Thread: Religious Intorance in the Workplace

Religious Intorance in the Workplace

by Alberta Parish

Anyone’s personal opinions and disagreements regarding scriptural texts rewritten and/or revised in another’s work of creation should never be the motivation behind terminating an employee, and subsequently, infringing upon his right to earn livable wages to support himself and family. Most employers promote diversity, and encourage workers to report all incidences of discrimination. Within a diversified work environment, there will always be certain individuals who will have a personal problem with another’s cultural practices, ideas and values. Read more...

www.thebuffalobullet.com

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I don't want to read the article.

"Religious Intorance in the Workplace"

Pointblank. Give me examples of what you consider "Religious Intorance in the Workplace "

Recently, a Georgia worker was unfairly terminated from his employment, because he wrote a religious book and distributed it among his coworkers. When I first heard this story, it reminded me of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution wherein the freedom of speech, of the press, and of religion are documented guaranteed rights to those living under its jurisdiction. In this case, all U.S. citizens have the right to freely practice their religious beliefs, and exercise free speech and free press associated with their faith, so long as it does not violate the universal rights of others.
    In other words, the godiot was proselytizing. He wasn't practicing his religion, but rather he was distributing a book about his religion to fellow workers.

Second, the constitution protects freedom of speech from inhibition by government - it does not apply to private employers.

How does someone set out to write an article about those rights and not know that basic premise of the Constitution? From that sentence on the author has lost all credibility.

Did you know you could be fired for not removing a political sticker from your car — or even having a beer after work? Lewis Maltby says it's more than possible — it's happened. His new book, Can They Do That? explores rights in the workplace.

As he tells NPR's Ari Shapiro, "Freedom of speech is protected by the First Amendment — but only where the government is concerned.

"What most Americans generally don't know is that the Constitution doesn't apply to private corporations at all."
    Can Bosses Do That? As It Turns Out, Yes They Can

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I don't want to read the article.

"Religious Intorance in the Workplace"

Pointblank. Give me examples of what you consider "Religious Intorance in the Workplace "
    @WNYresident I don't debate or discuss with anyone an article I post if they openly admit they didn't or won't read it.

@nogods The "Can Bosses Do That" article is interesting and scary. I don't recall any boss taking issue with me or another employee over religion... wait, I'm lying, I remember back in the '80's a boss of a fish company (Trautwein) forbidding an employee from taking time off to attend a Jehovah's Witness convention simply because he didn't like them. This went back and forth for weeks. Finally the guy went anyway and the boss couldn't do a damn thing because 1-it was his vacation time. 2-he had union protection.

Back in '08 some bosses were really bugging over the Obama election. I got into it with my redneck trucking company boss because he suspected I was going to vote for Obama. lol. A brainless idiot name "Moe." He went on about Obama being a communist, blah blah, blah. My wife had it worse, her boss sent a letter to all black employees threatening them with firing if they vote for Obama. I asked her for a copy of it so I could show it to one of my news-anchor friends but she lost it and couldn't find a copy at work. Eventually they all still voted.

I understand where companies don't feel as liable to the Constitution as government does, any hints of pushing literature at the jobsite may breach common sense to a degree. Especially if it's something written by you. Alberta felt strongly about it because it's an ongoing case she has been telling me about that's been building up for the past year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by pointblank View Post
    I understand where companies don't feel as liable to the Constitution as government does
    It has nothing to do with "feeling" - BY THE TERMS OF THE CONSTITUTION the 1st amendment prohibitions only apply to government not private businesses. That was a rather basic principal of our founders. You should not be writing anythiong about constitutional rights if you don't have a grasp on that basic principle.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank View Post
    @WNYresident I don't debate or discuss with anyone an article I post if they openly admit they didn't or won't read it.
    I didn't ask you to debate it. I asked you "Give me examples of what you consider "Religious Intorance in the Workplace ""

Thread Information