Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bill Maher Slams Militarized Police Culture In America

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    I disagree.

You never know what is going to happen when delivering a warrant. Always side with caution.

Here is the problem.

If a cop is killed. That makes the news.
    If a cop kills someone. That makes the news.
    If a criminal tries to kill a cop. *crickets*

What most people don't understand is just how far the underbelly goes. It really does not matter if it's in a city or the burbs...there is a % of the population that are really nothing more than animals. They have no regard for life. As long as these people exist, I have no problem with police treating every instance as if it was with this %.

Like I said before..82 people were shot and 14 killed in A SINGLE DAY in Chicago. Not much news coverage on that. Animals.
    Out of over 300000000 people in the U.S., it's nothing new in the human history of man. People have always killed, do, and will. Accept this reality.

The cops have become such a problem and threat, there needs to be less of them. They go around looking for things to find wrong. And if there isn't any, they are taught to find something wrong. And mostly to collect revenue, not serve and protect. What they protect are those in power who make the laws.

Cut police forces by 80% and make them on call like volunteer fireman. None of this driving around looking for money, starting trouble, invading peoples privacy, harassing.

No victim, no crime.
    Democrats Against UN Agenda 21 - Democrats Against UN Agenda 21

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    And mostly to collect revenue, not serve and protect.
    {{Cough cough}} Tonawanda......
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Out of over 300000000 people in the U.S., it's nothing new in the human history of man. People have always killed, do, and will. Accept this reality.

The cops have become such a problem and threat, there needs to be less of them. They go around looking for things to find wrong. And if there isn't any, they are taught to find something wrong. And mostly to collect revenue, not serve and protect. What they protect are those in power who make the laws.

Cut police forces by 80% and make them on call like volunteer fireman. None of this driving around looking for money, starting trouble, invading peoples privacy, harassing.

No victim, no crime.

heh.

I have always found a couple of common traits with people who share this view:

1 - They have had issues with LE due to their own personal actions in the past. Grudges are hard to let go.
    2 - They live in an area where crime is so low and really have no idea what the other side looks like and are naive enough to suggest LE is not needed.
    3 - They live in an area with high crime because they can't afford any better and/or they are currently a criminal and want less eyes on them.

Not sure which one you are.

As for 'people get killed..accept this reality'...I'm guessing that if something were to happen to you or your loved one you would not bother to call the police and simply accept it. Right?

Things I've notice about people like Lefty:

They were or are Law Enforcement people.
    They were properly indoctrinated by the system.
    They live on a different mental level than average normal people.
    They retire to some safe place and lecture those who don't.

Lefty - do you still have your bumper sticker:

Pay Cops like your life depends on it
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post

Actually he is a very cogent, intelligent poster.

No.

I have stated several times before I have multiple family members and friends who are in LE. I have been told things that never make the news. I am also one of the most vocal critics of LE pensions.
    I not retired but I do pay more to live in a safer place.
    I don't fear the police as I don't need to. If I do get a ticket, it's because I did something wrong. I pay it and move on with my live.

Here is the thing that most dim light bulbs never get.

Murders are really the only stat that gets on the news. Most people never read about the teen who was gang raped. They don't read about the store owner who was beaten to a pulp with crowbar for $50. They don't even care to know about who can only deal with his miserable life by using his wife as a punching bag. Oh..and those are hardly reported and added to the numbers. People like this were or are guilty of these crimes or come from such a trashy background someone in their family is.

As for the comment by HipKat about a simple pot smoker...sure there are some people who like to hit a joint after a hard weeks of work and these people are harmless. But for every 1 of these people, there is 20 who choose drugs over their kids well-being. After the 5th or 6th time you enter a house and see kids living in squalor, seeing orange juice has been replaced with orange drink and the fridge is empty except for beer...you start to see the 'other half' a little bit differently.

Anyways, I stand by my previous claim. Most people who have an issue with LE..really have an issue with themselves. It's ok. Not everyone can be a winner.

Personally I agree with some of what you posted - almost - some times.

Yes maybe we don't hear about crime against Cops - but that too is a job situation they themselves have taken on. I too lived/worked in a similar environment. I don't dislike the majority of LE people - there's a percentage that need mental examines though. They get twisted by the day to day/day after day muck they deal with. One of my uncles best buds was a Cop - he retired by gun.(over 50 years ago)

The new gen seems to take things to far when it gets personal - not speaking of confrontations - just a lack of understanding and a quick temper. They seem to escalate things rather than defuse as the old timers used to.

I saw a Cop in 1985 talk a guy off a roof - it was a six story building - the guy knew he did wrong and was going to jail. This Cop sat about five feet away from the man and talked to him for two hours. The guy was so afraid that he had ruined his life - he said he'd rather die and end it.

In the end the Cop talked him out of it - he promised to sit in Burger King with the guy and have a cup of coffee with him before taking him in. Three Cops was all it took - no swat team - no dogs - no media - just one Cop who cared. They walked across the street together - no handcuffs and had coffee. Then hand cuffed and respectfully taken into custody. That never gets much media either.

Point being - if you keep treating every person you meet on duty as a potential life threat or scum bag - that's what you get. When a Cop arrests you because hes upset you took his picture or when he screams at you to leave the area and you didn't move fast enough - just because he says so - that's wrong. Yet they have learned to layer charges to cover their asses. That's wrong and his Boss should act on it or watch that Cop turn into one angry person.

Giving these same guys armor - machine guns and the right to act like storm troopers creates the storm trooper mentality.

I served voluntarily in the US Army - fire fighter for 29 years and saw too many cases of over reaction - but - if your his partner and you disagree - your taught to be a Team Player - its US against Them. We are them - we are us.

Last point I do have a problem with myself - I covered a friend who was a alcoholic - he's dead now. I watched a Cop bounce a guys head off the side walk - I should have reported him. I saw a Cop slap the sheets out of a kid for knocking over a garbage can - I should have reported him, he left the force before he reached retirement age. Maybe if I spoke out they could have gotten help!
    Last edited by 4248; July 25th, 2014 at 01:17 PM.

Personally I agree with some of what you posted - almost - some times.

Yes maybe we don't hear about crime against Cops - but that too is a job situation they themselves have taken on. I too lived/worked in a similar environment. I don't dislike the majority of LE people - there's a percentage that need mental examines though. They get twisted by the day to day/day after day muck they deal with. One of my uncles best buds was a Cop - he retired by gun.(over 50 years ago)

The new gen seems to take things to far when it gets personal - not speaking of confrontations - just a lack of understanding and a quick temper. They seem to escalate things rather than defuse as the old timers used to.

I saw a Cop in 1985 talk a guy off a roof - it was a six story building - the guy knew he did wrong and was going to jail. This Cop sat about five feet away from the man and talked to him for two hours. The guy was so afraid that he had ruined his life - he said he'd rather die and end it.

In the end the Cop talked him out of it - he promised to sit in Burger King with the guy and have a cup of coffee with him before taking him in. Three Cops was all it took - no swat team - no dogs - no media - just one Cop who cared. They walked across the street together - no handcuffs and had coffee. Then hand cuffed and respectfully taken into custody. That never gets much media either.

Point being - if you keep treating every person you meet on duty as a potential life threat or scum bag - that's what you get. When a Cop arrests you because hes upset you took his picture or when he screams at you to leave the area and you didn't move fast enough - just because he says so - that's wrong. Yet they have learned to layer charges to cover their asses. That's wrong and his Boss should act on it or watch that Cop turn into one angry person.

Giving these same guys armor - machine guns and the right to act like storm troopers creates the storm trooper mentality.

I served voluntarily in the US Army - fire fighter for 29 years and saw too many cases of over reaction - but - if your his partner and you disagree - your taught to be a Team Player - its US against Them. We are them - we are us.

Last point I do have a problem with myself - I covered a friend who was a alcoholic - he's dead now. I watched a Cop bounce a guys head off the side walk - I should have reported him. I saw a Cop slap the sheets out of a kid for knocking over a garbage can - I should have reported him, he left the force before he reached retirement age. Maybe if I spoke out they could have gotten help!

Here is the thing. Police are not hired for their ability to do the job. They are not hired for having the right 'frame of mind' when it comes to being in LE. They are hired because of how they score on a test. They are hired because of their race or gender.

If people want to have specific character traits for LE...you have to allow LE to hire only those who have those traits.

I can guarantee you this...If a police dept tried to push for this..you can bet your paycheck that the same 'reverends' who complain about brutality would ditch the photo op with the family and start a protest about how their needs to be access to these jobs.

Here is the thing. Police are not hired for their ability to do the job. They are not hired for having the right 'frame of mind' when it comes to being in LE. They are hired because of how they score on a test. They are hired because of their race or gender.

If people want to have specific character traits for LE...you have to allow LE to hire only those who have those traits.

I can guarantee you this...If a police dept tried to push for this..you can bet your paycheck that the same 'reverends' who complain about brutality would ditch the photo op with the family and start a protest about how their needs to be access to these jobs.
    DING DING DING!

We have a winner!

Its called political correctness. It has infiltrated every part of our lives with disasterous results.

Oh and it should be noted, that Detroit used to be a gun free zone, yet has seen a 40% DROP in crime since the police chief has allowed citizens to be armed.

Chicago - is still a gun free zone.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

No victim, no crime.
    STUPIDEST POST EVER!!!!

You, sir, NOT only have your tin-foil hat screwed on too tightly, it's laced with radioactive, enriched uranium that has fried whatever few brain cells you originally had.

TOO F'NG STUPID TO BE BELIEVED!
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

You also stated "I have stated several times before I have multiple family members and friends who are in LE" - Police are not hired for their ability to do the job. They are not hired for having the right 'frame of mind' when it comes to being in LE. They are hired because of how they score on a test. They are hired because of their race or gender.
    Is this how you see your friends and family

So, I guess what your saying is the system protects the Police Department from hiring the ones the " 'reverends' start a protest about how their needs to be access to these jobs" Who are "Those people" the reverends are protesting for ? Who would those people be ?

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D View Post
    STUPIDEST POST EVER!!!!

You, sir, NOT only have your tin-foil hat screwed on too tightly, it's laced with radioactive, enriched uranium that has fried whatever few brain cells you originally had.

TOO F'NG STUPID TO BE BELIEVED!
    you need to crawl out from under your rock
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

You also stated "I have stated several times before I have multiple family members and friends who are in LE" - Police are not hired for their ability to do the job. They are not hired for having the right 'frame of mind' when it comes to being in LE. They are hired because of how they score on a test. They are hired because of their race or gender.
    Is this how you see your friends and family

So, I guess what your saying is the system protects the Police Department from hiring the ones the " 'reverends' start a protest about how their needs to be access to these jobs" Who are "Those people" the reverends are protesting for ? Who would those people be ?

You're not very bright.

Sorry did I miss something in your posts - you said your friends and family memebrs who are law enforcement " were hired because of their race or gender" - to be more precise you stated, "Police are not hired for their ability to do the job. They are not hired for having the right 'frame of mind' when it comes to being in LE. They are hired because of how they score on a test. They are hired because of their race or gender"

Isnt that word for word what you posted ? So what did I miss ?

Then you made some vague reference to not wanting "Those people the reverends want to have a chance at those jobs" - don't know - but that had a :hint of rascism - if that's not what you were stating why not explain instead of insult ?

Is that so hard for you to do without insult ?

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    you need to crawl out from under your rock
    Coming from a prominent denizen of the Libertarian Alternative Universe, I take that as a complement.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information