Thread: do taxes equal services given by local government

do taxes equal services given by local government

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post

Holy crap but hell just froze over and pigs flew...

I agree with nogods.

I'm sorry but salaries/bene's can not be forever increasing based on time alone. I understand people who work for us have families and such but you get to a point that they need to realize tax payers also have families and such.
    ================================================== ==============

Saveus responded:

As a home owner in Cheektowaga I do not feel I get 5000+ (property taxes) worth of services to live in my home.
    Now compound interest the difference with what reasonable taxes would be over thirty years and see how much you could have had...
    You will be sick. People that have left NY have found they have police protection, fire service, educated kids, and sanitation. This is the reason there are gluts of unemployed education majors that have to go out of NY to find a job.

This is also the reason why Detroit, and soon Chicago will go bankrupt because of unsustainable pension and employment benefits to the public sector. Fortunately our pension system is pretty secure in NY, but look what that cost you over 20-30 years.....Was that worth it to you, the non government employee?

The problem is that there is no correlation with median family income, household savings, raises, and household net worth with the public sector pay and benefit increases, ,it's like they operate in outerspace half the time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WNY resident responded:
    Tell me about it.

Just think if you took 2500 a year off that 5000 amount.

2500 a year more into your IRA over 40 years = $100,000 not counting interest.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    We should really whine about it. It's only an extra $100,000 we are charged to live in our home compared to other communities. We should be proud that we contribute so much more to the tax base than many other communities throughout the USA.

I went to this website

http://www.daveramsey.com/article/in...g/#/entry_form

I calculated what the growth of the investment might be.

We start off with $0 dollars in our account.

We take $208 dollars a month and invest it into an IRA. The $208 is what we are basically over charged for the same services provided in other communities across the USA. We should confirm how much above average we are charged to see what that amount really is.

We do that for 40 years. 40 years is a very short time. Goes by before you know it.

If we earn an average 6% interest per year for 40 years that investment could be worth $409,463 dollars.

At least that is what that calculator displays.

When you retire you can draw from that balance over time while it's still growing.

Even if you only take $20,000 a year out you can do that for 20+ years. Supplement your SSI.

But no... That is taken away from you in the form of abnormally high property taxes in various communities throughout NYS.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Don't expect the people who created the issues the middle class deals with to correct those issues because they are the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Don't expect the people who created the issues the middle class deals with to correct those issues because they are the issue.
    Director's Law: the bulk of public programs are designed primarily to benefit the middle classes but are financed by taxes paid primarily by the upper and lower classes.

-Aaron Director

That's why taxes based on home value are a load of crap. If I want to build a $750k house would I get any more services for the $28k in taxes over someone paying $3k in taxes? Would I have a cop car sitting outside my house?

Quote Originally Posted by skoorbekim View Post
    Director's Law: the bulk of public programs are designed primarily to benefit the middle classes but are financed by taxes paid primarily by the upper and lower classes.

-Aaron Director
    That's the biggest load of BS I think I have heard in quite a while. That makes absolutely no sense. The middle class is dying.

As with the case of many who live on County Roads - we receive little to no actual services for our Town tax dollars.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    That's why taxes based on home value are a load of crap. If I want to build a $750k house would I get any more services for the $28k in taxes over someone paying $3k in taxes? Would I have a cop car sitting outside my house?
    I would really like to get a true break down where all the money goes with property taxes. PROPERTY TAXES for all intensive purposes are school/town/village combined/county. I send my check to the very same address. How ever it is broken up afterwards is their issue not mine.

I don't have a problem with school taxes but when you are paying $2500+ a year for 50+ years you are NOT getting a good return on that money. Don't give some BS about you are investing in the future because we currently see the product the various school systems are producing. Double digit failure rates, many people leaving the area after education and/or people with an education without available jobs. What type of "investment" is that?

AND we have groups of people who want to allow open borders which ends up creating more of a work load in the school system that existing property owners end up paying for.

I do not want to cover the cost of education for 1000's of kids from other countries because we are in different times compared to when our grand parents came to the USA. We did not have the dozens of welfare programs we have today compared to 90+ years ago.

I feel bad for refugees but when does that end? We have various groups that work on bringing more and more refugees into buffalo and surrounding areas. WHO is covering that cost? Educational cost? medical cost? etc?

From what I'm told we don't have enough good paying jobs locally so I'm going to assume many are on some form of assistance. Yes or no?

What about sewer maintenance fees we all pay - some people paid "sewer fees" for many, many years and had no sewers. Where did all that money go ?

All these years all those fees and monthly use charges for those services - tell me how many times the system and pipeing was upgraded ?

The only new stuff you see going in or upgrades done are to enable new subdivisions. Developers make millions - create the over loads and excessive needs - then they give the system to the local government and we pay the rest of our lives.(Taxes and fees).

A safe bet would be over the years the cost of services rise because:
    Increased cost of wages.
    Increased number of workers.
    Cost of vehicles, phones and equipment.
    Pensions, benefits and perks.

The least part of actual expenses are actual materials. Its an old issue - but - ever notice how many tax funded workers show up to do anything ?

There is no privately owned company - doing almost anything - that could afford the volumes of man power our tax funded departments use. Whether its picking up leafs - sticks - maintaining parks - sewers - they are always over manned for the job.

But then again - we all understand that Government can't be expected to run efficiently or on par with private industry standards. Its not the workers fault - its the culture and mind set of the patronage lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    Spot on!

However, what other taxation assessment system could be put in place for reform. Home value cannot be hidden at time of purchase or sale. An individual once appeared before the town board and declared taxation should be based on overall wealth. How soon do you think it would take for individuals with wealth to hide/divest it?

Homeowners know the taxation downside of purchasing $500,000 homes and generally accept the obligatory property taxes because they are sustainable for them.

Assessment complaints generally are the result of revals and when taxes have the potential to rise significantly for some and remain the same or lowered for others. Home market values increase over time from the last reval and homeowners disagree on the newly assigned property assessment, look at the comparables and declare they have screwed. And in the great majority of cases when you ask the individual who carps about his new 100% market value assessment what he or she felt his house was worth if they were to put it on the market for sale, they would give a number at or exceeding the new assessment market value.

And many of the individuals who question whether taxes equal services given by local governments have never attended a town board public hearing on the budget to learn where their tax money is going and/or to voice opposition. Nor when they feel aggrieved that their assessment is too high will they ever spend the time, money or effort to do the research and provide documentation to challenge their assessment.

You say you don’t like the high taxes we pay for the services received, review the budget and see how your money is being spent. Discover how Lancaster spends your money – generous town employee wages, benefits and perks.

13 consecutive budget increases under the past Democratic Party regime. Three consecutive budget cuts under present Republican Supervisor Dino Fudoli and no union contract settlement with town in the last 3+ years until town employees start contributing to their health care plan; a $19,300 plan that includes dental and vision.

Thread Information