Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deputy Highway Superintendent

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Deputy Highway Superintendent

Why did the town just hire an inexperienced deputy highway superintendent? From what i hear the last known job this person had was working at Tops!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What are his duties? Wouldn't you at minimum in this case hire within? Is this like an assistant or someone that would step up if anything happened to the Highway Superintendent? Are they noted for being a political volunteer or family member of someone who works for the town? Was there someone in this spot before hand? Or is this a new position? WHere was the position posted for others to apply?

Gee someone getting a job he probably doesn't deserve
    What is the political world coming to

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
    Why did the town just hire an inexperienced deputy highway superintendent? From what i hear the last known job this person had was working at Tops!
    was this for cheektowaga? I thought they already had a deputy hs
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Quote Originally Posted by OneEmerald View Post
    was this for cheektowaga? I thought they already had a deputy hs
    the current deputy hw superintendent retired (kowal). whoever takes the spot now finishes out the term with the current hw superintendent (mark wegner). if the current hw superintendent doesn't get re-elected the deputy is out of a job too. no one wanted to leave their current position for a year and a half appointment with a chance of being canned so they talked some guy from Tops into this

Quote Originally Posted by SabreTooth View Post
    the current deputy hw superintendent retired (kowal). whoever takes the spot now finishes out the term with the current hw superintendent (mark wegner). if the current hw superintendent doesn't get re-elected the deputy is out of a job too. no one wanted to leave their current position for a year and a half appointment with a chance of being canned so they talked some guy from Tops into this

ahhhhhhh..... the family&friends net. running like a top a well oiled machine!
    this is a good friend of mr. wagner highway superintendent he made the appointment of his friend. he has no experience in Heavy Equipment. a guy making 77g's a year + the bennies with no experience in anything but working at tops. wake up town board

Last edited by cheekman; February 4th, 2010 at 12:18 AM.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You really have to think before your post...

I met Michael today and reviewed his resume.

Now we all know that all people fluff their resumes but this one looks pretty good. His duties will focus on the business side of the department.. He as experience with team building, business planning, process improvement, contract negotiation, project management along with inventory control.

He was a manager with 20 years of experience in procurement, merchandising, sales and marketing, develop innovative strategies utilizing business/product development, consumer behavior, distribution structure and pricing strategies to improve sales/profits and reduce costs.

He also has a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Management.

He wasn't the cart pusher at tops.

The only issue I have is I would like to see what pool of resumes were submitted for this position before he was picked. If there were no other people reviewed for this position I would say that wasn't a good business move. The person hiring this person has a responsibility to his boss. The tax payers of Cheektowaga.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    You really have to think before your post...

I met Michael today and reviewed his resume.

Now we all know that all people fluff their resumes but this one looks pretty good. His duties will focus on the business side of the department.. He as experience with team building, business planning, process improvement, contract negotiation, project management along with inventory control.

He was a manager with 20 years of experience in procurement, merchandising, sales and marketing, develop innovative strategies utilizing business/product development, consumer behavior, distribution structure and pricing strategies to improve sales/profits and reduce costs.

He also has a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Management.

He wasn't the cart pusher at tops.

The only issue I have is I would like to see what pool of resumes were submitted for this position before he was picked. If there were no other people reviewed for this position I would say that wasn't a good business move. The person hiring this person has a responsibility to his boss. The tax payers of Cheektowaga.
    I never said he was a cart pusher! I didn’t know that speak up now posts resumes of town employees. Are you now working for the town of Cheektowaga as the town personal director? What I said is he worked for tops, which is very true and has no experience in working in A HIGHWAY DEPT! Would the town of Amherst hire a guy like this? I don’t think so. What we don’t need in this town is another friend of a friend to be hired or some ones family member to be hired again and again, and the highway dept is full of them. With so many people out of work I am sure the town could of hire from the outside with road construction background. Lets make this position a Civil Service job.

“He was a manager with 20 years of experience in procurement, merchandising, sales and marketing, develop innovative strategies utilizing business/product development, consumer behavior, distribution structure and pricing strategies to improve sales/profits and reduce costs.”

I do have some very good friends that work for the town and they told me mike is a long time friend of Mr. Wagner over thirty years, and hangs out at his bar. So Mr. ‘WNY” The town now has another employee in the ranks of the family and friends network.

I read a lot of these posts and don't comment very often. I live in this Town and have for the last 16 years before that the city. I think most of our services are done very well. With respect to this position, how many people do you know of would take a job that is secure for only 18 months? From what I understand no one in the Highway Dept. wanted this position, so it went outside. Everyone complains about the F&F network. It's like that in the private sector too. Networking is all around us and we are told to make contacts in the business world because you never know when you may need them. Don't you think that in this kind of position you need someone you can trust and count on? The Deputy is your right hand person. The people had a chance to make the Highway Dept a DPW in a vote a few years ago and voted it down.

Quote Originally Posted by momofmbc View Post
    I read a lot of these posts and don't comment very often. I live in this Town and have for the last 16 years before that the city. I think most of our services are done very well. With respect to this position, how many people do you know of would take a job that is secure for only 18 months? From what I understand no one in the Highway Dept. wanted this position, so it went outside. Everyone complains about the F&F network. It's like that in the private sector too. Networking is all around us and we are told to make contacts in the business world because you never know when you may need them. Don't you think that in this kind of position you need someone you can trust and count on? The Deputy is your right hand person. The people had a chance to make the Highway Dept a DPW in a vote a few years ago and voted it down.
    i agree with you except about the dept. of public works. why would that have made it better for who is hired for the deputy highway super? if we put the hands into the town council for hiring, it would be a stronger polticial move than what wagner did. we would've had one of max's cronies in there right now.

I agree too but someone wrote that it should be a civil service position and that could only be done with a DPW. We have to give this guy a chance and who knows he might be really good at this job.

Quote Originally Posted by momofmbc View Post
    Yeah, I am completely sure that you couldn't possibly find anyone, anywhere, no how, no way that would want to have a job for eighteen months at 77,000 plus benefits per year (that's $115,500 plus bennies for a year and a half) with a chance that this could be more permanent if they were to excel at the position. Seriously, after working the job for eighteen months couldn't they then apply for the supervisor position that will be open? No, nobody would want this job!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    Yeah, I am completely sure that you couldn't possibly find anyone, anywhere, no how, no way that would want to have a job for eighteen months at 77,000 plus benefits per year (that's $115,500 plus bennies for a year and a half) with a chance that this could be more permanent if they were to excel at the position. Seriously, after working the job for eighteen months couldn't they then apply for the supervisor position that will be open? No, nobody would want this job!
    What job could he apply for it's an elected position. if the current supt loses then he is out of a job and the new supt would most likely put his own person in that position. So if a person is looking for job security this is not the job. This is an appointed position.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    momo is right. there is no chance for this job being permanent based on performance. it is strictly in the hands of politics. l

!

Hear say...all hear say...Please go right to the source and ask the guy what he did. All you need is good MANAGEMENT SKILLS and you can run most any Departments in business....

Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information