representative for the village venue/activities. Dawn is the Coordinator and her promotional aspect of her business and employment to the Village should be identified as the Events Coordinator not the Lancaster Town Councilmember. That can be construed as a "conflict of interest" mixing personal business with her public servant position where she was voted into a political seat on the board in the town (although the village and the town does need to work together). She needs to define her role as a business women/village contract employee and keep it separate from her Town of Lancaster political position. I think she might be having difficulty differentiating the three positions. But Mark you are right, the blame goes to the Bee and it is Dawn's responsibility make that clarification.

She needs to define her role as a business women/village contract employee and keep it separate from her Town of Lancaster political position.
    You are absolutely correct Shortstuff.

I think she might be having difficulty differentiating the three positions.
    "The Bee," perhaps unwittingly, is blurring the boundary lines of those "positions." However, those lines simply do not, and should not, intersect at a set point. As an elected official, it is incumbent upon Ms. Gaczewski to articulate words of clarity.

I will be waiting.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Wouldn't any sign/banner work for these events go to bid?

Or did the town board set high bid limits so that items like this don't need to be bid out?

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    I read that in the Bee's Heard. I also had read two weeks ago I believe, why the village board is conducting yet another study to see if they can or should be obtaining another grant to finalize/develop the village restoration project. So at the cost of the taxpayers, they are conducting another study? Just like an assessment Matt Walter is conducting to see if the project has value/worth. These studies/assessments are a waste of taxpayer money especially when the board is at odds as to what they want/plan or wish to execute.

I wasn't aware I was conducting a study or assessment on the downtown village business district? Can you explain where you heard this?

Matt Walter
    Lancaster Town Councilman

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Wouldn't any sign/banner work for these events go to bid?

Or did the town board set high bid limits so that items like this don't need to be bid out?
    This really isn't about her signage business. It's about her contracted salary and 25% commission from the village special events as the village of Lancaster Special Events coordinator

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    I wasn't aware I was conducting a study or assessment on the downtown village business district? Can you explain where you heard this?

Matt Walter
    Lancaster Town Councilman
    I can't speak for shortstuff but i do believe she is referring to the appraisal for Dawson field when she mentioned assessment

Georgia L Schlager

I can't speak for shortstuff but i do believe she is referring to the appraisal for Dawson field when she mentioned assessment
    I quite agree Ms. Gorja. This sentence has a one word typo:

Just like an assessment Matt Walter is conducting to see if the project has value/worth.
    Clearly, Shortstuff's earlier posts on the Dawson Field Thread presumably indicate a reference to the Dawson Field "assessment." Obviously, the comment intended to say:

Just like an assessment Matt Walter is conducting to see if A project has value/worth
    We ALL make typos, especially with this rather ridiculous SpeakUp "fifteen-minute" editing limitation.

No worries Shortsuff, the less defensively critical among us know full well what you were trying to convey.

Thumbs down

At about 5:10 this morning, I was south bound on Central heading to Broadway to hit the post office and Tops before work. I got to Pleasant Ave and waited for that long light. You know 1st the eastbound traffic and north left turners, then the westbound, then the northbound, then finally the southbound.
    I got to around the opera house and the road was blocked off.

There were no signs indicating this at Pleasant Ave but when I turned around and was facing north the signs were on the east side sidewalks facing south.

I was aggravated

When I got to Tops, there were 2 male employees sitting out having a smoke. The one said how are you doing hun.
    I said, those effin village people don't know what their doing, closing a road with no signage. The other guy said, i noticed that myself

Georgia L Schlager

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information