Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Depew takeing aim at the shooting range ? Why ?

I am encouraged that you feel the Gun Range should stay open. I didn't say you were against it -

I merely brought up a news report of neighbors complaining.

I also accept that what your saying - correct me if needed - is that no official statement was made by the Village Board of Depew against the Safe Act. Is that a accurate statement ?

So, Politically speaking - not personally - the Village of Depew Board supports individual gun rights and as a Governing body feels no need to support the Safe Act ! Is that fair to say.

Yet personally, you feel personal gun owner ship should be protected and you assume the other members personally feel likewise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Again - my first post was after a tv news report - and it was posed as a "Question"

Time will tell "who" actually has a problem with the gun range - and why !

The owner - should get in front of this quickly - don't wait for who ever is feeding the media to paint you as a unresponsive neighbor.

Speak with each neighbor, document and address each and every complaint - seek out those who have issue and help them get resolve - no matter the financial cost - or be shut down.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Would you still keep it open if you knew it was effecting the residents quality of life even if the noise was one notch below the acceptable level but still annoying?

Just an example and nothing to do with the range.

Only reason I ask is when it comes to changing zoning. I have noticed town boards will say something like "We have no choice because the property is zoned to allow this or that". We don't want a developer to sue us. What they fail to bring up was the zoning was changed in the not too distance past to allow what was built. When zoning is changed who has the final say? The zoning board or the town board?
    The area of the gun range is proper;y zoned. No changes to the zoning were or are needed. I would not be in favor of a gun range in any area that was not properly zoned or if it was negatively affecting the community.

The village board has no lawful control over zoning. The zoning board answers to state authority.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    I am encouraged that you feel the Gun Range should stay open. I didn't say you were against it -

I merely brought up a news report of neighbors complaining.

I also accept that what your saying - correct me if needed - is that no official statement was made by the Village Board of Depew against the Safe Act. Is that a accurate statement ?

So, Politically speaking - not personally - the Village of Depew Board supports individual gun rights and as a Governing body feels no need to support the Safe Act ! Is that fair to say.

Yet personally, you feel personal gun owner ship should be protected and you assume the other members personally feel likewise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Again - my first post was after a tv news report - and it was posed as a "Question"

Time will tell "who" actually has a problem with the gun range - and why !

The owner - should get in front of this quickly - don't wait for who ever is feeding the media to paint you as a unresponsive neighbor.

Speak with each neighbor, document and address each and every complaint - seek out those who have issue and help them get resolve - no matter the financial cost - or be shut down.
    As far as I know the Village of Depew Board supports individual gun rights and as a governing body feels no need to support the Safe Act!

Thanks for clearing that up
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

From the Lancaster/Depew bee -

Officials were contacted regarding the noise coming from the Wolcott Guns Inc. indoor firing range at 3052 Walden Ave., butthe business is reported to be well within code.

According to Fischione, the situation was investigated by Depew Police Chief Stan Carwile on Saturday and the noise levels were in compliance.

The business is located in a manufacturing zone, where the maximum daytime decibel level is 115, with a level of 100 during the evening. A reading from the fence line at Walden Avenue was just above 75 decibels.

According to Fischione, the business has also completed updates, which have brought the decibel level down by roughly a margin of five from readings last October.

The code enforcement officer did note that Depew’s limits are higher than surrounding communities, but even other standards would not have Wolcott out of code. In neighboring Cheektowaga, one of the localities with lower limits, the maximum daytime decibel level in that area is 75.

Georgia L Schlager

I was shooting there last night and it was very busy and I didnt hear nothing...Mikeeeee..
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post
    I was shooting there last night and it was very busy and I didnt hear nothing...Mikeeeee..
    It's true. Mr Wolcott has done an outstanding job of keeping the range very soundproof.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I'm curious. Seeing it is a gun range was noise taken into consideration from the start?

It is pretty much a no brainer that a gun range would be loud. I totally understand when someone says "well within accepted decibel code" but that doesn't mean it doesn't effect the quality of life for the people around the complex. Bang, bang, bang bang bang, bang and bang... while your sitting in your yard having a picnic or reading a book.
    It might also be a timing and/or weather conditions issue. For example, one of the local shooting ranges in Busti just a couple of miles away likes to shoot on Sunday mornings. I hear them sometimes when I walk my dog in a park near my house in Jamestown. From my distance, the gun fire just sounds like a muted "pop, pop, pop" but it might be much louder and/or jarring if one were closer and wanted to sleep in on Sunday morning which many people do.

Also, weather conditions can carry and even amplify sound.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by cheekman View Post
    That was because you didn't wear ear protectors and were deafened. Maybe by tomorrow you'll get some of your hearing back.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    It's true. Mr Wolcott has done an outstanding job of keeping the range very soundproof.
    Great place to shoot.. the pain in the butt neighbor is a complainer from what packers tell me.. you have them all over.
    God must love stupid people; He made so many

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information