Thread: "Guns don't kill, people do"

"Guns don't kill, people do"

Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

As much as I hate the anti-gun crap that this will bring... that was plain stupid.

You do not give ANYONE a firearm that they aren't ready to handle yet.

These incidents just prove that while everyone might be born with a 2A right, everyone isn't born to parents qualified to be anywhere near firearms.

I'm sure most on this forum will remember the 8-year old who shot himself while being allowed to fire an uzi at a gun a show a few years ago in Massachusetts. in that incident " Christopher's father, Charles Bizilj, was present at the time of the shooting and videotaped the entire incident."

What next, parents who let 8 and 9 year old kids drive in a fantasy NASCAR race?

Gun safety was a standard class in many American schools for a long time.

People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    I'm betting they didn't try to teach children how to safely fire an uzi.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post

BS. A police officer coming into a school once a year for an hour or so to talk about not pointing guns at people in one of the 4 states that allowed gun safety courses certainly does NOT constitute "a standard class in many American schools for a long time".

That photograph is from a 1956 Life magazine article BTW. Linky
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    BS. A police officer coming into a school once a year for an hour or so to talk about not pointing guns at people in one of the 4 states that allowed gun safety courses certainly does NOT constitute "a standard class in many American schools for a long time".

That photograph is from a 1956 Life magazine article BTW. Linky
    Not to sure about that. A lot of schools back in the day had rifle teams, so I would think gun safety went a little beyond a one hour talk once a year.
    I know a few older people who say that when they were in school, the kids that hunted would bring their guns into school and leave them in their lockers, as they hunted before and after school. Nobody blinked a eye, nobody did any mass shootings.

Lancaster, Maryvale and many other schools had rifle teams - students in the fifties/sixties and early seventies would openly carry their rifles to and from school. The schools actually had shooting ranges in them. Look it up.

You'll be hard pressed - if not impossible to find a news article that states school shooter had target rifle and was on school team. Please prove me wrong.

School aged hunters routinely carried their rifles to school - as some one else stated.

Education is the key - our schools, like every place else have fallen to the whims of "Political Agendas"

Take away their rights, take away their choices, remove religion - make them walk the "Safe Path" and what you get is misinformed - misguided robots who have paranoid parents who feel safe.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

I think everyone would agree that hunting rifles and uzi's are in completely different categories.
    Even if she was on a rifle team the ending here would probably be the same.
    The death of this man wasn't due to taking away anyone's rights or removing religion.
    It's due to the ignorance of the parents and negligence of the gun range.
    I feel sorry for everyone involved. That poor girl... the parents... the instructor's family. Just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chant View Post
    Not to sure about that. A lot of schools back in the day had rifle teams, so I would think gun safety went a little beyond a one hour talk once a year.
    I know a few older people who say that when they were in school, the kids that hunted would bring their guns into school and leave them in their lockers, as they hunted before and after school. Nobody blinked a eye, nobody did any mass shootings.
    Yep, when I was in high school -Williamsville North '82- Pick Up trucks inthe parking lot that were owned by kids who hunted had shotguns on rifle racks in the rear window and North had a rifle team. They don't still?
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    I think everyone would agree that hunting rifles and uzi's are in completely different categories.
    Even if she was on a rifle team the ending here would probably be the same.
    The death of this man wasn't due to taking away anyone's rights or removing religion.
    It's due to the ignorance of the parents and negligence of the gun range.
    I feel sorry for everyone involved. That poor girl... the parents... the instructor's family. Just awful.
    Exactly.

But the guniots will blame the incident on "gunfree zones".

If it was a "Rifle" the instructer would have maybe a headache. The barrel would have hit him - instead of a bullet.

This "accident" started when parents thought it would be cool to film a 9 year old shooting a machine gun.

Then the stupidity continued when the range agreed to allow a novice to use a Uzi on full auto.

The "instructer" failed to maintain control - the girl fired 2 shots(according to the video) - that's in no way a proper instruction period.

Would you give a 9 year old the control of your car just because you showed her how to start the motor ?
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    Plenty of schools had rifle teams in the 50's. Lets not rewrite history
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chant View Post
    There's a big difference between a school having a sports team and a "standard class". A "standard class" implies something regularly taught to the general student body at some time during their years in school like English or phys ed or wood shop. Schools might have tennis or golf teams, but those sports weren't offered as "standard" classes. Even major sports like football, basketball or volleyball weren't "standard classes", but might be played in gym classes occasionally or even regularly.

I think stories about students being allowed to bring guns into school are exaggerations or possible "rural legends" (as opposed to "urban legends"). Maybe somebody once smuggled a shotgun or air rifle into school, and that incident eventually morphed into "students were allowed to bring guns to school". I attended rural central schools in southern Erie and Cattaraugus Counties in the 1950s and 1960s, and never heard of students being allowed to bring shotguns or rifles into school buildings. First off, no bus driver was going to let somebody on a school bus with a gun if he knew about it, and it's hard to hide a long-barrel gun. High school kids who drove and planned on hunting before or after school just left them in their cars.

Thread Information