Thread: Plane makes evasive maneuver to avoid drone

Plane makes evasive maneuver to avoid drone

Drone disrupts traffic at Niagara Falls airport
    A plane landing at the Niagara Falls Airport was forced to take evasive action this past weekend to avoid collision with a drone, according to a Niagara County sheriff report released on Tuesday.
    The sheriff department was dispatched to investigate the report of a drone in the area of Shawnee and Slusaric road in Wheatfield at 11:11 p.m. Friday. The unidentified flying object was described as a possibly a quadcopter.
    A Niagara Falls Air Traffic Controller called 911 to report that one of the planes approaching the airport for a landing was forced to make an evasive maneuver to avoid a collision with the unidentified flying object, which was observed approximately five miles due east of the runway in the area of Errick and Nash roads.
    Deputies were asked to make future checks in the Nash Road area in an attempt to locate the suspected pilot of the drone.
    http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...rport-20150728

I'm pretty much clueless about these drones. Do people have to register or license their drones prior to purchase? Is there some way of tracking ownership in geographic areas?

It's kind of scary if one of these were to cause a plane to go down in trying to avoid them

Georgia L Schlager

They just - as anyone can - go online or multiple other local stores and put their money down. My nephew has one the size of a kids small bicycle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Four fan like propellers and a huge electric motor - it can carry a good size camera and a I forget how many pounds of what ever he wants it to.

He flys it all around his neighborhood(Clarence) - his dad takes him to Parks like Chestnut Ridge. No license - no rules just have fun.

This will get worse and more invasive !

He can fly his chopper(as he calls it) within inches of your house window and his cameras can see everything going on inside. His father doesn't let him operate it without him present - but that will change !

Anyway as far as I know - all it takes is money - that's the American way !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Your family is using it for fun away from airports. I saw the one guy's video from his drone of the November storm damage. They are cool for kids and I suppose grown-ups as well. Just like anything else, there are people who will abuse them and cause some kind of catastrophic damage. Then the gov't will step in

Georgia L Schlager

drone.... great view of the steel plant..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz2Pur8NHX0
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

Cool

The Government will "step in" sooner or later anyway - they'll have regulations and fees and more regulations and fees. That is what they do - then they smile and say, "See what we do for you" !

They'll do it to protect us - to help control those too dumb to control themselves - and besides - if they save one life - its worth what ever they charge us - Right !

Kentucky man shoots down drone hovering over his backyard

The way William Merideth sees it, it’s pretty clear-cut: a drone flying over his backyard was a well-defined invasion of privacy, analogous to a physical trespassing.

Not knowing who owned it, the Kentucky man took out his shotgun and fired three blasts of Number 8 birdshot to take the drone out.

"It was just right there," he told Ars. "It was hovering, I would never have shot it if it was flying. When he came down with a video camera right over my back deck, that's not going to work. I know they're neat little vehicles, but one of those uses shouldn’t be flying into people's yards and videotaping."

Minutes later, a car full of four men that he didn’t recognize rolled up, "looking for a fight."

"Are you the son of a b***h that shot my drone?" one said, according to Merideth.

His terse reply to the men, while wearing a 10mm Glock holstered on his hip: "If you cross that sidewalk onto my property, there’s going to be another shooting."

The men backed down, retreated to their car, and waited for the police to arrive.

"His only comment was that he hoped I had a big checkbook because his drone cost $1,800," Merideth added.

The Kentuckian was arrested Sunday evening in Hillview, Kentucky, just south of Louisville and charged with criminal mischief and wanton endangerment. He was released the following day. The Hillview Police Department did not immediately respond to Ars’ request for comment.
    A measured approach?

The report of the downed drone comes a month after Ars reported on a similar incident in Modesto, California. But in that case, the drone operator was flying his drone over his parents’ farm, and it was shot down by a neighbor.

Here, Merideth, who operates a local trucking company, said that he had seen "two or three" different drones in his backyard previously over the last year and was disturbed by their presence. "What recourse do we have?" he asked.

The 43-year-old man claimed that law enforcement officials, including the county jailer, told him privately that they agreed with his actions. "The people that own the drones and the people that hate guns are the only ones that disagree with what I did," he said. "Now, if I’d have had a .22 rifle, I should have gone to jail for that. The diameter of those things are going to come down with enough force to hurt somebody. Number 8 birdshot is not. Number 8 is the size of a pinhead. The bottom line is that it's a right to privacy issue and defending my property issue. It would have been no different had he been standing in my backyard. As Americans, we have a right to defend our rights and property."

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Kentucky man shoots down drone hovering over his backyard

The way William Merideth sees it, it’s pretty clear-cut: a drone flying over his backyard was a well-defined invasion of privacy, analogous to a physical trespassing.

Not knowing who owned it, the Kentucky man took out his shotgun and fired three blasts of Number 8 birdshot to take the drone out.

"It was just right there," he told Ars. "It was hovering, I would never have shot it if it was flying. When he came down with a video camera right over my back deck, that's not going to work. I know they're neat little vehicles, but one of those uses shouldn’t be flying into people's yards and videotaping."

Minutes later, a car full of four men that he didn’t recognize rolled up, "looking for a fight."

"Are you the son of a b***h that shot my drone?" one said, according to Merideth.

His terse reply to the men, while wearing a 10mm Glock holstered on his hip: "If you cross that sidewalk onto my property, there’s going to be another shooting."

The men backed down, retreated to their car, and waited for the police to arrive.

"His only comment was that he hoped I had a big checkbook because his drone cost $1,800," Merideth added.

The Kentuckian was arrested Sunday evening in Hillview, Kentucky, just south of Louisville and charged with criminal mischief and wanton endangerment. He was released the following day. The Hillview Police Department did not immediately respond to Ars’ request for comment.
    A measured approach?

The report of the downed drone comes a month after Ars reported on a similar incident in Modesto, California. But in that case, the drone operator was flying his drone over his parents’ farm, and it was shot down by a neighbor.

Here, Merideth, who operates a local trucking company, said that he had seen "two or three" different drones in his backyard previously over the last year and was disturbed by their presence. "What recourse do we have?" he asked.

The 43-year-old man claimed that law enforcement officials, including the county jailer, told him privately that they agreed with his actions. "The people that own the drones and the people that hate guns are the only ones that disagree with what I did," he said. "Now, if I’d have had a .22 rifle, I should have gone to jail for that. The diameter of those things are going to come down with enough force to hurt somebody. Number 8 birdshot is not. Number 8 is the size of a pinhead. The bottom line is that it's a right to privacy issue and defending my property issue. It would have been no different had he been standing in my backyard. As Americans, we have a right to defend our rights and property."
    I totally agree with what this man did

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I totally agree with what this man did
    I think he was well within his right. As he said, he shot it because it was "hovering", and wouldn't have shot it if it was flying (across his property). Why aren't people taking them out to an open area away from people's residences or airports?

Basically, anyone with the cash or credit card in his wallet can buy a drone and freely operate it pretty much anywhere. Guns and cars require licenses. Why not drones? At least some proof that the person/child operating the drone has some knowledge of how it should be safely and respectfully handled.

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    The Government will "step in" sooner or later anyway - they'll have regulations and fees and more regulations and fees. That is what they do - then they smile and say, "See what we do for you" !

They'll do it to protect us - to help control those too dumb to control themselves - and besides - if they save one life - its worth what ever they charge us - Right !
    FAA requires drones to be registered by February
    Most drone owners will have to register their unmanned aircraft by Feb. 19.

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration has introduced a streamlined and user-friendly Web-based aircraft registration process for owners of small unmanned aircraft weighing more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds, including payloads such as on-board cameras.

The Registration Task Force delivered recommendations to FAA Administrator Michael Huerta and Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx on Nov. 21. The rule incorporates many of the task force recommendations.

“Make no mistake: unmanned aircraft enthusiasts are aviators, and with that title comes a great deal of responsibility,” Foxx said. “Registration gives us an opportunity to work with these users to operate their unmanned aircraft safely. I’m excited to welcome these new aviators into the culture of safety and responsibility that defines American innovation.”

Registration is a statutory requirement that applies to all aircraft. Under this rule, any owner of a drone who has previously operated it exclusively as a model aircraft prior to Dec. 21 must register no later than Feb. 19.

Owners of any other unmanned aircraft purchased for use as a model aircraft after Dec. 21 must register before the first flight outdoors.

Owners may use either the paper-based process or the new Web-based system. Owners using the online system must be at least 13 years old to register. To register online, visit www.faa.gov/uas/registration.

Registrants will need to provide their name, home address and email address. After completing the registration process, the online application will generate a Certificate of Aircraft Registration/ Proof of Ownership that will include an identification number for the aircraft owner, which must be marked on the aircraft.

Owners using the model aircraft for hobby or recreation will only have to register once and may use the same identification number for all of their drones. The registration is valid for three years.

The normal registration fee is $5, but the FAA is waiving this fee through Jan. 20.

“We expect hundreds of thousands of model unmanned aircraft will be purchased this holiday season,” Huerta said. “Registration gives us the opportunity to educate these new airspace users before they fly so they know the airspace rules and understand they are accountable to the public for flying responsibly.”

The online registration system does not yet support registration of small unmanned aircraft used for any purpose other than hobby or recreation. The FAA is developing enhancements that will allow online registrations for drones used for business by spring 2016.
    http://www.lancasterbee.com/news/2015-12-24/Local_News/FAA_requires_drones_to_be_registered_by_February.h tml
    Last edited by gorja; December 25th, 2015 at 04:56 AM.

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information