Thread: Genealogy - My great-great grandfather Michael Corbett - at a dead end.

Genealogy - My great-great grandfather Michael Corbett - at a dead end.

Well as most know one of my favorite past-times is my family history. I have been at a dead end on my great-great-grandfather Michael Corbett ( b. abt 1822, Ireland - abt 1879 Buffalo, NY). From electronic indexes his parents appear to be Patrick Corbett and Johanna Buckley. He married his second wife (my great-great-grandmother) Mary McCarthy in 1873 at Saint Joseph's Church in Buffalo, NY.

His first wife was named Mary as well but I have not been able to learn her maiden name. I have been hoping to learn her maiden name in order to hopefully trace back where they met and married in an attempt to get around this dead end. the first record I can find of Michael Corbett is in the 1860 census here in Buffalo. At the time he was still with his first wife who it is presumed to have died shortly after 1870 and his second wife Mary McCarthy was listed in the household as well.

So far I have the following:

Michael Corbett ( 1822 Ireland - 1879 Buffalo, NY) was married to Mary ???? ( 1828 Ireland - abt 1870 Buffalo, NY) and they had the following children:

Dennis James Corbett ( b 1850 New York - 1931 Buffalo, NY) - never married
    Mary Corbett (b 1853 New York - 1905 Buffalo, NY) never maried at the time of her passing she was the Mother Superior of the Sisters of Mercy.
    Nellie A. Corbett (b 1857 New York - 1910 Buffalo, NY) never married
    Michael Corbett ( b 1859 New York - ????)
    Catherine Corbett ( b 1863 Buffalo, NY - 1927 Buffalo, NY ) married James B. Shanley ( b 1863 New York - 1936 Buffalo, NY)

Michael Corbett was then married to Mary McCarthy ( b 1842 (1860 Census says Mass. but thereafter they say NY) - 1913 Buffalo, NY) her parents are listed as Jeremiah McCarthy and Margaret O'Brien. they had the following Children:

James Joseph Corbett ( b 1874 Buffalo - d 1923 Washington State) no known wife
    Alice Gertude Corbett ( b 1879 Buffalo - d 1918 Buffalo) married to Patrick J. Green (my great-grand-parents)

I just received the death certificate for Catherine (Corbett) Shanley and it lists her mother as unknown.

Any suggestions, leads, inquiries or information would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Family history is very cool. When we are out visiting antique malls you'll see complete family photo albums. Lot of family history in items like that.

A family tree on ancestry.com has Michael Corbett married to a Mary Lynch in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts in October 1849 with no source attached.

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/10756...pid=-569448559
    Last edited by gorja; November 1st, 2014 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Add link

Georgia L Schlager

That is my tree. Mary Lynch is a lead I am following. A lot of information lines up with her but there are several Michael Corbetts of that time.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    That is my tree. Mary Lynch is a lead I am following. A lot of information lines up with her but there are several Michael Corbetts of that time.
    I thought maybe it was yours but you had indicated that there was no clue to her maiden name more or less.

I've been stuck for years on the family of my paternal grandfather's mother. I know her maiden name from death notices but can't find any of her family

Georgia L Schlager

I finally found out her maiden name from: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FDL7-CCQ

It is Donovan!

That's great.

Georgia L Schlager

You might get some more help here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/genealogy/ . There are a lot of very knowledgeable posters there.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    James Joseph Corbett ( b 1874 Buffalo - d 1923 Washington State) no known wife
    Alice Gertude Corbett ( b 1879 Buffalo - d 1918 Buffalo) married to Patrick J. Green (my great-grand-parents)
    Patrick J. Green

Vintage 1896 Directory Buffalo NY

Michael Corbett ( 1822 Ireland - 1879 Buffalo, NY) was married to Mary ???? ( 1828 Ireland - abt 1870 Buffalo, NY) and they had the following children:

Dennis James Corbett ( b 1850 New York - 1931 Buffalo, NY) - never married
    Mary Corbett (b 1853 New York - 1905 Buffalo, NY) never maried at the time of her passing she was the Mother Superior of the Sisters of Mercy.
    Nellie A. Corbett (b 1857 New York - 1910 Buffalo, NY) never married
    Michael Corbett ( b 1859 New York - ????)
    Catherine Corbett ( b 1863 Buffalo, NY - 1927 Buffalo, NY ) married James B. Shanley ( b 1863 New York - 1936 Buffalo, NY)
    Relation?

Vintage 1896 Directory Buffalo NY

Yes. The Patrick Green at 233 Hamburg is my great-grandfather. He started off working on the railroad and then became a mailman. My grandmother told me one time that he was one of the last one to deliver by horse-drawn wagon.

The Corbetts in the directory at 435 Louisiana are related as well.

dt, I admire all the work you've put in. It's not easy and leads to many seemingly dead ends. I've always been hesitant to start because I'm afraid I'll find my family's roots run as deep as Birnam Wood.

I had a good start because my grandmother and her cousin started my maternal line back in the 1960's and I had a copy of that to start from. Doing it helps me unwind and relax just like doing a puzzle.

Just noticed the Henry Green at 233 Hamburgh on the left column, that is my great-great grandfather he worked as a fireman on the railroad (not the type that fights fires but the type that kept them going on the steam engines) and later as a watchman for the gas company.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I can still lookup more names if people are curious.

Thread Information