Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clarence parents charged with hosting underage drinking party

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Wrong question.

The answer to the right question is that my parents never hosted underge drinking parties for me and my friends.
    In the late 70's and early 80's, growing up in Amherst a LOT of parents had parties at their houses where the underagers were drinking. A lot. My graduation party in 1982 included. I'll go slap my mom now...
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Every approach is different because every group of kids are different.
    A party for your kid and a few friends (that are all staying/camping out) where there's going to be some drinking isn't the end all be all. The problem is there were an estimated 45 kids. That's simply unmanageable for two parents.
    As long as you ask the other kids parents if little Johnny can have a few beers, and they agree as long as its contained and semi supervised, then no big deal, IMO.
    45 kids? Not me. 25 kids? Not me. 5-10? Preferably 5, and only if they were well known.

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
    In the late 70's and early 80's, growing up in Amherst a LOT of parents had parties at their houses where the underagers were drinking. A lot. My graduation party in 1982 included. I'll go slap my mom now...
    That was true in the late 80s too, but it was more "turning a blind eye while semi-supervising" than it was "hey kids, come on over and get hammered".
    Times have changed. Helicopter parenting is common. Putting kids in a bubble is normal. Parents afraid of lawsuits are normal, and advisable.

Quote Originally Posted by NY The Vampire State View Post
    What's the probable cause and where's the warrant to enter the premise? A bar by virtue of its liquor license is bound to not serve minors. What goes on in someone's private home is not open for the police to just invite themselves in.
    re-read the first line of the article. The police had an anonymous tip. Could have easily been from a neighbor. 45 drunken teenagers aren't usually very quiet. If a neighbor called the police to complain about loud party with underage drinking, then the police would probably be required to check it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information