Thread: Rethinking the surprise homecoming

Rethinking the surprise homecoming

I don't think it is possible to watch a local or national news show without seeing a new tear jerking "surprise" homecoming of one of our brave men or women.

But after reading an article about one such surprise return, I wonder if perhaps they are not all the best for the family.

Both adults and children find a great deal of enjoyment through anticipation of an event. Christmas day and birthdays would be much less enjoyable if the anticipation period was eliminated and those days just randomly happen. We get a great deal of enjoyment from anticipating a vacation, a birth, a wedding, and just about any other joyous event, including the return home of a loved one who has been away.

When a soldier returns home by surprise, his or her family is deprived of the enjoyment and thrills of life that anticipation of a known return date would have offered.

Sadly, the decision to use a surprise return may be driven more by Youtube than by anything else. I wonder how many surprise returns would occur if video cameras were not present. And I wonder if all involved in these intimate family events would be best enjoyed to their fullest and in private.

A Military Parent’s Homecoming Should Not Be a Surprise

Good points. It seems rather exploitive to me, and I have to wonder if the people/organizations that are doing these "surprise homecomings" are really in it for their own agendas. This is particularly an issue with the many veterans who have returned from Iran, Afghanistan and other deployments with serious physical and psychological issues and are left to make their way with little help after the cameras stop filming.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Lets see...grown men and women who have fought for their country decide they want to surprise loved ones and a couple of you boobs don't like their choice. So what?

How many of you ar veterans? Oh....

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    Lets see...grown men and women who have fought for their country decide they want to surprise loved ones and a couple of you boobs don't like their choice. So what?

How many of you ar veterans? Oh....
    Oh right...i forgot that just because a person is a vet they can't make less than preferable choices in their personal lives.

Like giving a firearm to mentally unstable fellow vet, the nerve of some boobs suggesting that playing psychologist with a firearm is a bad idea because they don't like the vets choice.

For evey one that comes home with grandeur, how many come home humbly? Who really cares how they do it as long as they make it home. If the family doesn't want the suprise they can tell their service member before they leave. This thread is pretty stupid, but once again Nogods knows whats best for everyone.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Oh right...i forgot that just because a person is a vet they can't make less than preferable choices in their personal lives.

Like giving a firearm to mentally unstable fellow vet, the nerve of some boobs suggesting that playing psychologist with a firearm is a bad idea because they don't like the vets choice.

Once again, grampa diapers doesn't know when to stay silent...

Hey stoopid, try and stay on point for once in your life. We're talking about an adults choice to surprise his or her friends and family. It's a personal choice they've made. What you consider "ideal" is moot, like most of your blather on this site.
    Now sure, we all want to criticize your mother for not aborting you, but that was her choice, not ours, unfortunately. You're a sad sack.

Thread Information