Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2016 Lancaster tentative (proposed) budget made public today

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    It would be nice to know the "Back pay" each will get.
    Then the yearly increase in salary and benefits for the life of this contract.

So this settlement is just the actual starting point when it comes to future costs and added yearly tax dollars needed. So what ever it is we still have a few hundred more tax funded employees to support - they too will want like increase and benefits.
    But those numbers aren't shown in the budget anywhere, at least that my old eyes can see

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Lee,

Have you heard anything about the police contract negotiations being settled and made public?

Why I ask is because on Fudoli's Facebook page, he said the police contract was settled to the tune of a $800,000 cost to the town.

Looking through the budget, I can't find where this $800,000 is. Do you think it was a typo?

Under the Personal services (salaries, holiday and benefit time sell back shift differential, etc,) there was a $156,385 increase. That's no where near $800,000.
    Of that $156,385 increase, the police salaries increase amounted to $130,701.
    .100 Lieutenants (8) 25,424
    .100 Detective Lieutenant (1) 3,234
    .100 Detectives (7) 20,153
    .100 School Resource Officer (2) 5,758
    .100 Patrol (28) 76,132

Could you tell me where Fudoli's $800,000 police fund increase is accounted for in this budget?
    It is certainly not accounted for in this budget.

I do not have Facebook account, but several others also contacted me about Fudoli’s Facebook post and how he stated $800,000 as a cost to the town for the police contract settlement. Tried to get that information today, but failed because even though there is an arbitration settlement, the arbitrator issued a gag order on publically announcing the settlement terms until it has been signed and finalized.

I agree with the comments and numbers you posted for the police budget and will add that in total budget spending only increased by $60,000. So, the $800,000 contract settlement cost to the taxpayer is quite stretch unless we consider what 4248 posted regarding the life of the contract, retro pay, and whether the contract agreement calls for the police contributing 8% to their health insurance (as the town requested – or whatever), legal fees, etc.

We don’t know the contents of the contract agreement, but if the arbiter got the police union to agree on a settlement where they do not have to contribute to their health plan, then you are looking at 45 individuals that will cost the town somewhere between $60,000 - $65,000 per year; and even that is a far cry from $800,000.

I am as confused as you are. None of this makes sense until we get information on the contract terms. Fudoli should not have posted that $800,000 number without the public having the police contract contents made public for review. It certainly opened a can of worms. Supervisor Fudoli got some splaining to do!

Maybe, Fudoli is letting the Dems add the $800,000 to the budget. So, any increase isn't on him.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Maybe, Fudoli is letting the Dems add the $800,000 to the budget. So, any increase isn't on him.
    Interesting. But as it is binding arbitration and the arbiter got one side to agree, doesn't that remove the town's say in the matter?

What amazes some people - when Buffalo Police or Fire are in arbitration the Bufnews always has their nose right in the middle of it. They print what the Cops/Fire Fighters are asking for - they just reported last week on a large companies final offer to Union members and so on.

I don't believe the arbitrator can issue a gag order - I could be wrong but this isn't a "Personal" contract issue !

When calculating the cost - start with retro pay - that will be a percentage of each employees pay for the last 3 years. Then add in the cost of yearly raises for the life of the contract. Also if no contributions to healthcare, add the yearly cost of that for the life of the contract. Then add in all the other stipends and longevity for the life of the contact. There's more but you get the picture !

Time will tell - but just judging from the Large Coleman signs on most LEO's lawns - they believe the safe bet is vote Lan Dem !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Interesting. But as it is binding arbitration and the arbiter got one side to agree, doesn't that remove the town's say in the matter?
    Just trying to make sense of why it's not shown in the budget now, especially when Fudoli mentioned both his tentative budget and the agreed upon arbitration in the same post

Georgia L Schlager

Agree!

Originally posted by 4248:
    When calculating the cost - start with retro pay - that will be a percentage of each employees pay for the last 3 years. Then add in the cost of yearly raises for the life of the contract. Also if no contributions to healthcare, add the yearly cost of that for the life of the contract. Then add in all the other stipends and longevity for the life of the contact. There's more but you get the picture !
    But 4248, the issue is the budget only shows a 4.04% increase to the police officers. There is no monies that I can find allotted for retro pay, etc. Or do you think this retro pay will paid out of the 2015 budget by finagling some other figures?

Georgia L Schlager

Until the contents of the police settlement are revealed all else is speculation.

Fudoli didn't divulge the details of the terms of the contract but did divulge the cost to the taxpayers. Was that in any way a violation of the gag order?

Georgia L Schlager

Yes, until we the taxpayers are told what they have accepted - we have no factual way to figure final/total cost to taxpayers.

We have no way of knowing what was asked of the employees or what was asked for by the employees ! That is wrong !

We aren't privy to this information - and that's wrong !

I and my friends and family enjoy seeing our Officers on the streets. They have a high level of visibility and that serves as a good deterrent . I have met some of the "Newer Officers" and personally they don't have the Good Old Boy arrogance the past officers did.

That said there should be more public information and tax payer inclusion in the whole process.

It would also be nice if they didn't have to believe Politicians control their careers - that's just wrong !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

I think as the town grows the Police Dept is becoming more autonomous as it should be. Keep the politicians out of the Police Dept.

In this week's communications, Fudoli's budget letter states, "Salary increases for members of the Police union resulting from the 2015 interest arbitration award for 2012 and 2013 are incorporated into the 2016 tentative budget"

Wasn't there any increases for 2014 and 2015?

Georgia L Schlager

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information