PDA

View Full Version : One Helluva Tip

joe d.
March 4th, 2008, 05:43 PM
ANYONE EAT AT THIS RESTAURANT ON KENMORE AVE.????...............AND USE A CREDIT CARD TO PAY FOR YOUR MEAL?:eek:
Buffalo, NY Reply »
|
Yes there's a lot of people who steal iin Buffalo. Even one of our leading restaurant owners just pleaded guilty to stealing $45,000 from customer credit cards at anohter restaurant he owned in another state:

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dl...

'Indigo co-owner pleads guilty to credit card fraud By ZACHARY FRANZ Tribune Staff Writer

A former co-owner of the now-defunct Indigo Lounge admitted Thursday in federal court to stealing thousands of dollars from restaurant patrons.

Kevin O'Connell, 33, flew to Great Falls from Buffalo, N.Y., where he lives, to appear on a felony charge of credit card fraud. He pleaded guilty to the charge, acknowledging that he made $44,209 in unauthorized charges to the credit card accounts of several customers. He said he saved receipts from credit card purchases made in the restaurant, and later used the card numbers on the receipts to make additional charges.

"They were done by me and solely by me, and I take full responsibility," O'Connell told U.S. Magistrate Judge Keith Strong Thursday.

O'Connell said he made the unauthorized charges to pay costs for the struggling restaurant.
"It got to this point because of financial irresponsibility, as well as financial instability," he said.

O'Connell also appeared in state district court in Cascade County on Thursday morning, where he was arraigned on a felony charge of issuing bad checks. In that case, O'Connell pleaded not guilty to writing six bad checks worth $7,672.
...'

Henry Hill
March 4th, 2008, 05:58 PM
ANYONE EAT AT THIS RESTAURANT ON KENMORE AVE.????...............AND USE A CREDIT CARD TO PAY FOR YOUR MEAL?:eek:
Buffalo, NY Reply »
|
Yes there's a lot of people who steal iin Buffalo. Even one of our leading restaurant owners just pleaded guilty to stealing $45,000 from customer credit cards at anohter restaurant he owned in another state:

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dl...

'Indigo co-owner pleads guilty to credit card fraud By ZACHARY FRANZ Tribune Staff Writer

A former co-owner of the now-defunct Indigo Lounge admitted Thursday in federal court to stealing thousands of dollars from restaurant patrons.

Kevin O'Connell, 33, flew to Great Falls from Buffalo, N.Y., where he lives, to appear on a felony charge of credit card fraud. He pleaded guilty to the charge, acknowledging that he made $44,209 in unauthorized charges to the credit card accounts of several customers. He said he saved receipts from credit card purchases made in the restaurant, and later used the card numbers on the receipts to make additional charges.

"They were done by me and solely by me, and I take full responsibility," O'Connell told U.S. Magistrate Judge Keith Strong Thursday.

O'Connell said he made the unauthorized charges to pay costs for the struggling restaurant.
"It got to this point because of financial irresponsibility, as well as financial instability," he said.

O'Connell also appeared in state district court in Cascade County on Thursday morning, where he was arraigned on a felony charge of issuing bad checks. In that case, O'Connell pleaded not guilty to writing six bad checks worth $7,672.
...'

hmmm, son of Kevin O'Connell - weatherman????

bigpoppapuff
March 4th, 2008, 05:59 PM
hmmm, son of Kevin O'Connell - weatherman????

yep....he owns what used to be the hour glass....

bigpoppapuff
March 4th, 2008, 06:02 PM
btw,joe....LINKEE NO WORKEE!!

ChaneysGotaGun
March 4th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Not to get off topic, but the O'Connell family has had it's share of hard luck. In the early 1990s' Kevin's sister, Mary Kate was brutally assaulted with a hammer in the Nottingham Terrace home of millionaire Max Jacobs (Delaware North, Sports Service). Seth Jacobs was acquitted, and the family then sued O'Connell for court costs. Note: See previous thread about dream- team lawyers, and buying your way out of criminal charges.

The credit card scam at the Indigo illustrates why it's important to never let your card out of your sight. When dining out, pay with cash. Wait staff* and hotel workers have been known to use cell phone cameras to photo your credit card, front and back. They've got until your next billing statement to max it out - usually by placing online orders and having the stuff shipped to a mail drop. Depending on your spending habits, your credit card company may never notify you about the unusual purchase of 300 Ipods. Sure, they'll cover the loss, but you will spend about 20 hours following up with banks and the FTC to clear your account.

*B4 someone jumps all over my sh**, this is not a condemnation of all hospitality and restaurant workers, most are honest and hardworking.

anyones neighbor
March 4th, 2008, 07:32 PM
ChaneysGotaGun
Being an Aerosmith fan, I absolutely love this name! (it's not quite but almost).

mesue
March 4th, 2008, 08:47 PM
try this one
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080229/NEWS01/802290316/1002/RSS

therising
March 4th, 2008, 09:07 PM
You gotta give him credit for being honest. How often do you see a statement like this:

Suppose Kevin O'Connell was the Mayor. Or County Executive.
Can you imagine the trashing he'd be taking on this board?

But, no one cares about the fat old weatherman.

FisherRd
March 4th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I used to eat at the Pasta buffet in the Adams Mark (it was awesome, but I digress)...Out of the clear blue, the pasta cook asks me if I know who Kevin O'Connel is. I did. He goes on to tell me how his son was a thief and how he was always getting bailed out by daddy. The guy mentioned that lil Kev was in to drugs and that's why he stole.
This all happened out of the blue and took all of 15 seconds before I excused myself.

BTW, this was at least 5 years ago, so obviously this O'Connell's not a first time crook.

therising
March 4th, 2008, 09:42 PM
BTW, this was at least 5 years ago, so obviously this O'Connell's not a first time crook.

Yeah, obviously.
Maybe the reason the kid fessed up is because he knew the pasta chef had his number.

FisherRd
March 4th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Yeah, obviously.
Maybe the reason the kid fessed up is because he knew the pasta chef had his number.

This pasta chef looked like he had a number too...A Prisoner #. He was a shady character.

Does anyone know if they still do the pasta bar? It wasn't too pricey, it was all you can eat, and the pasta was made to order (and the ingredients were all on display...shrimp, broccoli, sausage, mushrooms, chicken, garlic, etc).

Daisy H
March 4th, 2008, 11:16 PM
No f-ing WAY! On one hand I'm shocked about Jr., but on the other hand....nothing really shocks me anymore.

Daisy H
March 4th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Not to get off topic, but the O'Connell family has had it's share of hard luck. In the early 1990s' Kevin's sister, Mary Kate was brutally assaulted with a hammer in the Nottingham Terrace home of millionaire Max Jacobs (Delaware North, Sports Service). Seth Jacobs was acquitted, and the family then sued O'Connell for court costs. Note: See previous thread about dream- team lawyers, and buying your way out of criminal charges.

The credit card scam at the Indigo illustrates why it's important to never let your card out of your sight. When dining out, pay with cash. Wait staff* and hotel workers have been known to use cell phone cameras to photo your credit card, front and back. They've got until your next billing statement to max it out - usually by placing online orders and having the stuff shipped to a mail drop. Depending on your spending habits, your credit card company may never notify you about the unusual purchase of 300 Ipods. Sure, they'll cover the loss, but you will spend about 20 hours following up with banks and the FTC to clear your account.

*B4 someone jumps all over my sh**, this is not a condemnation of all hospitality and restaurant workers, most are honest and hardworking.

The thing with Mary Kate was very controversial. Some believe that she was paid off to keep her silence in the beginning (you may recall that she didn't do anything about it for quite some time). There are a number of other rumors that have circulated about the incident. Put it this way, as horrific as it sounds like it was, not everyone believes that Mary Kate was the helpless victim she claimed to be.

You're absolutely right about being careful about credit cards. Don't give your number out on a cell/cordless phone either and if you cut one up dispose of the pieces in separate garbage bags (now, watch, I'll be the one to have my identity stolen and my accounts drained).

Daisy H
March 4th, 2008, 11:24 PM
You gotta give him credit for being honest. .

Pun intended?

therising
March 4th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Pun intended?

No, I was serious.

So, he stole some people's credit card numbers, and used them. But, then when they say "Hey, did you steal these people's credit card number's and use them?", he said "Yeah."

A man of good character in my book. But, I'm easily impressed.

ChaneysGotaGun
March 5th, 2008, 10:52 AM
http://media.buffalonews.com/smedia/2008/03/05/06/802-bn-20080305-A001-cheffacesjailin-36502-MI0001.embedded.prod_affiliate.50.jpg

"The Kenmore chef faces a federal prison term in Montana because he stole more than $44,000 by illegally using some of his customers’ credit cards.

O’Connell, 33, is expected to receive a prison term of at least six months when he is sentenced June 2 in Great Falls, law enforcement officials in Montana confirmed Tuesday."

From the looks of those jowls, he may have been eating into his profits.

Steal $28 Million, like Christopher Alf-no jail time.

Steal $44,000, get six months.

The Criminal Injustice System. Ironic that both defendants used the same, shameless self-promoting attorney.

Photo/textcourtesy of the Buffalo News

Daisy H
March 5th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Apparently. He didn't steal YOUR credit card #!

Daisy H
March 5th, 2008, 10:53 AM
http://media.buffalonews.com/smedia/2008/03/05/06/802-bn-20080305-A001-cheffacesjailin-36502-MI0001.embedded.prod_affiliate.50.jpg

"The Kenmore chef faces a federal prison term in Montana because he stole more than $44,000 by illegally using some of his customers’ credit cards.

O’Connell, 33, is expected to receive a prison term of at least six months when he is sentenced June 2 in Great Falls, law enforcement officials in Montana confirmed Tuesday."

The Criminal Injustice System.

From the looks of those jowls, he may have been eating into his profits.

Photo/textcourtesy of the Buffalo News

He looks older than his Dad.

wheresthesun
March 5th, 2008, 11:11 AM
..and not cute, squishy, and chubby either....

speaker
March 5th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Wonderful food and very expensive.

That's where I spent the evening of the October surprise.

I feel bad for the O'Connell family but he was wrong and he must have known it when he did it. He's a big guy like his father, but iron grey curly hair. I have the impression he's not a bad guy, just immature and maybe was desperate to prove himself.

Mary Kate got a very raw deal, in my book. I never could quite accept the whole story. She was brutally beaten up while sleeping in her bed, at that time at the Jacob's home where she worked. It was Jacob's adopted son who did it. After a struggle, both legal and physical, Mary Kate has since made her life turn around for the better.

The Jacobs are wealthy and powerful brothers who put together Sports Service, who bought out from their 3rd (4th) brother the wonderful neurosurgeon, Larry Jacobs, who helped my son so much in a desperate time.

Both good and moral families.

ChaneysGotaGun
March 5th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Now there's a cold case that's worth opening. There was no murder, but she certainly suffered horrendous head and facial trauma.

Any idea what Seth Jacobs is up to? Nothing on the web links him to his family's mega-fortune (Delaware North Co.).

joe d.
March 5th, 2008, 12:26 PM

The Criminal Injustice System. Ironic that both defendants used the same, shameless self-promoting attorney.
DAD'S POCKETS ARE NOT AS DEEP AS ALF'S...JUST HOW MUCH JUSTICE CAN YOU AFFORD!:confused:

speaker
March 5th, 2008, 12:33 PM

That picture is kind of distorted. He really looks just like his dad, only dark with grey curly hair. Profile like an eagle.

mesue
March 5th, 2008, 01:41 PM

He's 33? He looks 53.

winfield31
March 5th, 2008, 01:54 PM
A "little off topic" , but you know , you could post almost any picture of a WNY politician , & just replace their names with his as per their stealing our money ?! Not just our credit cards , but your wallets , purses , land , dignity , pants , skirts , find a barrel for shelter along with a "Mapquest" direction to the nearest soup kitchen............

Nicolas II
March 5th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I wonder if WGRZ will be asking any "tough questions".....

therising
March 5th, 2008, 02:41 PM
If I looked like that at 33, I'd be an identity thief as well.

There is no way that can be the right picture.

bigpoppapuff
March 5th, 2008, 02:54 PM
If I looked like that at 33, I'd be an identity thief as well.

There is no way that can be the right picture.

sadly for junior...it is...

ChaneysGotaGun
March 5th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I wonder if WGRZ will be asking any "tough questions".....

Put him on a chair in the lame "red zone" and badger him with " probing questions" for 90 seconds, just like they try to do with politicians.

yaksplat
June 3rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
And the result:

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008806030312

A former Great Falls restaurateur was sentenced to a year in federal prison on Monday, following his guilty plea in February to credit card fraud.

Kevin O'Connell, former co-owner of the Indigo Lounge, was also ordered to pay $17,088 in restitution, according to U.S. District Judge Sam Haddon.

O'Connell traveled to Great Falls from Buffalo, N.Y., for the hearing and was apologetic and tearful in his statement to Haddon.

"I'm not here to ask for forgiveness and I'm not going to ask for your mercy, either," O'Connell said. "I stole. I can't think of a more cowardly act to do."

O'Connell and two business partners opened Indigo Lounge in the Lobby Bar building in October 2003, where O'Connell was also the chef.

In March 2005, a few credit card companies and patrons noticed that they were charged for their meals, but in many instances charged an additional $3,000 to $5,000 beyond what was owed.

In May 2005, a local businessman paid for lunch at the restaurant. Over the next month, O'Connell made nine unauthorized charges — totaling $30,000 — on the man's card.

"I want to apologize to all the people I took money from," O'Connell said. "These are the people that patronized my restaurant. I betrayed their trust by taking their money."

The total dollar amount Haddon considered in sentencing O'Connell was $44,209.

O'Connell's attorney, Herbert Greenman of Buffalo, N.Y., asked Haddon to consider placing O'Connell on six to 12 months of house arrest or community arrest, because O'Connell is now the head chef in the family-run restaurant in Buffalo. He said if O'Connell is not working at the restaurant, the business is destined to fail.

Greenman tried to explain O'Connell's actions as being someone who wanted to be successful, just as his father had been a successful businessman in Buffalo.

"He wanted to own a restaurant. He thought he could do it on his own and eventually he was inept," Greenman said.

The restaurant closed in June 2005.

He explained that O'Connell had no previous business experience and didn't seek out much assistance as he started his business. When he started to falter and couldn't pay back his loans, Greenman said his client began to steal.

"He considered failure as not an option," Greenman said. "No one is more disappointed in him than himself."

Haddon rejected Greenman's request to put O'Connell on house arrest, but did say he was impressed that prior to sentencing, he received 35 letters of support for O'Connell.

O'Connell was facing up to 10 years in prison, but because of his guilty plea and other guidelines used in the federal court system, Haddon had to decide between six months to a year in prison.

Nevertheless, Haddon said O'Connell's behavior "involved a pattern of deliberate fraud. It involved a number of people."

BlaCkROcKDan
June 3rd, 2008, 02:30 PM
There's a storm front coming to the O'Connell house
wacka wacka

Riven37
June 3rd, 2008, 07:31 PM
Why are you posting this link there is nothing too the link page can't be found.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/app...90316/1002/RSS

yaksplat
June 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Click it, don't cut and paste it

citymouse
June 3rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
True story.
I was at a the St. Patricks Day Parade in the Old First Ward. This was right around when this story broke. It was a very dark, Dank and dreary day. Kevin SR, the weatherman, was passing by.
The guy I was standing next to yelled to him "Hey Kevin Where's the SUN"
With out missing a beat O'Connell shouted over his shoulder "Home I Hope".

raoul duke
June 3rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
I used to eat at the Pasta buffet in the Adams Mark (it was awesome, but I digress)...
That was the best lunch for your money downtown (I remember it being $5.99 + beverage). Then you could go to that crappy niteclub that was next door for happy hour and they'd feed you again, for free.

raoul duke
June 3rd, 2008, 08:18 PM
True story.
I was at a the St. Patricks Day Parade in the Old First Ward. This was right around when this story broke. It was a very dark, Dank and dreary day. Kevin SR, the weatherman, was passing by.
The guy I was standing next to yelled to him "Hey Kevin Where's the SUN"
With out missing a beat O'Connell shouted over his shoulder "Home I Hope".
Who says the Irish aren't classy. . . :D

Daisy H
June 4th, 2008, 06:39 PM
"Haddon rejected Greenman's request to put O'Connell on house arrest, but did say he was impressed that prior to sentencing, he received 35 letters of support for O'Connell."

35 letters, big whoop! They were all probably from O'Connell family members.

bigpoppapuff
June 4th, 2008, 06:46 PM
That was the best lunch for your money downtown (I remember it being $5.99 + beverage). Then you could go to that crappy niteclub that was next door for happy hour and they'd feed you again, for free.

le club used to have an awesome latin night,once each month......it was lots of fun!!!

yaksplat
June 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Here's the real big issue. From the NY state Liquor Authority:

Question: If I have a felony conviction, can I work in a licensed premises?

Answer: On-premises retail licenses (taverns, restaurants, night clubs, etc.) are prohibited from knowingly employing a person convicted of a New York State translated felony or other specified offenses.

No person holding any license, other than a license to sell an alcoholic beverage for retail off-premises consumption, shall knowingly employ in connection with his business, any person who has been convicted of a felony, or any of the following offense listed in Section 102.2 of the ABC Law, who has not subsequent to such conviction received an executive pardon therefore removing any civil disabilities incurred thereby, a certificate of good conduct or other relief from disabilities provided by law, or the written approval of the State Liquor Authority permitting such employment. (See Section 102.2 - ABC Law)

There are no prohibitions against a person convicted of a New York State translated felony, or certain specified offenses to be employed on any retail premises licensed for off-premises consumption (i.e. grocery stores, drug stores, or liquor stores).

I would assume that makes him SOL from working in the restaurant business.

BlaCkROcKDan
June 5th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Stripes..."Convicted??....No never convicted.."

Save Us
June 5th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I am sure that this is not going to help his restaurant he has now on Kenmore...

Cash only!

but if people can keep re-electing the same idiots time after time..this will all be forgotten soon.

LHardy
June 5th, 2008, 09:12 AM
No, I was serious.

So, he stole some people's credit card numbers, and used them. But, then when they say "Hey, did you steal these people's credit card number's and use them?", he said "Yeah."

Impressed by crooks?
That's telling.
Some honesty, the guy gets caught and all of a sudden he's a man of good character?
You're an easy target.

Good character does not steal from their customers or knowingly write bad checks.