Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incumbent Democrat town council candidates

Incumbent Democrat town council candidates

Platforms from 2013 -

Ronald Ruffino Sr.

Number of years living in town: 20
    Occupation/Employer: Vice President at HSBC Bank USA
    Top campaign platform agendas:
    Using my fiscally conservative views in providing quality services at the best prices offered. I feel that I have connected with the people of this community and assisted in making this the best full service town to live in, while keeping in mind the affordability to live here. To mention a few, I am very proud of the services that are offered through our youth and senior centers.
    Biggest issues facing the town:
    Keeping our taxes at a reasonable rate while continuing to provide quality services. With all of the mandates that are levied upon us, this continues to be the most challenging issue we face. As stated before, I am in favor of the tax cap and although a loophole exists where we can override it, I’m on record stating I will never override the tax cap. I feel the solution to this issue is to step outside the box and search for alternative programs that will assist us in continuing to retain these valuable services at a reasonable tax rate. One of the things that I’m working on now is having a contract finalized with Danforth in which they conducted an energy audit of our buildings and the utilities. This energy audit will produce areas in which the town can save valuable tax dollars over a period of time by adhering to the suggested measures.
    John M. Abraham Jr.

Number of years living in town: Lifelong resident of Depew and Lancaster
    Occupation/Employer: Social Studies teacher for Lancaster Central School District
    Elected Lancaster town councilman in 2008 to fill a vacancy, and elected to full term in 2009.
    Top campaign platform agendas:

One of the issues I want to address in my second term is abandoned and foreclosed properties in Lancaster. Having these homes in a neighborhood causes property values to drop and leads to other problems with rodents and looters. I want to continue to work with Lancaster’s Code Enforcement Officers to make sure the banks who own these properties continue to maintain them so that they can eventually be sold or, if necessary, demolished.
    I also want to continue to work to find ways to provide services to the residents of Lancaster while trying to keep taxes down. One of the things that has been done since I was elected to my first term includes the opening of the Heritage Bike Trail. This trail was built using federal grants and no local tax dollars.
    I have also supported tax breaks for Cold War Veterans as well as for senior citizens.
    During my first term in office, the town of Lancaster has gotten a new public safety building built. After being discussed for the last ten years, this new facility will provide our police department and our judges with the necessary space and needs to carry out their duties.
    Biggest issues facing the town:
    One of the biggest issues facing the Town of Lancaster is infrastructure. During my first term in office, I worked with the Highway Superintendent to bond money in order to update and fix many of the bridges, roads, and culverts throughout Lancaster.
    Spending and taxes is another issue facing the town of Lancaster. Just like other municipalities, Lancaster has to find ways to provide services to its residents while trying to keep spending down. Some things that I have done to address this included updating highway equipment. Much of this equipment has been used for more than 20-30 years and by making these much-needed upgrades will save the town money in the long run on maintenance costs.

Additionally, I have supported the town moving to self-insured for town employees. This move saved taxpayers money by cutting down on some healthcare costs for town employees.
    Well, Ruffino did vote 'NO' to the resolution opening the possibility of a tax override.

Abraham, on the other hand shouldn't be taking credit for the updating of highway equipment which was essentially initiated by the highway superintendent.

Georgia L Schlager

I do admire Councilman Abraham's advocacy all along to deny the Windsor Ridge south phase II project amendment eliminating the Brunck Rd exit from the subdivision.

My vote won't be decided early this time around. For me, I've only eliminated one candidate - Dickman - so far.

Georgia L Schlager

If my hearing didn't deceive me, I believe the highway and parks department are reducing their seasonal work force this summer without sacrificing services. Kudos to Dan Amatura and Mark Lubera.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Platforms from 2013 -

Well, Ruffino did vote 'NO' to the resolution opening the possibility of a tax override.

Abraham, on the other hand shouldn't be taking credit for the updating of highway equipment which was essentially initiated by the highway superintendent.
    The accomplishments goes to Danny Amatura, simply Abraham always takes the credit. I have no issues with Abraham as a person, but his tax & spend policies are unsustainable and he looks like he runs the show. Ruffino is governing in a more fiscal fashion in the last year or so, it has been noticed.

I do have to mention that Abraham did not take the credit for the final reductions to this year's budget.
    He stated that most of the credit belonged to Supervisor Coleman and Dave Brown.

Georgia L Schlager

I do have to mention that Abraham did not take the credit for the final reductions to this year's budget.
    He stated that most of the credit belonged to Supervisor Coleman and Dave Brown.
    Actually, Dave Brown is an amazing financial wizard. I know for a fact that Dawn G. & Matt W. contributed to finding savings in that budget. It was a group effort.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Actually, Dave Brown is an amazing financial wizard. I know for a fact that Dawn G. & Matt W. contributed to finding savings in that budget. It was a group effort.
    Really? And yet when there was a dilemma on how to balance a budget where there was only $26,000 of unspent money left and still needs to fill it took a resident to point out that the town had more money in reserves than it ever had and appropriated several hundred thousand dollars less than it had in the past several years. $100,000 more was appropriated from the fund balance and the budget’s needs were filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Really? And yet when there was a dilemma on how to balance a budget where there was only $26,000 of unspent money left and still needs to fill it took a resident to point out that the town had more money in reserves than it ever had and appropriated several hundred thousand dollars less than it had in the past several years. $100,000 more was appropriated from the fund balance and the budget’s needs were filled.
    For the life of me I just cannot understand why someone who gets sooooooooooo darn into every single budget matter, and as they say "in the weeds" on nearly every issue facing the town, why you don't step up and run for the council instead of complaining when you actually could do something.

It just boggles the mind.

Originally posted by gorja:
    One of the things that has been done since I was elected to my first term includes the opening of the Heritage Bike Trail. This trail was built using federal grants and no local tax dollars.
    Just walked the Heritage trail this morning only to the 2.5 mile marker east of Pavement. Started at 6:20 done by 7:40.
    I was pleasantly surprised after all the rain that has fallen that the grass etc along the sides of the trail was trimmed.
    Saw deer, turkey, dead mouse or mole, one man walking, two bike riders and smelled a skunk. (No sighting of it)

Georgia L Schlager

Just walked the Heritage trail this morning only to the 2.5 mile marker east of Pavement. Started at 6:20 done by 7:40.
    I was pleasantly surprised after all the rain that has fallen that the grass etc along the sides of the trail was trimmed.
    Saw deer, turkey, dead mouse or mole, one man walking, two bike riders and smelled a skunk. (No sighting of it)

It's a beautiful trail. Danny and crew are doing a good job.

I stick top my position. It isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but the budget is a collective effort.

It's a beautiful trail. Danny and crew are doing a good job.
    Yep, they do

Georgia L Schlager

I stick top my position. It isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but the budget is a collective effort.
    I think maybe the point that I was attempting to make was missed. My point was that Abraham credited the positive changes to the budget to others not himself.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    For the life of me I just cannot understand why someone who gets sooooooooooo darn into every single budget matter, and as they say "in the weeds" on nearly every issue facing the town, why you don't step up and run for the council instead of complaining when you actually could do something.

It just boggles the mind.
    What boggles my mind is that for many years I was asked whether I was interested in running for a town board position when it should have become clear from the beginning that I was an unaffiliated registered voter (all my life) and never developed an affinity for either major party ideologies. No way would I ever commit to follow all ideologies and/or dedicate myself 100% to any position simply because of party affiliation.

One of my most treasured political moments came when I attended the Giza-Fudoli debate and where a well known County Legislator called me the ‘equal offender’. Unlike you, he and others get it.

If you seriously believe I only attack Town Democrats it is because Democrats, with the exception of four years, have controlled the town board since 1950. There have been many issues resulting from the way the town was poorly developed in the past – lack of primary roads, poor infrastructure practices, and wanton destruction of valuable and functional wetlands and now accompanying flooding and drainage issues. And years ago I had pointed out that matters had been no different under the Republican Greco administration.

In fact, I have stated several times in the past year that I liked the way this current board has been performing. Have you said one good thing about a Republican?

So are you saying that when I get involved in the town budget and present information to the public on how their money is being spent is a bad thing? Or when I present statistics and or data that refutes an incorrect claim, that’s it’s a bad thing to hold people accountable? Why does my involvement bother you?

I have only attended two fundraisers in my life. The last one I attended was years ago in Cheektowaga for the Democratic Party candidates running at the time.

Never again, I said. Frank Max the Cheektowaga Democratic Party Chair spoke and declared: "They may not be the best candidates but they are our candidates and we must support them at all costs."

How many times have I said on this forum: "With rare exception all politicos suck. Too often their agendas are not in the best interest of the community, but they're own career best interests." You just don't get it!

I think maybe the point that I was attempting to make was missed. My point was that Abraham credited the positive changes to the budget to others not himself.
    OK, well John Abraham added to the bottom line-he is the tax and spend policy Democrat, others tried to find ways to make those cuts. But I have nothing against him personally, his policies I do not feel governs in the best interest of the town as a whole. In some of his positions regarding infrastructure, he has come to a greater understanding since he is the liaison to the Planning Board, it has broadened his horizon and he sees the impact negatively or positively. And that is a good thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information