Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calling S.C.O.P.E. , NRA and gun owners - Rally in Cheektowaga on Friday

So where is this rally being held on Friday?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    So where is this rally being held on Friday?
    Call the highway department instead of our sanitation department and ask....

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Call the highway department instead of our sanitation department and ask....
    Badoomp boomp

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    When Frank was Chair people who are committee people said it wasn't good.. Now that it's Mark and it turns into "Well lets see how it goes". Play no favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob View Post
    You might also be from Mars if you didn't notice that "restriction" while limiting, is not a denial. I have said this before, the Second amendment is not absolute, otherwise there would be no Constitutionally tested laws restricting firearms from children or felons, illegal aliens or crazy people (to name a few, see 18 USC 922(g) for a list of disqualified persons) The same can be said of the First Amendment, Fourth and at least the Fifth.

One reason to limit access to guns (your constraint on 2A freedoms) is because people are slaughtering others with them. Sure, they may only consist of a small percentage of murders, but what percentage of mass murders? Those murders that occur are pretty devastating because they typically involve true innocents. Not war fighters, not gangsters or other criminals who have perhaps chosen that life.

And lets face some other facts, criminal guns start their lives as 2A lawful firearms. Not some "Sons of Anarchy" style gun smuggling operation. Stolen from law abiding gun owners who many times leave them insecure in closets or night stand drawers. For all the talk of registration and background checks, what about holding those negligent gun owners responsible for the loss of their deadly instruments. Mine are all locked up unless they are on my person and if I were to lose my government firearm they had better steal the lockbox that my agency requires it be in whenever it is not on my hip.

I've been involved in the contraband and interdiction business all my life. I understand that while flawed, reducing availability is a channel for reducing effect. Look at cigarettes. They used to be sold everywhere, even in machines. Access has been reduced, sanctions in place for those who violate, and smoking overall has been reduced as a percentage and as a health risk. Can you still buy cigarettes and smoke them? Yup, but you are restricted in when and where when it affects others.

Reducing the numbers of these weapons, licensing them and registering them to hold owners accountable is a means of reducing availability and perhaps, illegal use. The tyranny argument, while certainly a consideration in the passing of the Amendment in the first place, gets lost when you try and argue that this administration or the one before it is tyrannical. The facts just don't add up. That anyone of us can write the things we do on this web site is proof of that.

I wonder sometimes, if we did not have a Second amendment, if you could pass one today.

b.b.
    The second amendment would not pass today, furthermore our founding fathers would scarcely recognize our country if they came back today.

I would like you to respond to.

Why did the founding fathers put the second amendment in? What was the balance of power between citizen and government with regard to type of firearm at that time? What safeguards are in place to ensure that government does not disregard the will of the people?

How do you ensure that the human nature that never changes and is control of the the government is kept in check by an informed, armed and governing populace. Otherwise It requires blind trust in a government to do as you are told without asking questions. .That is a slave mentality and definately NOT what makes us Americans.

Nobody is going to argue that insane, underage, criminal people should be allowed to own guns. It's competent law abiding citizens that I worry about restrictions.

It would appear that most crimes are committed in cities that have strict gun control laws but then again I could be wrong. But look at DC, Detroit etc etc.

To Bob,

I almost forgot,,, limiting vs denial..... It's called mission creep.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    To Bob,

I almost forgot,,, limiting vs denial..... It's called mission creep.
    Whew...I thought you were going say slippery slope. I will get back to you on the other, tricks and treats tonite though.

b.b.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information