Thread: Shameless in Lancaster

Shameless in Lancaster

In her invocation before the formal start of the Lancaster Town Board meeting Council member Donna Stempniak expressed admiration for the freedom of the press and the right of residents to come forward and disagree with their own government; where such rights are not allowed in other countries.

It did not take long for those same residents, sometimes called activists, other times as gadflies, NIMBY’S, obstructionists, and worse to comment and question work session and agenda items. The theme for the night centered on status quo change and more transparency.

On a night where a resolution only changing the starting date of Tom Irish regarding his recently appointed labor aide position led to several residents commenting again on what they seen as a flawed process and where a favored individual was rewarded the job.

Resident Tom Kazmierczak

“I have a question for the board. Buffalo News columnist Rod Watson had an article last week condemning the hiring of Mr. Irish. A few days later, the Buffalo News editorial had quite an article on Lancaster hiring Mr. Irish. This is a rhetorical question and I don’t expect an answer, but board members who voted for Mr. Irish, are you proud of the fact that Rod Watson condemned you? Are you proud of the fact that the Buffalo News editorial board condemned Lancaster for this hiring? I think it is something to be ashamed of. But, that’s my opinion. This whole thing was a fiasco.”

“I understand Mr. Komrek’s, CSEA union representative and labor aide, position on the hiring. But to Mr. Komrek I would say the salary and benefits package for a labor’s aide is obscene. Entry level skilled workers in the private sector don’t make that kind of pay. Mr. Komrek, your job could be done for less money by a cleaning service.”

“Mr. Komrek, I hope you train Mr. Irish the proper way to dust, sweep and mop because Brando’s, his place of business was cited by the health Department for unsanitary conditions,”

Resident Mike Fronczak

“At the last meeting, on the appointment of Tom Irish for the vacant labor aide position I did not hear from Councilman Ron Ruffino on the hiring. How do feel about this hiring considering Mr. Irish since he did not show up for the Dog Control position and was a no-show for his appointed labor aide start date? How do you feel that he was the right guy for the job; the most qualified?”

Councilman Ron Ruffino: “He was on the list of the five qualified people. The position needed to be filled. Things are slipping around here and maybe that’s one of the reasons; that we don’t have enough help.”

Fronczak: “I am not disputing that (filling of the position). Now that we have two more instances of let’s say not being dependable, dedicated or whatever, you still cite this individual as the man for the job.”

Ruffino: “I question Mr. Fudoli’s disclosing that he had personal problems with Mr. Irish’s hiring. He is qualified, was selected for the position and we need to fill the position.”*

Fronczak: “Mr. Abraham, same question.”

Councilman John Abraham: “Same thing. He applied for the position, interviewed for the position, and there was a delayed start because of family emergency. It’s not like we paid him for the week that he wasn’t here.”

Resident Dave Zalenski

“I am not a frequent attendee of the meetings here, but I felt compelled to attend tonight and speak my mind as to what transpired with Mr. Irish’s appointment. Increasingly what I am seeing here in this government is a lack of wisdom in judgment.”

“Knowing full well that the process was flawed, what you should have known based upon what events transpired in the process, it showed a lack of wisdom not to think that the community would get their hairs up. It has stirred me up as well.”

“I don’t know Mr. Irish. I can’t speak to his character. But the way this process took place, it does appear to me that there is a serious flaw in wisdom in the way this board did not think the community would care.”

“President Obama said, ‘Elections have consequences’. I can say affirmatively that the people of Lancaster are starting to feel that; from this kind of representation. I know for myself, I will work aggressively to see that kind of representation comes to an end”

*The four Democratic council members that voted approval for Irish’s labor aide appointment continue to maintain that Irish applied for the labor aide position, was interviewed, and selected to be put on a list of the top five (out of 15 interviewed) for the position by then Crew Chief Terry McCracken. That is absolutely correct. Except that job posting and filling took place in November of 2013. The person then appointed was Surowick. A FOILED copy of the emailed list shows the following as the candidates recommended by McCracken:

Andrew Gee
    Andrew Marino
    Ronald Surowick
    Thomas Irish
    Joshua Smith

Surowick resigned in April 2014. The position was posted again. Applications were received. No applicant was interviewed, no list was compiled by McCracken and the position lay vacant until Supervisor Dino Fudoli took it out of the tentative 2015 budget. Immediately thereafter the four council members took it upon themselves to appoint Mr. Irish – bypassing any recommendation by the interim crew chief and in arbitrarily and capriciously ignoring the candidates applying for the position in April.

The labor aide position was vacant 27 of the last 33 months and all of a sudden it is categorized as a must need position. The DEMS did their best in the past year to find a job for Mr. Irish and after several failed attempts, in different departments, succeeded.

Shame, what shame. They hold a 4-1 voting majority and can act as they please; as of now.

So, the hire date stated for Mr Irish at the last meeting was not a mistake or misspeak but just a case of a new employee who is going to work only when he wants to work?????

Georgia L Schlager

Tax funded Town Employees/voters love their tax funded Officials

And that is exactly why Mr.Irish is being placed in the Police/Court House. He will be a free range player - no one to clock his hours or work ethic (maybe ethics doesn't belong in this) - but any way - he will be out of sight !

The ruling Town Hall Controllers are no longer happy with plain old patronage - they are now bringing back tax funded "No show workers"

No , they have no shame - to them its all part of the game !

Go to Franks - watch them eat , drink and laugh .
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    There has to be a time clock/card for the employees. Right?

The town board does run your town in the best interest of the property/business owners?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    There has to be a time clock/card for the employees. Right?

The town board does run your town in the best interest of the property/business owners?

hahahahahahahaha, that's a good one

Payroll forms are a formality - not evidence of actual hours worked. Most are filled out biweekly and signed by people who almost never see those employees they sign for.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Originally posted by 4248:
    And that is exactly why Mr.Irish is being placed in the Police/Court House.
    I believe they contract out the cleaning services for the police/court house.

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information