Thread: Using xmas for politics

Using xmas for politics

As if it has never been done before...lol...as long as there have been politicians there have been people using xmas for political gain.

Two recent inane "outrage" complaints involve use of the NRA to support gun rights and an ad to promote a gun shop. The complainers should look to all the other uses of Santa to sell everything from beer to feminine hygiene products.

But on the other side, I wonder how loud the NRA and that gun shop owner would cry if people used Jesus to promote gun control. I'm betting that all of a sudden using an imaginary flying being would be objectionable.

If Jesus had AR-15 he wouldn't have been crucified

Ummm, Buffy, nogods isn't "using" Christmas at all. He is pointing out how the NRA uses it, and he's given a couple of examples.

And he's raised a legitimate question about images used in political advertisement. You don't like the image because it hits too close to the truth -- that the very same politicians who are the most ardent supporters of the gun lobby also portray themselves as the most devout Christians, thereby linking weapons invented only to kill people with Jesus Christ. The image offends you because you can't pretend it isn't true.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Real Christians don'r celebrate Christmas.

How did the first settlers celebrate Christmas? They didn't. The Pilgrims who came to America in 1620 were strict Puritans, with firm views on religious holidays such as Christmas and Easter. Scripture did not name any holiday except the Sabbath, they argued, and the very concept of "holy days" implied that some days were not holy. "They for whom all days are holy can have no holiday," was a common Puritan maxim. Puritans were particularly contemptuous of Christmas, nicknaming it "Foolstide" and banning their flock from any celebration of it throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. On the first Dec. 25 the settlers spent in Plymouth Colony, they worked in the fields as they would on any other day. The next year, a group of non-Puritan workmen caught celebrating Christmas with a game of "stoole-ball" — an early precursor of baseball — were punished by Gov. William Bradford. "My conscience cannot let you play while everybody else is out working," he told them.
    Puritans in the English Parliament eliminated Christmas as a national holiday in 1645, amid widespread anti-Christmas sentiment. Settlers in New England went even further, outlawing Christmas celebrations entirely in 1659. Anyone caught shirking their work duties or feasting was forced to pay a significant penalty of five shillings.
    The first 'War on Christmas'

I love how the party boy(NG) followed the Party line and threw in the NRA - yet none of the ads were from the NRA.

I support even his right to own a firearm/gun whatever ! I also support any buisness owner who wants to garner national attention to promote his buisness.

Any law abiding citizen should be free to own a firearm as long as the rules are followed. The anti gun fruits should just not own one and shut up. We arent forceing you to won one!

Christmas is more of a yearly money maker than for any other reason. People have lost the true spirit of most holidays - why should Christmas be any different - this is America .
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    I love how the party boy(NG) followed the Party line and threw in the NRA - yet none of the ads were from the NRA.
    here ya go:

Your first post contained no NRA ads - yet I also see no problem with these last ones - Jesus isn't in them nor is Santa - no different then any other ordinary business.

As usual - apples and oranges. Actually, I think the NRA ones are quite nice !

I agree: " It is what it is and it's better than no birthday observation at all"

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Your first post contained no NRA ads - yet I also see no problem with these last ones - Jesus isn't in them nor is Santa - no different then any other ordinary business.

As usual - apples and oranges. Actually, I think the NRA ones are quite nice !
    Ah...what do you think the significance of the star is? Ya think it represents the star of Muhammad" Ya think the stockings are hung for Budha?

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Real Christians don'r celebrate Christmas.

The first 'War on Christmas'
    Tell me, what's it like to know EVERYTHING Nogods?
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Quote Originally Posted by NY The Vampire State View Post
    Tell me, what's it like to know EVERYTHING Nogods?
    It beats the crap out of knowing next to NOTHING about most things and being proud of that ignorance...
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    It beats the crap out of knowing next to NOTHING about most things and being proud of that ignorance...
    Thanks Linda. Hope you and your family have a nice Christmas!
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Thread Information