Thread: Town of Hamburg Comprehensive Plan Update

Town of Hamburg Comprehensive Plan Update

Reprinted from my blog...

Tonight, Amanda and I attended the Town of Hamburg's first public meeting on the update of it's Comprehensive Plan. This plan, adopted in 1997, is the long term "master plan" for the town. The plan was meant to be revisited every five to ten years, and the Hamburg Town Board initiated this review to address several issues that have come up since related to zoning, land use, waterfront, conservation, transportation, "gateways" into the community, and architectural and landscaping standards. This was an initial meeting to share information about the goals and objectives of this project and to get some initial feedback from residents and business owners to determine what they feel is important to address. Between 30-40 people showed up, which I (and the committee) felt was a pretty good turnout. I was expecting about 5 people. Including us.

The high level draft goals and objectives provided were as follows:

1. Excellent open space lands and conservation areas exist in the Town of Hamburg that should be preserved and protected.

2. The Town will encourage balanced growth to provide for a diverse living environment for its people at all income levels, that builds upon past development and creates a safe environment for the future.

3. The Town will promote the full utilization of public facilities and services through the management of future growth

4. The natural resources of the Town will be protected by respecting the development limitations of environmentally sensitive areas and preserving their integrity

5. The Town will strive to improve and integrated transportation system to provide for the movement of residents, workers, visitors, and goods in a safe and efficient manner

There were many bullets under each of those points, and when this information is posted on the Town of Hamburg's website, I'll post a link directly to it.

There were several large maps spread out in the entranceway that allowed for feedback on various topics - traffic concerns, gateway locations, and general concerns, along with current zoning and land use maps. Some statistics that were provided: Since 1970, population in Erie County has fallen from over 1,000,000 people to 930,000. The Town of Hamburg has grown from 47,000 to 56,000. The number of housing units has grown from 14,000 to 23,000. The school population, however, has fallen overall from 13,000 to 10,000 and has been steady for the past several years.

Generally speaking, the amount of land zoned commercial in the Town is relatively small. There is a relatively large amount of land zoned agricultural, however the actual usage of that land is low. Commercial development in the Town is focused along McKinley Parkway, Southwestern Boulevard, and Camp Road.

Public comments covered a wide range of topics, but the overwhelming concern is... sprawl! Many of the residents that moved to Hamburg 15-30 years ago are concerned with the fact that the rural community they moved to is falling victim to commercial development intrusion and increased traffic. Several in attendance wanted to see tighter control and clustering of zones to preserve residential zones as residential and not have proper buffering between residential and commercial zones. Amsdell Road and Southwestern Boulevard are the two hot spots where this is becoming an issue. There was also a large concern regarding the types of commercial businesses that are coming in to Hamburg (big box) and the types that the Town should strive to attract (smaller specialty stores and boutiques). The planners in attendance said this is largely due to the fact that big box retailers follow the population growth and the smaller, upscale retailers follow their target demographics, of which they tend to lean towards going to Orchard Park, which has the highest income and home values. The committee felt, however, that Hamburg could attract more of these types of businesses and were going to make it a focus.

I didn't make any comments at the meeting, but my own thoughts are that commercial development should increase in Hamburg, but primarily along the designated corridors keeping the impact to bordering residential areas minimal. Also mentioned in the meeting, and another topic I agree with, is that existing structures and areas should be redeveloped before expanding into undeveloped lands. I think Town Hall Plaza could easily be redeveloped into a more attractive, lifestyle center type development, mimicking the recent development of Orchard Acres in Orchard Park. This would help balance the big box development in the Town with a different style of retail, which would be appropriate based on the proximity to the Village of Hamburg. I also think focus needs to be kept on the waterfront. The land use maps don't show much available space along the waterfront, but I'd love to see more waterfront dining options and of course the preservation of existing recreation areas.

I'm not sure about the whole "gateway" development concept, and it wasn't really gone into during the meeting. To me, a gateway sounds like you're not yet where you want to be, just passing through. I'd rather focus on the destinations than the gateways, but there may be more to this issue that I don't understand yet. We were all encouraged to spread the word about this effort and get people thinking and talking about it. The next public meeting will be in February/March and will start to get more into specific recommendations. I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses!

nice report

Derek,

I really enjoyed your report on the meeting. I do visit your blog from time to time and certainly enjoy the content. I think we share similar views on development. I think Hamburg has room to grow, not a very popular opinion, but smart controlled growth will help our community to prosper I believe. I also think one of the biggest challenges will be filling the empty plazas and other buildings, we'll just have to get a little creative to do it. I just read something in the SUN on the FOIT's property, what are your thoughts on that situation?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Prosper into what? More spots with more empty plaza's and buildings? Thats what I never understood with developement in WNY. We are not growing by population yet they try to building stuff everywhere around here as if the area is growing.

hamburg has grown

I just read the article on Foit's. Utilization of the waterfront is actually something that I was thinking about at the master plan meeting. According to the zoning maps they had, very little of the waterfront land is available to be used as commercial. Since a lot of it is already in use as residential, I think any existing commercial space should be preserved as such. Personally, I'd rather see a restaurant open in this space instead of a yoga studio, but I'd let them open their business. At least it keeps the building in use and on the tax rolls. I'm not behind the whole "scenic overlook" idea. If you want a scenic overlook, get a pass to the Town Beach and you can sit there every day.

My thoughts expanded...

As I sat in the Comprehensive Plan meeting earlier this week, discussions touched on subjects such as what makes Hamburg unique from other Western New York towns, and how do we draw people in to bring in income from non-residents. Immediately, my thoughts turned to the waterfront. Having a waterfront is an instant advantage over landlocked towns such as East Aurora or Orchard Park. Waterfront land, even if it doesn’t have direct access to the water itself, drives up the desirability of a piece of land. With the right kind of business on that parcel, it could become a tax-generating destination.

After the meeting, I took a second look at the waterfront area on the zoning map. Unfortunately, there’s a scarcity of land zoned for commercial use, largely because most of Hamburg’s waterfront land is already in-use as residential. This makes it even more important to keep any available waterfront land appropriate for commercial use designated as such.

However, the Hamburg Town Board seems intent on tearing down the vacant former Foit’s restaurant and replacing it with a non-revenue generating scenic overlook. My question is - who benefits from an overlook? Town residents can view all the scenery they want at the Hamburg Beach, a half mile away. Except for the few people passing through to head down to the Seneca’s Irving slot shack, Route 5 doesn’t have much in the way of tourist traffic. So why would we lock up one of the last few available pieces of land with something as useless as a scenic overlook?

Now, here’s the real kicker. Someone already wants to take Foit’s and turn it into a business. The Town Board is saying “no” because they apparently have their heart set already on this overlook. Personally, I don’t think the proposed yoga studio is the best possible use of the land (I’d much rather see an upscale restaurant) but I’m certainly willing to let an eager and willing individual give this a shot. Even if the business fails, we’re left with a renovated building that would certainly be in better shape than the existing one, and a more likely possibility that another business would be willing to follow in it’s footsteps. Once the land is taken off the market, the likelihood of returning it to the tax rolls is slim.

Now, I don’t know the Barretts, who want to purchase the Foit’s property, and it’s certainly possible that even given the green light they may never get their project off the ground. But don’t they at least deserve a shot? Doesn’t the Town owe it to the taxpayers to let someone attempt to generate revenue with this isolated parcel of land before they take it off the table?

“There are major concerns here on whether or not he could really do what he is proposing,” [Hamburg Town Councilman Thomas] Quatroche said. “We are very concerned that if we step away from the project and his plan doesn’t work, what will we be left with?”

You’re left with what you have now. Nothing preventing you from creating the overlook you so desire. Nothing you can’t tear down anyways. Let these people have their shot at improving Hamburg.

Unregistered
    Has anybody heard about some plan to repair the sewers for Hamburg and the finances to do it? I talked to a friend today who said he ran the proposed numbers for the project. He said the town board announced on Monday that they were going to borrow 500k, repayment over 20 years. I was also told the interest rate would come to 8-3/4%. This is junk bond status. I was also told the lender would receive 40K a year in interest. I wasn't there so I didn't hear the conversation. Does anyone out there know anything about this? Is it true?

Thread Information