Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Depew residents have been requesting additional tax relief

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The bigger the government, the more costly the administration and the less responsive it is to residents.
    Where is the response? What response?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Where is the response? What response?
    have you ever worked through an elected government official to try to address a specific problem (other than general complaints like too much taxes or money being wasted)?

My experiences have been that the smaller the government unit, the more responsive the representative is to the people represented.

I think your problem is that your "vision" of Cheektowaga is in the minority, and you take "no, we won't do that because the majority elected me to do it a different way" as a failure of government when in fact it is exactly how government is supposed to work.

If you can't get your candidate elected through the normal process, then you want to impose all sorts of restrictions on who people can vote for to try give your otherwise rejected candidates a better chance at winning.

You could learn a lot from reading and contemplating Mellisa's message to her supporters after the election.

"So and so's brother and sister and cousins all work for the town" is a BS complaint. It makes no difference who is or is not employed by the town. The services and programs are going to be the same because of the majority of voters want those services and programs. Spend your time and resources trying to convince the majority of voters to have programs and services to your liking instead of attacking people because of a blood relationship or membership in a political party.

Ted had a fair opportunity to convince the majority of voters that his way was the better way, and even I voted for him, but he lost, not because anyone's relative is employed by the town, but because the majority of eligible voters weren't convinced that his way was the better way.

Question If we see it your way - will we see change ?

I have and many others I know have - but we live in the wrong part of Town - we aren't Democrats. Perfect example - our area floods - it was and is caused because of development - they moved the creek to facilitate building/land use.(Fact - 1954)

Nothing has been done to help us - because we aren't "Worth the money" said past Town Supervisor B.Giza and Councilman D.Stempniak(many times in public).

Yet when a relative of one of the Board Members moved in one block up hill - they complained their yard was "wet" - so guess what - the Town had employees clear their ditch's and even install drain tile on their property. Guess who's family that's was.

Our (north end) ditch's on Stony Road haven't been touched in 28 years - they are 80% blocked - culvert boxes are filled with mud. The Town just ignores us - because we aren't related to Board Members and we are mostly NonDems.

Nogods states: "no, we won't do that because the majority elected me to do it a different way" as a failure of government when in fact it is exactly how government is supposed to work"

I guess if you are a "member" of that group you see it that way -

There is "Political Discrimination" - their is "Insider preferential treatment" - there is even "Justice according to association" - you should know because your a part of that "Winner take all system"

Because one Party Controls tax funded services, tax fund administration, tax funded Law Enforcement - that in it self tips the scales. Whether its planned or just a result of some sort of unity/entitlement - its real and factual.

Nogods keeps saying its because "Your guys didn't win" - "Your mad because our guys are the majority" - that proves the point.

Its supposed to be "Our Government - Our services - Our tax funded employees" - but he and his friends see it as "Theirs" - he cant help but expose that mindset - even when he's denying it exists.

Even if all Non-Dems said - OK fine they won - would they stop feeding insiders - would they stop the patronage - would they treat the rest of us as equals ?

When their committee person answers the phone at the Parks Office and you ask for help/assistance/shelter reservations - yet that person knows, "their not one of us - they supported the other guy" - so you don't get the consideration on a equal basis - your address/issue/concern is lost in the shuffle.

Would all that stop and magically become equal and nonbiased - no because "Our people come first" - that's the mantra of the Controlling Party.

Yet "we" get to pay the same taxes.

If we stop exposing the tax funded patronage - if we stop exposing the log rolling of tax funded contracts - if we stop complaining of wetlands destruction - if we stop exposing the Politicians who profit from their actions as Elected Officials - will it all stop - ?
    Last edited by 4248; November 18th, 2014 at 01:48 PM.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by GiveMeABreak View Post
    Let's take a ride in the way-back machine! I remember when former village board members attempted to tackle this issue. The mayor at the time spoke to the two town supervisors - Greco and Gabryszak. Neither was willing to consider the request. Part of the issue stems from a law re: the way towns are allowed to tax village residents (I'll have to see if I can find the exact citation. Old age has made me forget specifics). A single word in the law allows each to tax village residents the way they do. Instead of saying the town SHALL give relief for services not provided, the wording reads that the town MAY provide relief for such services not provided. Meaning, it is up to the discretion of the respective towns . Since the supervisors weren't willing to give greater relief, the only way to make things equitable was to lobby to have the wording of the law changed. One board member even flew to Albany to attend a conference where board members from other areas and state legislators were present and argued the point that it was unfair to village residents to pay for things they didn't receive. It fell on bipartisan deaf ears.

Here's the kicker. After returning from Albany, the entire village board took it one step farther and held a press conference to draw attention to the problem. At that press conference several of the members of the current administration attended. The current mayor (then a policeman), the current community development director (also a police officer at the time), the former chair of the Action Party (a local developer) and many Action Party members mocked the board for trying to get the law changed.

Tell me, why is it ok NOW for the current administration to take up the cause of tax relief from the towns when they mocked a past administration for going that extra mile to help village residents? Does it have anything to do with an upcoming March 2015 election? Had they taken it seriously all those years ago village residents would have had more money in their wallets way back when.
    Good post. But wasn't Supervisor Greco more responsive to the plea of the Village of Depew and cut the Village some slack on the Lancaster side?

Wasn't Gabryszak a Village of Depew Trustee at one time? If so, it proves he was nothing more than self-serving at that time and why some of us never had any use for this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Good post. But wasn't Supervisor Greco more responsive to the plea of the Village of Depew and cut the Village some slack on the Lancaster side?

Wasn't Gabryszak a Village of Depew Trustee at one time? If so, it proves he was nothing more than self-serving at that time and why some of us never had any use for this guy.
    Greco was more responsive for one year only. After that, it was business as usual. Gabby was once a Village Trustee then a Chtg Councilman then Supervisor. I was told that the meeting btwn him and the Village was heated.

As long as the wording of the law remains as is there will be no further relief from the towns. I just find it hypocritical that the idea of past village board members was once considered a joke but is now embraced by the current board and the reconstituted Action Party? Did a local developer give his stamp of approval this time around after his fellow party members (Action and the now renamed cast of characters) burned through $1.2M held in surplus? The surplus was held for such things as fire truck replacement, unforeseen emergencies, DPW equipment repair and replacement. I know folks don't like holding taxpayer $$$ in surplus. Holding it RESPONSIBLY for emergencies and contingency keeps the village from bonding us into so much debt that future residents will never be able to dig out.

I've read a lot of posts on this site and find a lot of them seem to be pretty partisan. I get that politicians don't address the needs of those they represent. Just remember, you get what you vote for. In the village people got sick of the same old and elected developer backed candidates with no idea of how to run local government. The only reason this party even formed was because this developer and his father couldn't get what they wanted. Retaliation brought you the Action Party and its current clone. Be careful what you ask for, you might get more than you bargained for. Just sayin'......

Quote Originally Posted by GiveMeABreak View Post
    In the village people got sick of the same old and elected developer backed candidates with no idea of how to run local government.
    How many votes does the developer get? I'm guessing one, just like everyone else.

When the majority of eligible voters in the Village are sick of the same old candidates, they'll vote for other candidates.

Go after the elected candidates if you think they are not doing their jobs in your opinion, but stop blaming the problem on the election. They were elected by a majority of your fellow citizens, one vote at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    How many votes does the developer get? I'm guessing one, just like everyone else.

When the majority of eligible voters in the Village are sick of the same old candidates, they'll vote for other candidates.

Go after the elected candidates if you think they are not doing their jobs in your opinion, but stop blaming the problem on the election. They were elected by a majority of your fellow citizens, one vote at a time.
    One vote for the developer, and one vote for each of the folks he promised something to. All I was saying was that voters need to be informed of the issues and who is the best candidate for the position.

Oh yeah, and be sure to follow your own advice as you sit there bitching about and defaming the members of the town boards YOU don't like. I seem to remember more than a few posts about this same developer, the candidates he's backed, and elections that didn't go the way YOU wanted.

Givemeabreack - your observations are valid and accurate - as witnessed by many - many residents.

Lancaster, Cheektowaga and Depew have been greatly/politically/financially influenced by a certain developer - his money - his patronage ability - and party endorsement deals and Party (Parties) control.

Its easy for some to deny/ignore the influence when it suits their Party needs -

This developer has actually created "Parties" - controls Party Committees and controlled patronage assignments and at times actually collected tax funded pay checks himself.

Nogods in particular loves to pretend no one has more than one vote - he takes a grain of truth to blanket a issues. That's a lawyer trick - he hides facts by sighting rules that if were enforced - would factually not allow these abuses to take place. The system is bought and sold - votes are bought and sold -

Politician's are for the most part "Rented assets of the Party"

That's what has to change -

Here's some truth:

The late Depew Action Party was unimpressed by the then-current Depew Mayor's feeble election-year stunt of seeking headlines about changing that law. He really did next to nothing except write a few letters and attend a few Town meetings and whine. Upon winning the elections, the DAP made tremendous efforts on this issue; however, the law does dictate the decision to reimburse a village for providing its own services is entirely up to the affected town(s). Regrettably, there are far more towns than villages and, not surprisingly, they have no interest in seeing the law changed.

During the Greco/Gabryszak era, both supervisors were sympathetic to the village of Depew and welcomed suggestions for merging and/or swapping services to help cover the gap and both increased the reimbursement funds to the Village significantly; more than any prior Village Board could claim. This was a contributing factor to the Village of Depew being able to enact MULTIPLE TAX DECREASE budgets. While some of the service consolidations occurred many did not. The Depew Action Party could not devote enough time to complete these goals as they were continually busy defending their elected officials at board meetings, in news papers and at election time. Ironically, these distractions were often from persons or groups purporting to be seeking the same tax decrease goals. Some of the goals are still attainable but sadly some are lost forever.

The over-burden of government on residents and businesses is not likely to change significantly in NY, especially now with the teacher's union actively back in the game. I would support this powerful union if they would campaign for consolidated school districts and efficiency in operations.

I suppose if the many like-minded persons would work together instead of worrying about getting favors or positions, we could have a shot at real changes. As for myself, I will continue the fight to lower taxes despite any detractors comments or actions. I will continue to rally and support those sincerely interested in the same goals.

I hope some of you will stand and actively join the cause.

you read J.C's truth - want some facts ?

So actualy the "Village of Depew being able to enact MULTIPLE TAX DECREASE budgets" was accomplished by voodoo book keeping - they were being subsidizes with tax dollars from Lancaster.

You know every time you speak you chew more shoe leather - for a guy who claims to be a "Unconnected - non political and never in control of any Party Committee - you sure know all the inside stories and claim to know the true inner workings of so much !

Thats amazing how one guy could be so involved - has spent so much - influenced so many and now: Joe Cippola stated "As for myself, I will continue the fight to lower taxes despite any detractors comments or actions. I will continue to rally and support those sincerely interested in the same goals.I hope some of you will stand and actively join the cause" -

I guess you just cant help your self - you have had your fingers in so many places for over 27 years that I know of -

Yet you claim your just misunderstood developer - you encourage and have dealt patronage - you financially supported every member of Lancaster Town Board and their Dem Committee. You stood next to Supervisor Giza to insure his Conservative Party Endorsement - who are you kidding ?

You have backed and supported many of those Politicians who according to your own words :"The Depew Action Party could not devote enough time to complete these goals as they were continually busy defending their elected officials at board meetings, in news papers and at election time" - including the deal you made for B.M. -

Your not a misunderstood developer - your a developer who steam rolls others using Political Connections and money and not above using other means if you so deem necessary.

But one thing I have to say - you do have a incredible ego ! Enjoy your turkey - spend more time with your family !

Don't you have enough yet ?

PS - Thanks for all your input on behalf of the Veteran who lives near Kentucky Fried Chicken - hows that mitigation plan coming ?
    Last edited by 4248; November 27th, 2014 at 02:01 AM.

said it for a number of years the village has to go... Knowing many cops from cpd over the years the plan was to split depew pd from transit Lancaster taking the east side of transit and cpd west of transit. the problem was both agencies did not want the depew cops because of costs and how these cops would of fit in on payroll and seniority rolls. Cheek highway could take Depew no problem with the equipment they have don't know about who would lead the operation at this time if it would happen. The biggest complaint I hear from Depew taxpayers is their DPW.. Only worries about the village and not the outer area of Depew. That's has been going on for years, during the storm clean up the village had the snow blower working on streets, of course.. Depew packers tell me north side of Walden going towards Geo urban some of the hardest hit streets you had no blower for clean up not even a high lift was seen in this area... but in the village they were there.. it needs to be dissolved.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

During the Greco/Gabryszak era, both supervisors were sympathetic to the village of Depew and welcomed suggestions for merging and/or swapping services to help cover the gap and both increased the reimbursement funds to the Village significantly; more than any prior Village Board could claim. This was a contributing factor to the Village of Depew being able to enact MULTIPLE TAX DECREASE budgets.

Correction to the aforementioned: Both towns may have increased the reimbursement funds to the Village, but not enough to help create the "MULTIPLE TAX DECREASE budget" you cite. That was actually accomplished by burning through fund balances left in the budget by the previous administration. THAT'S how you enacted your multiple tax-decrease budgets! Now, I know, you'll be jumping up and down, waving your yellow Action Party sign, shouting retorts about over-taxation and the like. No one wants to be over-taxed. But, taxpayers also don't want to see their futures saddled with endless municipal bonds for purchases, stretching debt for years, as they are now. The current administration (re-purposed actors from the Action Party) is heading down the same path - Santayana wrote (in The Life of Reason, 1905) “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

In less than 3 years, your folks blew through $1.2M - wild spending and equally crazy election-year promises of money back in the pocket of the taxpayer. Perhaps it was a great campaign platform, but it resulted in a lousy final delivery - just ask the administration that followed yours - and increased taxes to cover the debt incurred. Repeating a less than honest rendition of history doesn't make it more factual.

T
    he Depew Action Party could not devote enough time to complete these goals as they were continually busy defending their elected officials at board meetings, in newspapers and at election time. Ironically, these distractions were often from persons or groups purporting to be seeking the same tax decrease goals.

Persons or groups? Defending elected officials? If I remember correctly, you took part in antics far worse. It's called playing politics, Joe, something of which you are WELL versed.

I suppose if the many like-minded persons would work together instead of worrying about getting favors or positions, we could have a shot at real changes.

Oh, puh-leeeeeeeze! Getting favors or positions - isn't that what you do/have done? Can you say HYPOCRITE? (I knew you could!)

As for myself, I will continue the fight to lower taxes despite any detractors comments or actions. I will continue to rally and support those sincerely interested in the same goals.

Webster's definition of sincerity: freedom from deceit, hypocrisy or duplicity; probity in intention or in communicating ; earnestness. Synonyms: truth, candor, frankness. Antonym: duplicity.

What more can I say?

PS:
    I'm sure the fine folks of this forum would enjoy the story of you and your political friends at a Sabres game - with you boasting about how you owned the Towns of Cheektowaga and Lancaster, and how, post-election, you then owned the Village of Depew. (I think a former village clerk, the son of a judge, and the son of a former town supervisor could remind you, if your memory is sparce, since they and others were there when you said it.)

The thing of it is - Joey and his friends like Mikey believe voters have short memories - and maybe they do !

But the people who were steam rolled and trampled don't !

You can BS just so many people, for just so long - your day has past J.C.

Many residents who deserved jobs or at least a fair chance at one - were denied - mostly because of Politics/Patronage and people like you.

You've had your time in Lancaster, Depew and so on !

Depew was carried/subsidized and ignored by the Giza admin - subsidized with just enough outside tax dollars to allow Depew residents a feeling of normalcy - but then they were left to flounder while Lancaster enjoyed record growth and climbing taxable property values.

While the same developer/developers made millions and ran/funded Depew/Lancaster's Political Parties, as well as Controlled Conservative party endorsements - those same developers funded Lancaster Parties, Dem Committee controllers/Candidates., and Depews ever changing "Minor" Parties.

We can only hope that as development slows - those same developers will leave and government can again begin to serve tax payers. Time will tell !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information