Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheektowagas' $50 MILLION Dollar sewer project is waiting state approval= tax hikes

Anywhere else is just as bad than here. What you should be asking who it buy military tents because this is where most people here will be living in next.

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Eye View Post
    So who is moving out of state?
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    Anywhere else is just as bad than here. What you should be asking who it buy military tents because this is where most people here will be living in next.
    Property taxes are much less in many places outside of NY state....75% less for a bigger house, with a bigger lot, worth $75k more then the house I currently rent from Erie county ( I say rent because I have no mortgage or debt)...I could keep $2400+ per year in just the property/school tax savings.

Im confused...

Im totally confused here. Our soon to be new Town Supervisor promised during her campaign to reduce taxes, and repair our infrastructure in the town! So don't worry she's gonna take care of all our worries...

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Really bad planning by the small politcal party that has controlled our town all these years.

New reassessments will negate anything the town board or Supervisor can or will do to lower taxes....it is smoke and mirrors!!!

This year my assessment went up 15% or approx. $15,000. That along with a 5.9% increase in the school tax rate...increased my school tax bill 27.8% over last years.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by cheektowaga View Post
    Im totally confused here. Our soon to be new Town Supervisor promised during her campaign to reduce taxes, and repair our infrastructure in the town! So don't worry she's gonna take care of all our worries...

Won't happen unless the entire budget is reviewed. Cuts need to be made everywhere which means no grand fathering of current employees. I do not mean cut the number of employees. I referring to the entire salary compensation package per employee.

We also need to review scheduling and the possibility of using a time clock system. Trust our employees but it is in our best interest to verify what is going on.

I'm pretty sure all operating procedures need to be reviewed like purchasing. I was told we have companies being paid for items never delivered. I don't see how that is possible because a PO would have to be signed off after delivery.

In my opinion some of the "BS" projects that we have seen in the past need to stop.

IE: Hovercraft purchase. That was just so stupid I don't know how 6 people can sit in a room and have that go to completion. How many man hours were involved in that entire purchase right down to delivering it to auction? Losing $10000's in the process..

IE: Who remembers the solar powered light project in town? I think town employees installed them. Correct me if I am wrong. All it took was an hour of thinking to realize they probably wouldn't work in our climate. Who will brush the snow off of charging panels in the winter? How will the batteries perform when it's 10 degrees out? Who came up with that idea in the first place?

IE: Solar panel purchases. Are we really saving money in the long run? Are they causing any damage to the roofs they are installed on? In dead of winter and covered with snow how are they performing? Has any of this been tracked since they have been installed? We live near Niagara Falls. Why not apply for lower cost electric for the town buildings. Every town in within a 100 mile radius should be receiving electricity lower than most areas in the USA to begin with. If we are actually saving money good. If not why did we bother with these? I'm all for science and saving money. I looked into solar panels for the business and home as a hobby. I could not justify the cost and payback

"town of cheektowaga solar panels"

I see Pat is a busy person. Go read what our town engineer does. There has to be a few people in that department. I can't see one person doing all the task on the webpage.

http://www.tocny.org/departments/engineering.aspx

The Engineering Department provides technical support and guidance to the Town Board, in its role as the manager of the Town's infrastructure. This guidance during the planning, permit and approval process for public works projects initiated by the Town, by other governmental agencies, or by private developers, ensures the orderly extension and improvement to Town owned and maintained facilities. The Department plays an important role in promoting the health, safety and general welfare of the community through its management of the Town's sanitary sewer systems, administration of storm water and flood control activities and its role in enhancing and protecting the interests of the Town in the project approval process, ensuring responsible development.

AN OVERVIEW OF ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT TASKS

Provides technical guidance and assistance to the Town Board and various Town Departments
    Oversees the operation of the Sewer Maintenance Department and the Main Pump Station. Co-ordinates sewer service with the Buffalo Sewer Authority and Erie County Sewer District No.
    Town Engineer serves on the Board of Managers for the Erie County Sewer District No. 1
    Undertakes infrastructure management activities including construction, maintenance and repair of pump stations, lift stations, sanitary sewer systems, drainage systems, bridges, waterline extensions, building improvements, etc.
    Administers contracts for professional engineering consultant services, prepares project construction cost estimates, prepares budgets and reports concerning construction activities
    Plan long range capital projects
    Implement operations and maintenance procedures to comply with State and Federal regulations and environmental mandates.
    Administer various ordinances:
    Sewer Use Ordinance - Industrial Waste Discharge Permit
    Public Improvement Permit Ordinance
    Drainage Systems Ordinance
    Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance
    Administer Public Works Projects:

Project management, contact administration, inspection, record keeping, etc. for various capital improvements projects including:

storm sewer/drainage systems, sanitary sewer/pump stations/rehabilitation, parking lot construction, highway construction/reconstruction - bridge construction rehabilitation, building construction and renovation/remodeling, highway lighting, waterline construction
    Responsible for the planning, development, budgeting and administration of storm water management and flood control activities
    Directs the maintenance of major local drainage systems, detention basins and flood plain management
    Provides inspection and supervision of erosion control, fertilization and weed control programs for major streams and flood control projects
    Provides supervision and inspection for contracted creek and ditch improvement projects
    Review commercial/industrial/residential development plans for compliance with established regulations, codes and standards
    Residential - subdivision plan review; lot grading and drainage; sanitary sewer extension; utility extensions; highway design; highway lighting systems; map covers; easements; review of legal descriptions, deeds, etc.
    Commercial/industrial site plan review; storm water pollution, storm water management and detention basin design; sanitary sewer loading; co-ordinate approvals with other regulatory agencies
    Prepare specifications for bidding of various departmental needs such as vehicles, refuse packers, pipe and construction materials, fertilization and weed control, re-roofing, sewer equipment, work uniforms, lighting supplies, street signs and many other needs as requested
    Review projects for compliance with the State Environmental Quality Review Act
    Provide for aerial and photogramatic mapping of the Tow
    Coordinate the Town's GIS mapping with the host of the mapping website
    Updates the official Town street map
    Provides technical advice to property owners on sewer and drainage related problems
    Maintains an extensive inventory of Town facilities documents and records
    Investigate and track down illicit discharges
    Manage and monitor the Town's flood control projects
    Serve as Town representative with the Western New York Storm Sewer Coalition
    Manage and monitor photovoltaic solar panels on the four Town buildings
    Assist property owners, insurance agencies and real estate agents with flood insurance inquiries
    Do we know the results of how the photocoltaic solar panels have performed? How much was spent on the panels and how much have we saved? Is any town labor used for basic maintenance on the panels? Snow removal? Do the roofs leak where they were installed? Any structural issues since they have been installed? This all needs to be taken into account. I'm just looking at it in the best interest of the property owners in our town.

One of The problem sewer districts is Cheektowaga #5...I see the Buffalo Niagara airport is in that district.

The NFTA only paid $21,460 in property tax for 2015 for 4200 Genesee St = 541 acres

There is a lot is wrong with that!
    Last edited by Electric Eye; October 7th, 2015 at 02:03 PM.

One of The problem sewer districts is Cheektowaga #5...I see the Buffalo Niagara airport is in that district.

The NFTA only paid $21,460 in property tax for 2015 for 4200 Genesee St = 541 acres

It is assessed at $220,000,000

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/legal/199...op/op99-12.htm reads.....

Opinion 99 - 12

This opinion represents the views of the Office of the State Comptroller at the time it was rendered. The opinion may no longer represent those views if, among other things, there have been subsequent court cases or statutory amendments that bear on the issues discussed in the opinion.

SEWER DISTRICTS -- Consolidation (spreading costs of debt over entire district in connection with proceeding to consolidate) -- Extension (spreading costs of debt over entire district in connection with proceeding to extend)

WATER DISTRICTS -- Consolidation (spreading costs of debt over entire district in connection with proceeding to consolidate) -- Extension (spreading costs of debt over entire district in connection with proceeding to extend)

TOWN LAW, §§206, 206-a: Subject to public hearing and permissive referendum requirements, a town, in connection with a proceeding to extend or consolidate water districts, may determine to spread the cost of all existing and future debt of the district over the entire district, including existing and future extensions. Similarly, subject to public hearing and permissive referendum requirements, a town, in connection with a proceeding to extend or consolidate sewer districts, may determine to spread the cost of all existing and future debt of the district over the entire district, including existing and future extensions.

You state that your town has a water district and two sewer districts, each of which has extensions. Pursuant to Town Law, §202(5), the debt service costs for each extension are charged only against the benefited properties within the extension. You inquire as to the procedure by which the outstanding indebtedness issued for the water district and its extensions may be charged to the entire area of the districts and extensions. Similarly, you inquire as to the procedure by which the outstanding indebtedness issued for the sewer districts and extensions may be charged to the entire area of a new consolidated sewer district.

The enactment of a 1987 State Comptroller's Program bill added section 206-a to the Town Law. This section sets forth a procedure whereby a town board may determine to spread the cost of all existing and future debt of a district over the entire district, including all existing and future extensions. The determination may be made only in connection with a proceeding to extend a district or to consolidate districts (Town Law, §206-a[1]; see State Comptroller's Report Report to the Governor on Laws of 1987, ch 781, July 31, 1987).(1)

A proceeding to extend a town improvement district or to consolidate two or more improvement districts may be initiated by a petition of the property owners or by the town board's own motion (Town Law, §§191, 206[1], 209-d; see 1995 Opns St Comp No. 95-21, p 44; 1987 Opns St Comp Nos. 87-29, p 46). Whenever the town board calls a public hearing on the proposed extension (see Town Law, §§193, 209-d) or consolidation (see Town Law, §206[1]), the town board may, in its discretion, include in the order or resolution calling such public hearing, a determination that all the expenses of the district, including all prior and future extensions, will be a charge against the entire area of the district as extended (Town Law, §206-a[1]).

After the public hearing, in addition to those determinations required for the extension or consolidation by Town Law, §§194, 206 or 209-e, the town board must determine whether it is in the public interest to assess all expenses of the district, including all prior and future extensions, as a charge against the entire area of the district as extended.(2) Any resolution which, in addition to making the determinations required by Town Law, §§194, 206 or 209-e, determines that all expenses of a district, including all prior and future extensions, will be assessed as a charge against the entire area of the district as extended, is subject to permissive referendum (Town Law, §206-a[4]).

In a proceeding to extend a district, the notice of adoption of the resolution, any petition requesting a referendum and any referendum must be as provided in Town Law, article 12-A for an extension (see Town Law, §209-e[3]), except that the notices and ballot must include the determination or determinations made pursuant to Town Law, §206-a (Town Law, §206-a[4][a],[b]).(3) If the proposition authorizing all costs of the district to be levied against the entire area of the district, including extensions, is approved at a referendum or if no petition requesting a referendum is filed, a consolidated assessment roll would be prepared for the next year in which assessments are levied against the extended district (Town Law, §206-a[5]).

In a proceeding to consolidate districts pursuant to Town Law, §206, the notice of adoption, petition and referendum must be as provided in section 206, except that the notices and ballot shall include the further determination or determinations made pursuant to section 206-a (Town Law, §206-a[4][c]). The determinations made pursuant to Town Law, §206-a would take effect at the same time as the consolidation of the districts (Town Law, §206-a[5][b]).

Accordingly, subject to public hearing and permissive referendum requirements, a town, in connection with a proceeding to extend or consolidate water districts, may determine to spread the cost of all existing and future debt of the district over the entire district, including existing and future extensions. Similarly, subject to public hearing and permissive referendum requirements, a town, in connection with a proceeding to extend or consolidate sewer districts, may determine to spread the cost of all existing and future debt of the district over the entire district, including existing and future extensions.

December 24, 1999
    Robert A. Schlansker, Esq., Deputy Town Attorney
    Town of Niskayuna

1. Although not raised by this inquiry, we note that section 206-a also sets forth procedures for changing the basis of assessment of the district from ad valorem to benefit in certain circumstances (Town Law, §206-a[2][b],[c], [3], [4]).

2. In a proceeding to extend a district on petition, the town board also must determine whether it is in the public interest to extend the district only if all expenses of the district will be assessed against the entire district as extended, or whether it is in the public interest to extend the district without regard to whether the cost of the extension will be assessed against the entire district as extended (Town Law, §206-a[3][a], [b], [4][b], [5][a]).

3. Since a proceeding to extend a district on petition is normally not subject to permissive referendum, the section 206-a determinations will be the only items stated in the notices and, if a referendum is held, the ballot (Town Law, §206-a[4][b]).

This does not answer the question of whether or not the town has the power to include a county sewer district in its consolidated district.

Can anyone tell me or locate the board minutes of when the town created this "consolidated sewer district #1"?
    Last edited by Electric Eye; October 9th, 2015 at 02:29 PM.

See page 73 for the Sewer district map dated 2008

http://www.tocny.org/Portals/0/Depar...%206-28-10.pdf

The Erie county sewer district #1 is not listed.....scratching my head now.

Did you see the whole assessed value is exempted? It says NFTA own $220,000,000 exemption

Georgia L Schlager

As for the towns Finance person at the budget....those in the Erie county sewer district 1 will NOT be billed for the for the repairs in the rest of the town.

It was stated at the budget hearing by the Finance guy that the sewer project is going to cost $55mil.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information