Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deputy Highway Superintendent

I read a lot of these posts and don't comment very often. I live in this Town and have for the last 16 years before that the city. I think most of our services are done very well. With respect to this position, how many people do you know of would take a job that is secure for only 18 months? From what I understand no one in the Highway Dept. wanted this position, so it went outside. Everyone complains about the F&F network. It's like that in the private sector too. Networking is all around us and we are told to make contacts in the business world because you never know when you may need them. Don't you think that in this kind of position you need someone you can trust and count on? The Deputy is your right hand person. The people had a chance to make the Highway Dept a DPW in a vote a few years ago and voted it down.

Quote Originally Posted by momofmbc View Post
    I read a lot of these posts and don't comment very often. I live in this Town and have for the last 16 years before that the city. I think most of our services are done very well. With respect to this position, how many people do you know of would take a job that is secure for only 18 months? From what I understand no one in the Highway Dept. wanted this position, so it went outside. Everyone complains about the F&F network. It's like that in the private sector too. Networking is all around us and we are told to make contacts in the business world because you never know when you may need them. Don't you think that in this kind of position you need someone you can trust and count on? The Deputy is your right hand person. The people had a chance to make the Highway Dept a DPW in a vote a few years ago and voted it down.
    i agree with you except about the dept. of public works. why would that have made it better for who is hired for the deputy highway super? if we put the hands into the town council for hiring, it would be a stronger polticial move than what wagner did. we would've had one of max's cronies in there right now.

I agree too but someone wrote that it should be a civil service position and that could only be done with a DPW. We have to give this guy a chance and who knows he might be really good at this job.

Yeah, I am completely sure that you couldn't possibly find anyone, anywhere, no how, no way that would want to have a job for eighteen months at 77,000 plus benefits per year (that's $115,500 plus bennies for a year and a half) with a chance that this could be more permanent if they were to excel at the position. Seriously, after working the job for eighteen months couldn't they then apply for the supervisor position that will be open? No, nobody would want this job!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    Yeah, I am completely sure that you couldn't possibly find anyone, anywhere, no how, no way that would want to have a job for eighteen months at 77,000 plus benefits per year (that's $115,500 plus bennies for a year and a half) with a chance that this could be more permanent if they were to excel at the position. Seriously, after working the job for eighteen months couldn't they then apply for the supervisor position that will be open? No, nobody would want this job!
    What job could he apply for it's an elected position. if the current supt loses then he is out of a job and the new supt would most likely put his own person in that position. So if a person is looking for job security this is not the job. This is an appointed position.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    momo is right. there is no chance for this job being permanent based on performance. it is strictly in the hands of politics. l

What job could he apply for it's an elected position. if the current supt loses then he is out of a job and the new supt would most likely put his own person in that position. So if a person is looking for job security this is not the job. This is an appointed position.
    You implied that the job was given to this candidate because no one else would want it. I just wanted to point out that other people might just be agreeable to take the position. Is the Superintendent an appointed position? If not then being in this position for a year and a half could give a leg up to someone who then might want to try to get the Superintendent position. It might take some people 3-5 years to make as much money as this position pays for a year and a half. Plus wouldn't this also give 1 1/2 years of time towards a county pension?

Mike

Im sure MESUE as well wouldnt have taken the pension and wouldnt have hired her own Dep. Town Clerk either would she? You are amazing ! I said this all along Wegner is doing a great job ! And the ones bitching is the ones that have somethng to lose ! Some people cant stand the fact they have an honest person in Office.

Quote Originally Posted by CheektowagaFan View Post
    Im sure MESUE as well wouldnt have taken the pension and wouldnt have hired her own Dep. Town Clerk either would she? You are amazing ! I said this all along Wegner is doing a great job ! And the ones bitching is the ones that have somethng to lose ! Some people cant stand the fact they have an honest person in Office.
    And why wouldn't she have? BTW, I have not said anything against Wegner at all. I have not complained about the present clerk either.

So why do you jump up and attack me here?

wasnt an attack ! And as for Alice........ You didnt think she wouldnt get the Clerks job did you she had MAX with her!

Quote Originally Posted by CheektowagaFan View Post
    wasnt an attack ! And as for Alice........ You didnt think she wouldnt get the Clerks job did you she had MAX with her!
    CF, wrong with Max. she was the old supervisor friend jimmy (mr. cheektowaga that now lives in elma) junk thats how she got the job. she was so far up his butt you could only see her feet you have to know your cheektowaga history.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

Youre right ! Im new to Cheektowaga

Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post
    CF, wrong with Max. she was the old supervisor friend jimmy (mr. cheektowaga that now lives in elma) junk thats how she got the job. she was so far up his butt you could only see her feet you have to know your cheektowaga history.
    and she was up dennis gabby's butt too~. but the real truth is the people of cheektowaga elected alice

Deputy Highway Sperintendent

This is the first of many posts to come for me. So many issues all in one thread. The new Deputy is laughed at when he comes to work. Thats always a moral booster. Managerial experience is not the only thing that is needed. A solid individual with construction background is what is needed. Two out of the past three Deputies had construction backgrounds. Mr. Sprada and Mr. Kowal. were two of the best this town has ever seen. They were great for the department. This guy is a mockery to the superintendent and the town. Maybe decisions for open postions of this magnitude shouldn't be made over beers at the Nickle. More to come soon.

I just found out that Mr. Wagner's new hire does not live in the town of Cheektowaga he lives in Lancaster! Was that on his resume? Will the town board make him move into the town? Or will they let him slide till the next the election of HWS?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information