Thread: Public hearing on rezone of Harris Hill project; Part II: Opposition & other

Public hearing on rezone of Harris Hill project; Part II: Opposition & other

While five Harris Hill Road spoke in full support of Natale’s rezone application to rezone 38 acres of Residential District One (R-1) property at 375 & 391 Harris Hill Road to Multi-Family District Four (MFR-4) zoning for the purpose of constructing a 150 unit senior apartment complex and 9 single-family homes, two Harris Hill Rod residents had reservations, three residents raised concerns, and one recommended rezone denial.

A 390 Harris Hill Road resident who lives directly across the street from the project declared she was sitting on the fence. Doesn’t know what the right answer to this is. Traffic, sewers and quarry are issues. Behooves the town board to use their wisdom when making a determination and how this project will affect the future. I am not fighting progress but I am asking that all parties work together.

The resident living at 394 Harris Hill Road claimed that she could set her clock at noon everyday to coincide with the stone quarry blasting that takes place near the project location. She declared that her house has suffered foundation damage. The dust from the stone quarry comes right across Harris Hill into her backyard as well.

Resident Don Symer spoke on a Sewer District Four meeting he had recently attended. He had asked on the sewer system that is located on Harris Hill Road between Wherle Drive and Genesee Street. He was told that the current sewer pipe was two inches in diameter and was only buried two feet below ground. He added that individual homes have grinders in the line that are pressurized. The existing system currently is at max capacity right now. A sewer district official said a larger pipe size is required and would need to be installed deeper in the ground. The length of sewer line needed to connect to the main at Genesee Street and with a gas line present makes this a costly project.

Respectfully, I assume that the assurances that the town board members were given tonight, namely that the sewer costs would be picked up by the petitioner, and not the taxpayer, should this project move forward. Symer mentioned that he had heard nothing on the viability of the water lines knowing the demand for water will increase.
    Respectfully, I offer these considerations to the town board.

Paul Grabowski informed the board that there is a Volunteer Fire Hall that takes care of all the residents living along Harris Hill Road. “I don’t know how much more we can get involved here,” declared Grabowski. “That is one concern the board has to keep in mind. I’m not for this. There is going to be an increase of traffic, sorry to say. If it gets approved, fine, but I think you should look at the fire halls.”

Resident Mike Fronczak

You (petitioner) talk about putting in walkways in wetlands. Can you put walkways in State regulated wetlands? I didn’t think so.

Attorney Jeff Palumbo: We didn’t say walkways in wetlands.

Fronczak: You mentioned walking dogs…

Supervisor Dino Fudoli: You can walk in wetlands; you can’t put trails in wetlands.

Fronczak: Is that a feasible thing to be telling people they can walk in wetlands when there are no trails or bridges to cross standing water areas?

Fudoli: I can’t answer that question for the developer but I can refer it to Town Engineer Bob Harris.

Harris: They would have to go to the DEC for approval for what they want to do. I assume they haven’t had a chance to talk to them yet. This is a possibility, not a given.

Fronczak: Well, the residents should know this may not be a possibility to walk into and disturb a wetland.

Councilman Mark Aquino: There isn’t always water in a wetland; there are times when there is no water.

Fronczak: Does Mr. Natale own this property.

Fudoli: I believe he has a contingency contract in place based on development approval.

Fronczak: One thing I have seen happen in Lancaster is that we develop the structures first and then put in the infrastructure later. I don’t care if you put one more car on this road either from developing single-family homes or if it’s multi-family use, how is one ever to make a left turn into or out of this complex without a signal, or even a turning lane? It is near impossible now not only at traffic peak hours but at other times of the day as well?

Fudoli: That are not denying it’s busy there, but Transit Road is ten times busier and I have property there where there is no signal and they make turns there all the time.

Fronczak: I am not against the development but I want to make sure we do our homework before we rezone again, and we know how many times that has happened in this town, and that the infrastructure is in place before we made the move on the development.

Fudoli: It’s a county road.

Fronczak: There we go again. We are going to have a scapegoat. It will be like hearing the same thing as on William Street and where the residents petitioned for road improvements and all they heard was that it’s a county road and the town couldn’t do anything about it.

Fudoli: It’s a county road and there is nothing the town can do to control it.

Fronczak: So as someone that has been travelling this road for 15 years I will be hung up even more when heading north by someone trying to make a left into this complex where there is no signal or turning lane.

Fudoli: Actually the state grants signalization and turning lanes; county road or not.

Resident Lee Chowaniec

I agree with the recommendation made by the Town of Lancaster Planning Board to the Town Board on May 21. 2014 to deny rezone of this project based on their findings and other:

• The project does not fit the character of the neighborhood (Hamlet of Bowmansville)

• The project will exacerbate the traffic situation on Harris Hill Road and will impact traffic on Genesee Street in Bowmansville and the Town of Clarence. Considering Clarence’s proximity, the traffic study should be presented to Clarence for their review and comment.

• Increase in density. The proposed rezoning and high-density development are not in compliance with the Town’s Comprehensive Plan. This rezone hearing is supposed to be about land use, as you told me at the last meeting. The Future Land Use Map from the Town of Lancaster, Village of Lancaster, and Village of Depew Comprehensive Plan of February 2000 identifies the property in question as an area where low-density housing should be located. The Comprehensive Plan was last updated in 2000 and since that time Lancaster has been handing out rezones and rezones of rezones like candy. It’s time to stop or re-evaluate the Comprehensive Plan.

• Except for a notation from the Erie County Department of Public Works I have heard no mention of the fact that there is a Limestone Rock quarry within ¼ mile of the project site; until tonight. The county raises potential risk concerns to the public and the dwelling structures. Will the blasting operations to mine the rock cause problems with the foundations of these buildings? Within Erie County there are other active quarries that existed before the surrounding areas were built up. Residents within these areas now want the quarries shut down due to health risks, noise, dust, and truck traffic. Will the Town of Lancaster be causing future problems by allowing additional residential land use in this area?

Supervisor Fudoli: Stop right there. Jeff (Simme – Building Inspector), do we have on record people that have structural damages from the quarry?

Simme: Not that I am aware of. (Yet one Harris Hill resident spoke out that she did).

Chowaniec: That’s not relevant here as I know of many instances in different subdivisions where homeowners are suffering basement or other structural damages and will not come forward for fear of devaluing their property.

I am hearing tonight from Natale reps that the land to be rezoned is for 38 acres, yet on the application to the Planning Board it was for 32 acres. Which is?

Palumbo: 38 acres. There was some confusion as to whether or not the entire parcel would be rezoned or not. It is and includes the single-family home construction.

Density/Traffic

Chowaniec: So if this were about land use, this project would be denied as it was for a previous developer who had applied for a rezone to construct a 262 apartment complex.

But this developer, as others have done before have done, meets with neighboring residents a little over a week ago and convinces them the project concept is now less dense as it has been reduced from 175 senior apartments to 150 - but still with 9 single-family lots to be developed; and that as it is a senior complex there would be less traffic than if it were developed as intended in the Comprehensive Plan, as a 50-60 single-family subdivision.

I find that reasoning presumptuous, unsubstantial and based on supporting the developers self-serving agenda to get this property rezoned. The project site is located on 38 acres. The number of maximum homes allowed in a Residential District One (R-I) = 3.5 dwelling units max per acre per town zoning code. That would allow for max build-out for 133 single-family homes. In their own presentation the petitioner rezone reps declare at least half the land is comprised of a state regulated wetland and as such would only allow for a 50-60 single family home build out. The DEC might permit building in the wetland adjacent area (buffer area) but not in the wetland.

And somehow the developer has convinced the Harris Hill Road neighbors that a 150 senior apartment complex with 9 single-family dwellings would bring no more, maybe even less traffic, than a 50- 60 R-1 single-family development. Seriously?

The developer has reduced the density because of the wetlands and declares that because of his now less dense project he does not need the installation of a signal or a turning lane. No need for road improvements for the future senior apartment dwellers, the neighbors and the Harris Hill Road travelers. Hey, the neighbors get use of facility amenities. If this project were denied rezone, it is my opinion that nothing would be built there as the development of a 50-60 R-1 single-family subdivision would not be financially profitable.

Seniors and traffic

The age 55 and over apartment dwellers are well in today’s working age. Seniors 70 and over can be found in today’s workplace. Those seniors that are not working are not the stay-at-home seniors of yesterday. Being one of them and living in a townhouse complex with like demographics, vehicles are traveling in and out of the complex at the same rate of single-family subdivisions. As for traffic volume and traffic control systems in place, there are none. I live along William Street and would not want to see anyone suffer same broken promises and unintended consequences that have taken place here.

The developer met with the neighbors, told them different on the potential traffic impacts, misled them on volume count between the senior apartment complex and a single-family development, promised the neighboring residents use of the developed project amenities; pool, tennis court, etc, and asked them to submit letters of recommendation to the town board for rezone approval; and where seven (7) did and where five (5) spoke in total support of the project.

While the project neighbors have standing and a voice in the determination of project approval, one neighbor spoke and claimed that as the project was in her backyard she had more standing than residents that lived several miles away and just travelled the road. It behooves this board to consider the well being (safety) and quality of life of every Lancaster resident using this already overburdened two-lane road, as well as the residents of the Hamlet of Bowmansville and the town of Clarence.

Lastly, the rezone petitioner appeared before the board at the last meeting and requested a public hearing take place before a SEQR was held. It was mentioned that time and money could be saved by him if the board were to determine that a rezone was not to be approved. Despite the project’s downsizing and claptrap of his traffic study, this project does not fit the character of the neighborhood or the tenants of the Lancaster Comprehensive Plan and rezone should be denied as recommended by the Town Planning Board.

In addition, the newly presented concept drawing does not indicate where the access roads are, but does indicate on the drawing “patio’ lots for single-family type homes to be constructed. There are enough questionable issues and statements made by the applicant reps to warrant returning this back to the Town Planning Board for further review and they’re determination and recommendation. This is another 'the check is in the mail presentation'.

This should not be about developer and the town profiting (tax revenue) from a project that requires a rezone that flies in the face of the Comprehensive Plan, has so many uncertainties regarding wetland disturbance and sewer hook-ups, and is not in the best interest of the community as a whole.

Same old story - just a new twist -

So whats new - Supervisor Fudoli said he was taking the Town in a new direction -

It seems our Town Board is even willing to rearrange long standing past practice and procedure to try and push this project forward - WHY ?

Unbelievably they completely didn't seem to have any further conversation on the ultimate development qualifying question posed by Senior Councilmember/Planning Board Liaison Donna Stempniak asked, "whether the units have interior corridors where there are no outside doors to the individual units"

Well as far as development goes the only thing new with this project is Councilmember/Planning Board Rep Donna Stempniak didn't use the old excuse - "This was already in the pipeline - we cant stop them we could be sued" - OH wait - there's still time for that - my bad !

But they did sort of bring out the old road condition stand by - "Its a County Road - there's nothing we can do - its their job to deal with it" -

At least the developer lines didn't change much - skew the traffic estimates - produce no valid independent traffic study and act like theres other areas worse - so ours wont be so bad !

They will say or "Infer" anything residents want to hear - walking trails - No you misunderstood we meant you can walk any where you want - just wear waders !

Blasting in the stone quarry - no that's the 12noon lunch whistle. Just ignore it - like the 18million gallons of water discharged into Ellicott creek yearly by them.

A bit of past Lancaster construction info - many homes built in this area have plaster/cement walls with metal mess lath - they recognized 50 years ago the blasting causes damage - the shock waves are felt for miles -Building Inspector Simme will say anything he's supposed to say.

The totally amazing part to many people is - for once - in a vary long time our Planning Board spoke out and recommended the Town Board deny this development - actually twice on this same piece of land. Not to mention inadequate sewer capacity - water line issues and lime stone dust hazards and traffic issues.

Last edited by 4248; July 25th, 2014 at 02:01 AM.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Or how about, "that's the first I heard about it..." Or, "you should do your homework.." Ruffino you're funny. Approve the project and in a few years the board will be flooded with concerns from residents.

They need to use their head and utilize the "projection plan option" by looking into the future as to how this possible development will impact the community as a whole. A prime example to reflect on my statement is the airport. Don't approve projects knowing that down the road issues of great magnitude will arise.

I have been impressed with the direction the planning board has taken.

You all in Lancaster crack me up - too funny!
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

People keep missing a big point in all this -

The senior Town Board Council Member/Planning Board Liaison D.Stempniak has approved more rezones and projects than anyone else on the Board - historic fact.

She has a documented history of faux concern and at hearings asking totally irrelevant questions and then voting "Yes" - its how she has been reelected so many times.

She has actually acted as the Liaison to concerned taxpayers groups - usually to get inside - learn their weaknesses and then allow the developer to dance around them. She has never once actually voted on the side of those people she was liaison for - Fact Based reality.

The other Councilmen have acted the same way through out their terms - yet they too get reelected. Councilmember Ruffino & Aquino are investment oriented - for them selves - not for tax payers. They both are full time development facilitators - why would they worry about what happens down the road for taxpayers ?

These people thrive on campaign funds - not tax payers best interests. They are reelected by the members of Lancaster's tax funded employee Dem Committee. They Control every tax funded job, appointment, position - why should they worry if the majority of home owning tax payers don't care ?

There's no accountability/repercussions for their actions - they will cater to those who support them. As long as that's the reality - nothing changes.

Supervisor Fudoli is becoming comfortable - maybe their wearing him down - Its easy to see how their walking him right into being "Compromised" -

Time will tell just what direction this Town is going in - one thing seems sad though - not much has truly changed yet.

If transparency means you see it coming - mission accomplish.

Good Luck Mr.Fudoli.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    You all in Lancaster crack me up - too funny!
    I am glad all of us in Lancaster 'crack' you up, Frank. Perhaps you can share the humor by telling us what is so amusing. I think I have a fairly good sense of humor, that is, when something is found to be humorous. I seem to be missing the humor involved in this thread, that is except for the BS fed to the residents of Harris Hill Road by the builder and his hired guns.

Clue us in as I believe you are a Planning Board member in your community; as you once alluded to in a post.

The humor is this: like taking endless hours to post this stuff on an internet forum makes one iota of difference. Just fulfills "the need." Wide spectrum glasses on, causes one to see the humor of it all. Well maybe not humor, you said that word, my "crack up" really meant snicker. Sorry....
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Frank - your wrong on this one friend !

It does make a difference - it forces them to at least cross one more T - and dot one more I. It expose's what's been hidden from view for far to long.

If what's done here didn't make one iota of difference - you wouldn't be here - they wouldn't care or read what's here.

It does educate some - confirm the suspicions of others - and If those who abuse and take money and favors can still hold their heads up knowing others know they are frauds - then so be it !

Change will start to take hold when enough people stand up to the lies and denounce them to their face - when tax payers spit the lies they (the abusers/entitled) create right back at them and make them own it.

At first there was only a handful even willing to admit the problems - not just in our Town - but in our Government. What part will you play ?

Hey Frank:

Why do some people spend so much time and effort in gathering information and data and putting it on this site when most likely nothing will come of it, because they are sick and tired in seeing how the town was developed in the past regarding the wanton destruction of valuable wetlands and green-space and in the town's not accommodating for town growth with improvements to roads and infrastructure. I was hoping to see change, but...

It is unfortunate that the media in town, and too often the Buffalo Snooze, take no time to do an investigative report and just print what was spoon fed to them from the town board, developers and/or slick attorneys.

Case in point was the report written in the Lancaster Sun that gave 95% of the ink to the developer and neighbors supporting the rezone project concept – neighbors who sold out to support the developer because they drank the Kool Aid that the project:

• Is no more dense and/or had less significant adverse impacts associated with it than a single-family residence subdivision it is zoned for

• They can use the same amenities (club house, pool, tennis court, greenhouse, walk-able community(into the wetlands where their dogs can romp and drop waste)

I was the only singled out as opposing this rezone when in fact several others brought concerns forward on sewer issues and improvements needed (& cost), increased traffic count and where no road improvements will be made, issues related with a stone quarry located ¼ mile away, added demand on fire and ambulance service, wetland disturbance, and more.

What was most disturbing is that when Supervisor Fudoli asked the board if they had any questions of the applicant, there was only one inane question on whether the units would be connected by inside corridors.

This hearing was supposed to be about land use and whether the project fit the requirements of the Comprehensive Plan and zoning ordinance in place. Reducing the density is a smoke and mirror attempt to deceive town board members and neighbors alike that this project is equal to or a better fit in than developing the site as a single-family subdivision. Well, the neighbors bought into it and the promise of use of the amenities closed the deal.

The neighbors bought into supporting this rezone most likely not understanding that if this rezone is denied there will be no single-family subdivision; the project would be too costly. There would be the like chance the land would remain undeveloped.

I wonder if the neighbors have any idea how they were misled by the applicant with his density claim and traffic volume. He reduces the number of apartments from 175 to 150 on 9 acres of land and will use the other nine acres for single-family homes. He claims that because it is a senior apartment complex the volume of traffic would be near the same as if the site were developed as R-1 and where by his own words admits the 18 acres of developable land (20 acres of wetlands on site) could only have 50-60 houses developed on the site.

He then uses the entire 38 acres of total land (legally) to come up with a density use of 4.6 units per acre and claims that is near what is allowed in R-1 zoning (3.5 dwelling units per acre). At 3.5 units per acre, 38 acres, maximum build-out of single-family dwellings (SFD) would be 133 homes. But only 18 acres of land are buildable on and that says max SFD comes in at 63. After infrastructure, etc, builder is right in estimating a SFD build-out of 50-60 homes. But the applicant’s traffic study indicates that because it is a senior complex (age 55 and over) the amount of traffic from either development is pretty much the same. 150 apartments + 9 SFD = 60 SFD. Do you believe that BS? Well the neighbors did; or was it the amenities that sold them?

The rezone applicant finally mentions something about a stone quarry being nearby; but not to worry about the blasting that takes place because the apartment complex will not have a basement and if the noise and dust bothers the apartment dwellers it is much easier for them to move than it would be for an R-1 homeowner. But what about the 9 lots are there for SFD?

And the rezone petitioner openly admits it would be a tough sell to get 50-60 SFD homeowners to buy there- especially if there were no turning lane or signalization added.

The rezone applicant tells the neighbors they will have equal opportunity to walk themselves or their dogs in the 20 acres of wetland behind the complex. He promises a walkway and later changes the claim to ‘up to the wetland’. I am sure the DEC may have something to say about people traipsing in the wetland. But the neighbors bought that; or is it the amenities.
    I obtained a copy of the new concept drawing; scale of 1” = 80 feet. It must be a pretty rough drawing because the building setback is nowhere near the 470 feet the engineer claimed. The distance to the wetland adjacent area (buffer zone) is approximately 500 feet west of Harris Hill and the wetland heads west approximately another 400 feet. It was never established how the neighbors would access the wetland and whether the occupants of the apartments or the 9 SFD homeowners would look kindly on this intrusion of the amenities they are paying for. Rent for a two apartment bedroom is set at $1,400 per month.

There are little notations along the SFD that say ‘patio’. Will the nine lots be developed as patio homes and eligible for tax breaks by Condominium Law 339-y (35-40% tax breaks on town/county/school taxes)? Will the senior apartment complex be eligible for an IDA?

So many questions and concerns were asked by residents or went unasked because residents had no concept plan in front of them to review. The point is the town board asked zip. But then again, he board didn’t have to. This hearing was on land use; comprehensive plan and zoning. The applicant's presentation was all fluff; and the media let him get away with it.

But the rezone applicant appeared to not only snow the project neighbors with their presentation on matters that should go SEQR and back to the Planning board for their review and recommendation before the town board makes a determination on rezone status.

Hopefully, I am reading the tea leaves incorrectly regarding town board feelings on the matter. The town board declared at an earlier meeting that they were putting the cart before the horse in having the public hearing before the SEQR because there was a chance the rezone would be denied (as recommended by the planning board) and there would be no need for a SEQR or for the rezone petitioner to spend more money in pursuing project studies, permits, etc.

According to a traffic study performed by the Greater Buffalo-Niagara Transportation Committee in 2011, there were at that time 15,360 vehicles travelling Harris Hill Road between Wherle and Genesee Street. That is 2,000 more vehicles than was listed for William Street in a GBNTRC study done in 2010. The road was overburdened then and is now even more so with the development that has taken place in the northeast section of town.

This rezone does not deserve to be approved just because it is a less dense project than the one earlier presented. It still fails to meet the smell test. This project is not in the best interest of the community as a whole. For a change, it does seem nice to see a little green-space in a town that has allowed developers to wantonly destroy and/or fill in valuable wetlands, fill every possible nook-and cranny with development, and all for the sake of developer profit and town revenue.

No one is anti development, but at the same time smart growth principles should prevail. “Gee, if this rezone doesn’t get approved the land may not be developed because it would not be fiscally viable for a developer,” is not my idea of smart growth. “This is a better fit than nothing,” should not be the town’s idea of smart growth.

Why would you only have one entrance when you have two separate access points to Harris Hill Rd?

Where will the entrance be at the north end closer to the intersection or at the south end?

Engineer Jeff Sudol indicated that the senior residents could turn left onto Harris Hill to avoid the heavy traffic near Genesee St. Turning left isn't that easy near that intersection.

So much traffic and elderly drivers and no signalization. YIKES!!!

Attorney Jeffrey Palumbo stated, " If you read the Comprehensive Plan section regarding residents and public services, the number one goal is to assure the safe, affordable housing of all residents.

$1,400 per month isn't affordable for this senior.

Georgia L Schlager

Once again this also shows the lack of communication between the Planning Board and Town Board Members.
    Because the Liaison isn't doing her job!

The one person responsible for that communication is Senior Town Council Member/Planning Board Liaison D. Stempniak. Her title is "Liaison to the Planning Board" - why isn't she reporting changes to the project to the Town Board - why doesn't she see the projects hollow promises and incorrect figures during public Town Board Presentations ?

Why is she the one who approves almost all rezones - votes to approve every project she is supposed to monitor at the planning stages?

Also why didn't the Towns Engineer or Building inspector speak up ? - they are supposed to review and verify each and every aspect of this development as it pertains to their job. Why do they seem to always facilitate the developer - yet never speak up when incorrect/misleading information is offered by the developers ?

A public project review isn't supposed to be a open sales pitch session - its supposed to be used to verify and discuss project plans and show how corrections will be made to known problems/issues - this so the project sponsor can show how it fits into intended land use and the Towns Growth plans - this isn't the case here.

Our Town Hall Controlling Members have been selling our Towns Green space for votes for so long -
    they obviously lost the ability to stop selling themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    While five Harris Hill Road spoke in full support of Natale’s rezone application to rezone 38 acres of Residential District One (R-1) property at 375 & 391 Harris Hill Road to Multi-Family District Four (MFR-4) zoning for the purpose of constructing a 150 unit senior apartment complex and 9 single-family homes, two Harris Hill Rod residents had reservations, three residents raised concerns, and one recommended rezone denial.

A 390 Harris Hill Road resident who lives directly across the street from the project declared she was sitting on the fence. Doesn’t know what the right answer to this is. Traffic, sewers and quarry are issues. Behooves the town board to use their wisdom when making a determination and how this project will affect the future. I am not fighting progress but I am asking that all parties work together.

The resident living at 394 Harris Hill Road claimed that she could set her clock at noon everyday to coincide with the stone quarry blasting that takes place near the project location. She declared that her house has suffered foundation damage. The dust from the stone quarry comes right across Harris Hill into her backyard as well.

Resident Don Symer spoke on a Sewer District Four meeting he had recently attended. He had asked on the sewer system that is located on Harris Hill Road between Wherle Drive and Genesee Street. He was told that the current sewer pipe was two inches in diameter and was only buried two feet below ground. He added that individual homes have grinders in the line that are pressurized. The existing system currently is at max capacity right now. A sewer district official said a larger pipe size is required and would need to be installed deeper in the ground. The length of sewer line needed to connect to the main at Genesee Street and with a gas line present makes this a costly project.

Respectfully, I assume that the assurances that the town board members were given tonight, namely that the sewer costs would be picked up by the petitioner, and not the taxpayer, should this project move forward. Symer mentioned that he had heard nothing on the viability of the water lines knowing the demand for water will increase.
    Respectfully, I offer these considerations to the town board.

Paul Grabowski informed the board that there is a Volunteer Fire Hall that takes care of all the residents living along Harris Hill Road. “I don’t know how much more we can get involved here,” declared Grabowski. “That is one concern the board has to keep in mind. I’m not for this. There is going to be an increase of traffic, sorry to say. If it gets approved, fine, but I think you should look at the fire halls.”

Resident Mike Fronczak

You (petitioner) talk about putting in walkways in wetlands. Can you put walkways in State regulated wetlands? I didn’t think so.

Attorney Jeff Palumbo: We didn’t say walkways in wetlands.

Fronczak: You mentioned walking dogs…

Supervisor Dino Fudoli: You can walk in wetlands; you can’t put trails in wetlands.

Fronczak: Is that a feasible thing to be telling people they can walk in wetlands when there are no trails or bridges to cross standing water areas?

Fudoli: I can’t answer that question for the developer but I can refer it to Town Engineer Bob Harris.

Harris: They would have to go to the DEC for approval for what they want to do. I assume they haven’t had a chance to talk to them yet. This is a possibility, not a given.

Fronczak: Well, the residents should know this may not be a possibility to walk into and disturb a wetland.

Councilman Mark Aquino: There isn’t always water in a wetland; there are times when there is no water.

Fronczak: Does Mr. Natale own this property.

Fudoli: I believe he has a contingency contract in place based on development approval.

Fronczak: One thing I have seen happen in Lancaster is that we develop the structures first and then put in the infrastructure later. I don’t care if you put one more car on this road either from developing single-family homes or if it’s multi-family use, how is one ever to make a left turn into or out of this complex without a signal, or even a turning lane? It is near impossible now not only at traffic peak hours but at other times of the day as well?

Fudoli: That are not denying it’s busy there, but Transit Road is ten times busier and I have property there where there is no signal and they make turns there all the time.

Fronczak: I am not against the development but I want to make sure we do our homework before we rezone again, and we know how many times that has happened in this town, and that the infrastructure is in place before we made the move on the development.

Fudoli: It’s a county road.

Fronczak: There we go again. We are going to have a scapegoat. It will be like hearing the same thing as on William Street and where the residents petitioned for road improvements and all they heard was that it’s a county road and the town couldn’t do anything about it.

Fudoli: It’s a county road and there is nothing the town can do to control it.

Fronczak: So as someone that has been travelling this road for 15 years I will be hung up even more when heading north by someone trying to make a left into this complex where there is no signal or turning lane.

Fudoli: Actually the state grants signalization and turning lanes; county road or not.

Resident Lee Chowaniec

I agree with the recommendation made by the Town of Lancaster Planning Board to the Town Board on May 21. 2014 to deny rezone of this project based on their findings and other:

• The project does not fit the character of the neighborhood (Hamlet of Bowmansville)

• The project will exacerbate the traffic situation on Harris Hill Road and will impact traffic on Genesee Street in Bowmansville and the Town of Clarence. Considering Clarence’s proximity, the traffic study should be presented to Clarence for their review and comment.

• Increase in density. The proposed rezoning and high-density development are not in compliance with the Town’s Comprehensive Plan. This rezone hearing is supposed to be about land use, as you told me at the last meeting. The Future Land Use Map from the Town of Lancaster, Village of Lancaster, and Village of Depew Comprehensive Plan of February 2000 identifies the property in question as an area where low-density housing should be located. The Comprehensive Plan was last updated in 2000 and since that time Lancaster has been handing out rezones and rezones of rezones like candy. It’s time to stop or re-evaluate the Comprehensive Plan.

• Except for a notation from the Erie County Department of Public Works I have heard no mention of the fact that there is a Limestone Rock quarry within ¼ mile of the project site; until tonight. The county raises potential risk concerns to the public and the dwelling structures. Will the blasting operations to mine the rock cause problems with the foundations of these buildings? Within Erie County there are other active quarries that existed before the surrounding areas were built up. Residents within these areas now want the quarries shut down due to health risks, noise, dust, and truck traffic. Will the Town of Lancaster be causing future problems by allowing additional residential land use in this area?

Supervisor Fudoli: Stop right there. Jeff (Simme – Building Inspector), do we have on record people that have structural damages from the quarry?

Simme: Not that I am aware of. (Yet one Harris Hill resident spoke out that she did).

Chowaniec: That’s not relevant here as I know of many instances in different subdivisions where homeowners are suffering basement or other structural damages and will not come forward for fear of devaluing their property.

I am hearing tonight from Natale reps that the land to be rezoned is for 38 acres, yet on the application to the Planning Board it was for 32 acres. Which is?

Palumbo: 38 acres. There was some confusion as to whether or not the entire parcel would be rezoned or not. It is and includes the single-family home construction.

Density/Traffic

Chowaniec: So if this were about land use, this project would be denied as it was for a previous developer who had applied for a rezone to construct a 262 apartment complex.

But this developer, as others have done before have done, meets with neighboring residents a little over a week ago and convinces them the project concept is now less dense as it has been reduced from 175 senior apartments to 150 - but still with 9 single-family lots to be developed; and that as it is a senior complex there would be less traffic than if it were developed as intended in the Comprehensive Plan, as a 50-60 single-family subdivision.

I find that reasoning presumptuous, unsubstantial and based on supporting the developers self-serving agenda to get this property rezoned. The project site is located on 38 acres. The number of maximum homes allowed in a Residential District One (R-I) = 3.5 dwelling units max per acre per town zoning code. That would allow for max build-out for 133 single-family homes. In their own presentation the petitioner rezone reps declare at least half the land is comprised of a state regulated wetland and as such would only allow for a 50-60 single family home build out. The DEC might permit building in the wetland adjacent area (buffer area) but not in the wetland.

And somehow the developer has convinced the Harris Hill Road neighbors that a 150 senior apartment complex with 9 single-family dwellings would bring no more, maybe even less traffic, than a 50- 60 R-1 single-family development. Seriously?

The developer has reduced the density because of the wetlands and declares that because of his now less dense project he does not need the installation of a signal or a turning lane. No need for road improvements for the future senior apartment dwellers, the neighbors and the Harris Hill Road travelers. Hey, the neighbors get use of facility amenities. If this project were denied rezone, it is my opinion that nothing would be built there as the development of a 50-60 R-1 single-family subdivision would not be financially profitable.

Seniors and traffic

The age 55 and over apartment dwellers are well in today’s working age. Seniors 70 and over can be found in today’s workplace. Those seniors that are not working are not the stay-at-home seniors of yesterday. Being one of them and living in a townhouse complex with like demographics, vehicles are traveling in and out of the complex at the same rate of single-family subdivisions. As for traffic volume and traffic control systems in place, there are none. I live along William Street and would not want to see anyone suffer same broken promises and unintended consequences that have taken place here.

The developer met with the neighbors, told them different on the potential traffic impacts, misled them on volume count between the senior apartment complex and a single-family development, promised the neighboring residents use of the developed project amenities; pool, tennis court, etc, and asked them to submit letters of recommendation to the town board for rezone approval; and where seven (7) did and where five (5) spoke in total support of the project.

While the project neighbors have standing and a voice in the determination of project approval, one neighbor spoke and claimed that as the project was in her backyard she had more standing than residents that lived several miles away and just travelled the road. It behooves this board to consider the well being (safety) and quality of life of every Lancaster resident using this already overburdened two-lane road, as well as the residents of the Hamlet of Bowmansville and the town of Clarence.

Lastly, the rezone petitioner appeared before the board at the last meeting and requested a public hearing take place before a SEQR was held. It was mentioned that time and money could be saved by him if the board were to determine that a rezone was not to be approved. Despite the project’s downsizing and claptrap of his traffic study, this project does not fit the character of the neighborhood or the tenants of the Lancaster Comprehensive Plan and rezone should be denied as recommended by the Town Planning Board.

In addition, the newly presented concept drawing does not indicate where the access roads are, but does indicate on the drawing “patio’ lots for single-family type homes to be constructed. There are enough questionable issues and statements made by the applicant reps to warrant returning this back to the Town Planning Board for further review and they’re determination and recommendation. This is another 'the check is in the mail presentation'.

This should not be about developer and the town profiting (tax revenue) from a project that requires a rezone that flies in the face of the Comprehensive Plan, has so many uncertainties regarding wetland disturbance and sewer hook-ups, and is not in the best interest of the community as a whole.
    Apparently Karen Robinson left the room when the opposition was presented.

From today's Buffalo News -
    A public hearing was held two weeks ago to gauge public interest in the project and it received favorable reviews. The apartments would rent for market rates.

Georgia L Schlager

In the Buffalo News ‘Where we live: Lancaster’ section it was reported:

An environmental review of the retooled senior apartments project proposed for 375 and 391 Harris Hill Road is scheduled for Monday during a joint meeting of the Town and Planning boards.
    The meeting begins at 6 p.m. in Town Hall, 21 Central Ave.

Natale Builders needs the parcel rezoned for the project, which calls for 150 senior apartments on 18 acres. The current zoning is single-family residential; the project requires multi-family residential 4 – the highest density.

An additional 20 acres of the site are wetlands.

A public hearing was held two weeks ago to gauge public interest in the project and it received favorable reviews. The apartments would rent for market rates.

The developer also is looking to build nine single-family homes on the site, although it’s not yet known if they would be patio homes with a private road.

Considering there were five neighboring residents who spoke in favor of the project and where six Lancaster residents who travel Harris Hill regularly either openly opposed the project or brought up potential significant adverse impacts with the rezone, how does the News reporter come up with the project receiving favorable reviews; and especially when the assigned Lancaster News reporter was not present?

The favorable reviews came from project neighbors that were convinced by the developer that this 150 apartment complex + 9 single-family home development would bring no more traffic to Harris Hill than a 50-60 home development as is allowed by current R-1 zoning. And it did not hurt that the developer promised to allow the Harris Hill neighbors the use of ll the apartment complex amenities – pool, tennis court, club house, greenhouse use, and a walkway and stroll into the 20 acres of state regulated wetlands.

There will be 500-600 vehicles added to the already overburdened two-lane Harris Hill Road. And there is only one access road into the apartment complex and no signalization or turning lane at the access point. What could go wrong?

It will be interesting to see if the ‘new concept’ plan meets with the approval of the planning board who recommended denial of the original 275 apartment complex based on other factors than density.

I would think that since they denied Bella Vista, they probably will deny Natalie. The project does not make sense on many levels. I'd like to think that the board is smart enough to get that.

If the planning board is smart enough to recommend denial again, will the town board be smart enough too?

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information