Thread: Could this be Mayor Browns swan song??

Could this be Mayor Browns swan song??

https://buffalochronicle.com/2017/04...e-in-jeopardy/
    Contrary to a major push by citizens and his political opponent in the mayors race, to locate train station on East Side...Brown follows the money/influence and locates downtown.
    Could the voters in the fall derail this train??

Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    https://buffalochronicle.com/2017/04...e-in-jeopardy/
    Contrary to a major push by citizens and his political opponent in the mayors race, to locate train station on East Side...Brown follows the money/influence and locates downtown.
    Could the voters in the fall derail this train??
    My guess, most people in the city don't even know there's a train station in western NY or really give a rip about it. Somehow, I doubt the black community will vote against Erkel because of a train station no one cares about.

There is a reason the saying 'a vocal minority and silent majority' exists.

If Brown and Schroeder were in different parties I could see this as Higgins and Ryan would assist. But there is no way those two are stupid enough to go against Brown by backing Schroeder in a primary. Also, as Grump pointed out, most voters don't care or have the attention span of a goldfish.

Besides...as soon as the downtown stadium is announced Higgins and Ryan are going to look like idiots.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I wonder how many passengers use the current Amtrak stations in the area. If the stadium is built downtown would there be an uptick in train passengers game day or the day before?

WNY, I understand it's about 200 people a day. So we're going to blow $100 million on a building almost no one will use or see. Yeah, 8 days a year as many as 1000 might use it. Leftie, no matter where they build the stadium high talker Higgins and Ryan will look like idiots because they are, in fact, idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    WNY, I understand it's about 200 people a day. So we're going to blow $100 million on a building almost no one will use or see. Yeah, 8 days a year as many as 1000 might use it. Leftie, no matter where they build the stadium high talker Higgins and Ryan will look like idiots because they are, in fact, idiots.
    Agree that passenger volume is minimal at this point but I think a large part of that is due to Amtrak charging too much.

Consider that a drive from Greensboro NC to Charlotte NC is 92.4 miles and takes 90 minutes. Amtrak charges $19.50 and $30.50 for tickets and the trip takes about 1 hr, 43 min. But from Rochester NY to Buffalo NY you're looking at just 73.9 miles and 1 h 15 min yet Amtrak charges $21.00 to $40.00 for tickets and the trip takes 1 hr, 23 min. Does not make sense.

Added to this, Amtrak does not really do any sort of reasonably priced 'pass' that would, I think, be a strong selling point to many. For example, a 5 round trip pass from Rochester to Buffalo at 20% off? Would help sell tickets for Bills or Sabres games or people just wanting to have an option during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    They think this is the 1940's apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Agree that passenger volume is minimal at this point but I think a large part of that is due to Amtrak charging too much.

Consider that a drive from Greensboro NC to Charlotte NC is 92.4 miles and takes 90 minutes. Amtrak charges $19.50 and $30.50 for tickets and the trip takes about 1 hr, 43 min. But from Rochester NY to Buffalo NY you're looking at just 73.9 miles and 1 h 15 min yet Amtrak charges $21.00 to $40.00 for tickets and the trip takes 1 hr, 23 min. Does not make sense.

Added to this, Amtrak does not really do any sort of reasonably priced 'pass' that would, I think, be a strong selling point to many. For example, a 5 round trip pass from Rochester to Buffalo at 20% off? Would help sell tickets for Bills or Sabres games or people just wanting to have an option during the summer.
    Amtrak won't change its price structure because of a new train station here. When are people gonna realize that this is a backwater that no one cares about.?! As I posted previously, stop comparing growing parts of the country like the Carolinas and Southern California with dying parts of the country like western NY. The comparison simply doesn't apply if you argue that people here will do what they do elsewhere. There's no reason to because this area is a pit, pure and simple.
    Last edited by grump; April 21st, 2017 at 07:40 PM.

Thread Information