Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: If your son or daughter goes next

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    I can envision no senerio where a 4 yr degree would cause you to be paying off student debt into your 30's, unless you partied all through college, didnt work at all, lived in the dorms, ate like crazy at the school etc which would would be.... .......... drum roll ........pretty irresponsible yes?
    A 10-year payment plan is fairly standard for student loans, so most people do exactly that: pay off the loans into their early 30's. Also you're assuming everyone has only 4 years of college. People get a second degree or a Masters, PhD, MBA, or go to law school or medical school, etc. So there you go. Now you have a bunch of scenarios to envision.

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles View Post
    A 10-year payment plan is fairly standard for student loans, so most people do exactly that: pay off the loans into their early 30's. Also you're assuming everyone has only 4 years of college. People get a second degree or a Masters, PhD, MBA, or go to law school or medical school, etc. So there you go. Now you have a bunch of scenarios to envision.

Well that type of response falls under the bad parenting category. If u need a 10 yr loan to go to 4 yrs of college than something is very wrong.

Been there done that, no 10 yr loans from my kids, they worked, Lived at home. And did there own laundry.

Live with in your means is a lesson not enough of these kids parents taught them.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Over a trillion in student loan debt, tells me that things are not good economically for this generation and another bubble that will burst. Like the US these kids are clearly over leveraged. More than credit card debt in the US

It's the MATH again folks, we can hide our heads in the sand all day long but in the end you can't outrun the numbers...
    Last edited by Save Us; August 9th, 2014 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Over a trillion in student loan debt, tells me that things are not good economically for this generation and another bubble that will burst. Like the US these kids are clearly over leveraged. More than credit card debt in the US

It's the MATH again folks, we can hide our heads in the sand all day long but in the end you can't outrun the numbers...
    I agree with you, but what I don't agree with and what some of the other posters are implying is that this is natural and unavoidable. It does come down to numbers, if you cant afford it don't do it.

What someone wants to do and what they have the best chance of getting paid doing are two different things most of the time, the Helicopter parents didn't raise these kids that way, pop Psychology of the day was "be your kids best friend" "everyone gets a trophy" "even if your kid is 4 foot 9 inches tall encourage him in his dream to be an NBA star", and other such nonsense.

I used to see it all the time as a LL football coach. little johnny has no coordination, cant catch block or pass to save his life, is 50 pounds smaller then everyone on the team but its everyone else's fault from the coach to the water boy to the team mom that the kid cant play.

You play the hand life deals you, its that simple. Teaching that lesson should be parenting 101. Maybe little johnny is super good at math or English, put him on the debate team for goodness sake don't get him killed putting him on a football field.

If little johnny has to take out a 10 yr loan to get a degree in Horticulture maybe helicopter parent should tell him its time to take up computer repair. If little johnny gets his degree and after draining moms bank account decides that's not for him then maybe mom should put her foot down and say fine get another degree, but your on your own this time around. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Like the song says you cant always get what you want, but if you try some time you get what you need.

and this notion that a 30 something is suddenly going to have the light bulb go off and become a top executive at some corporation after spending the first 14 + yrs of adult life playing Nintendo and sponging off his mom.......... I just dont no what to say to that.

People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Well that type of response falls under the bad parenting category. If u need a 10 yr loan to go to 4 yrs of college than something is very wrong.
    Been there done that, no 10 yr loans from my kids, they worked, Lived at home. And did there own laundry.
    Live with in your means is a lesson not enough of these kids parents taught them.
    That's not what it means at all. 10 years is a standard payoff. You're focusing on one group of people (4 years of college) that don't represent the statistics of all the kids getting advanced degrees and going to school for 6 or 8 years. Even the ones that could pay it off sooner than 10 years often don't because there's better ways to spend/invest money than rushing to pay off college loans.

And did you just say your kids lived at home? WTF are you even arguing about then?

That's not what it means at all. 10 years is a standard payoff. You're focusing on one group of people (4 years of college) that don't represent the statistics of all the kids getting advanced degrees and going to school for 6 or 8 years.
    Of course I am focusing on the largest demographic in the generation we are talking about.

And did you just say your kids lived at home? WTF are you even arguing about then?
    Whats up with your reading comprehension dude?

I said:
    see that ed, that means past tense. Once they are done with college they are out the door. I did say I had one finishing up his last semester once he is done he gets bounced as well. LOL

I guess I have to spell it out ... The statistics about increased young people (18-31) living at home with their parents includes college kids. You've been mocking them out as lazy and mocking their parents, and yet you and your kids were actually part of that same statistic. I'm not saying it's bad to live at home, but that's the whole point!

I guess I have to spell it out ... The statistics about increased young people (18-31) living at home with their parents includes college kids. You've been mocking them out as lazy and mocking their parents, and yet you and your kids were actually part of that same statistic. I'm not saying it's bad to live at home, but that's the whole point!
    since I don't see anywhere in this thread where I said kids should move out before they finish school your point is lost on me

only 29% are employed, what does that tell you?

That kinda shoots down the old "they are paying off their college loans" argument

Back to the OP
    Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Ask your self this question:

If your son or daughter is ordered into the combat zone in Gaza or Israel would you support that action ?

Yes or No
    Why ?

Yes. We must stand by Israel, they are our ally - friend. That, in and of itself, should be reason enough alone. Would you allow your neighbor/friend to be attacked on a regular and constant basis? Not that Israel is a neighbor, but they are our friend. Wouldn't you do everything within your power to help your friend out? Maybe even go so far as to help them defend their home? Or, at the very least, give them what they need to protect themselves? Or, rally your other mutual friends to help out?
    Israel isn't fighting Gaza, they're fighting Hamas - a close cousin to Al-Qaeda who is a kissing cousin to ISIS. Whose sole purpose is to kill off the entire Jewish race. It's in their charter (constitution) to do so. A victory for Hamas is a momentum builder. Say that they did kill all of Israel (God forbid) Do you actually think that they would sit down, have a beer with their comrades and say "Good job!"? No, of course not. They would go after the next set of infidels that they perceive as weaker - either Europe or the USA. They wouldn't go after Russia, yet, because they see Putin as a force to be reckoned with. And, rightly so. They're already. openly, talking about future strikes on the USA. Do we really want to wait until then?
    Yes, it costs money, and lots of it. How much more would it cost to protect our own soil? Yes, many brave American men and women lost their lives, or were injured. Should these lives have been lost in vain? I say "No." I'd be more PO'd if my son, or daughter, were killed for ... well ... nothing as is the sum total for the last 10 years.
    Hard work? Yes. But nothing good comes easy.

As for this current generation? I have a Meatloaf family - 2 outta 3 ain't bad. Ages 33, 25 and 22. My oldest bought a condo at age 21 and has his Master's in Education. He's been married for 11 years and has 2 beautiful children. He, and his wife, worked as wait staff while in college. I had him when I was barely 18. He's doing alright.
    My middle child is married, for 3 years, with one beautiful child and has a career. She's doing alright.
    My youngest lives in my basement. She has no direction. She's coming around, but not as successful as her siblings. I could have had her labeled as a child, and probably would have gotten a monthly check for it as well, but I chose not to. To me, that's the easy way out.
    I never pushed college as the measure of success. Functioning as an adult is the measure of success. If my youngest chooses to be a waitress, or cashier, for the rest of her life, I would be happy with that. So long as she was good at it. The world still needs good waitresses and cashiers.
    The problem I see with many of today's young adults? They weren't spanked for doing wrong. They got trophies merely for participating, and they were given way too much without earning it. Disney and Nickelodeon preached to them that they had rights and were entitled to certain standards and that respect was earned. Not in my house. You did as you were told, or got a whack on your ass. No beatings/abuse, just a *whack!* "Now that I have your attention ... " This whack always came with a "If I have to tell you again, you're gonna' get spanked." And then I kept my word. There were no idle threats in this house. If my kids lost or failed at something, they were told to either try harder or we'd find something that they were good at. But they weren't allowed to quit. My kids were taught that respect is given, even if they didn't like the person, that there are certain people that deserve their unearned respect i.e. your elders, people in authority including teachers, police officers and, especially, mom and dad. My kids were blessed to have both mom and dad under the same roof. Well ... it was my son and I for his first 8 years. We both worked, but did not give in, too often, to their demands for stuff. I think that, all too often, parents, single or bonded, give their kids stuff to feed their own guilty consciences for not being home because they had to work. It's just easier that way. The last thing that I wanted to do when I came home from work was go to the park or playground. The last thing that I wanted to do on my rare weekend off was go camping. Yet, that's what we did. I've never been on a romantic cruise with my husband or been to Vegas or any other adult vacation. My vacations were always family vacations. Only twice did my kids spend the night someplace because hubby and I went someplace purely for fun. Both times were for 2 nights. My kids are grown, so now is our time for adult fun. Except, we don't have the money for it. Eh, such is life.
    The "reward" for all of this? Seeing my kids raise their kids. Hearing, through out their childhoods, "Your kids are so well behaved." My son saying "I didn't know we were poor." or "Mom! You shoulda' heard this kid at the store! If I ever talked to you like that, I'da been smacked! Heck, I wanted to smack him!" (FTR I don't think my son or DIL ever spanked their kids, not even once. My daughter's child is still an infant, but I doubt she'll spank either.) "Mom, when I get married, I want a marriage like yours."
    Hard work? Yes. But nothing good comes easy.
    Okay, I'm stepping off of my soap box.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

only 29% are employed, what does that tell you?

That kinda shoots down the old "they are paying off their college loans" argument

Re-read the stats you posted.
    It shows that only 16% of millenials over the age of 24 are living home.
    Most of the ones living at home are still college aged.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    Back to the OP

Yes. We must stand by Israel, they are our ally - friend. That, in and of itself, should be reason enough alone. Would you allow your neighbor/friend to be attacked on a regular and constant basis? Not that Israel is a neighbor, but they are our friend. Wouldn't you do everything within your power to help your friend out? Maybe even go so far as to help them defend their home? Or, at the very least, give them what they need to protect themselves? Or, rally your other mutual friends to help out?
    Yes and no. It still comes down to cost.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    I never pushed college as the measure of success. Functioning as an adult is the measure of success. If my youngest chooses to be a waitress, or cashier, for the rest of her life, I would be happy with that. So long as she was good at it. The world still needs good waitresses and cashiers.

The problem I see with many of today's young adults? They weren't spanked for doing wrong. They got trophies merely for participating, and they were given way too much without earning it. Disney and Nickelodeon preached to them that they had rights and were entitled to certain standards and that respect was earned.
    agree 100%!

I think way to much emphasis is placed on college these days but that's another thread
    Last edited by steven; August 9th, 2014 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Yes and no. It still comes down to cost.
    And it comes down to Need. As far as I'm aware, Israel hasn't asked us for any help, and doesn't need any help.

Re-read the stats you posted.
    It shows that only 16% of millenials over the age of 24 are living home.
    Most of the ones living at home are still college aged.
    Today's Buffalo News article

Millenials could hold the key to housing recovery
    Dustin Walsh could’ve bought a house earlier, except he saw no point.

The 31-year-old had the income, but preferred the financial freedom of renting a room in his cousin’s basement.
    But with a hearty push from his parents, he bought his first home last week. His tidy townhouse comes with a two-car garage that has enough space to store all of his stuff.

Walsh is just the typical millennial. And like many of those born since the 1980s, he waited a beat to buy a house. The percentage of Americans under age 35 who owned a home fell to 36 percent last year, the lowest level on record.
    Polls suggest that millennials haven’t given up on home buying altogether, but are simply delaying the decision. Herb Tousley, director of real estate programs at the University of St. Thomas, said that the lack of a job security is a major factor.

“Young people are reluctant to commit to purchasing a home if they think there is a chance that they end up in a different job across town or in another city,” he said.

Research shows that the recession was particularly hard on the millennials, who are more likely to be unemployed than other age groups and are more in debt, but a critical link in the housing recovery. The number of millennial households in their 30s is expected to increase by 2.7 million over the coming decade, boosting demand for new and existing houses. By 2020, millennials will make up at least half the workforce

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...overy-20140810

Georgia L Schlager

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information