Thread: Lancaster police fitness center, another perk

Lancaster police fitness center, another perk

http://www.communitypapersofwny.com/...keep_fit_.html

How thoughtful and charitable of restaurateur Russ Salvatore to step to the plate and honor a request to help an organization that he finds worthy of donating funds to – in this case to the Lancaster police department for the purchase of four pieces of fitness equipment. According to the Lancaster Sun, and the Lancaster Bee report as well, the gym will be open 24/7 for use and will be another perk for officers who now have fitness center memberships and can save money by cancelling them.

As I see no mention of town involvement in either report, this begs the question as to whether a town department can legally solicit funds on its own to provide a service that does not directly impact its operation. I am sure one can and will say that such activity will better prepare the officer physically to perform his job.

That said, with no town involvement and approval, who covers the liability in the event that during the course of a workout the officer or other police department members get injured or even suffer a fatality?

As the police department is running this operation on its own, has it set in place a written document that mandates that the fitness center user cannot do so during employment hours? Didn’t a municipality recently get sued because a call came in for an officer that was on duty, who was working out at the time, and because of his late response time?

The one report says, “There is minimal open floor space, but there could be small additions to the facility, according to members of the department.”Really; for a fitness center?

Another perk for officers who already drive each other to and from work and get a $1,000 stipend in addition for not putting in for overtime in case of a call in. Then add another dozen perks that include longevity pay, court pay, briefing pay, clothing allowance, no contribution to pension or health insurance, etc. When you look at the salary structure in this department, don’t forget to add another 40% on top of that for the benefits and perks, and then sweeten it with some overtime.

Then add the $10 million that taxpayers are footing for a new police/courts building and shooting range, the annual costs to purchase on average 5 new police cars a year to replace vehicles that have less than 80,000 miles on them, and when residents ask for an accounting on those costs it is near impossible, if not impossible, to get an immediate and/or credible response.

Is it any wonder that the police budget for 2014 is $9.58 and has an average annual budget growth rate of 3.55% in the past eleven years; and where the police have not negotiated a new contract in the past 2-1/2 years. In the years preceding 2012 the annual average budget rate increase was 6.5%.

Lastly, throw in the millions wasted in the purchase of the Walden Avenue Colecraft Building purchase to house the police and courts and it becomes obvious that spending in this department is out of control.

They don't drive themselves to work or home from work. They must not be arriving to work prior to their shift start or staying later than their shift to work out. Are they working out during work time or driving their own car in to work during off hours?

Georgia L Schlager

Once again a local business man steps up - thanks Mr.Salvatore - Bravo !

That said - I can see the need for pumped up Officers - the older guys had a habit of doughnut crunching

On the serious side - this is a question as far as are they getting paid to work out ?

It could be a liability - at the vary least a waiver should be signed to hold harmless the Department and Town should injury occur.

Then a written memo/notice that work outs should not occur on Town Time - same with shooting practice. Neither will happen !

Its a shame the Department Heads are creating these tax funded issues. We didn't have all these questions in the past - now a days it seems personal perks are the issue compared to right to work as in days past.

Yes, our police deserve safe and clean work conditions and proper equipment. But where is this going - the taxpayers are constantly being told the Politicians are doing the best they can to hold the line on spending. In this case the equipment was donated - but that actually opens the door to other issues.

Should tax funded employees get paid to target practice - should tax funded employees get picked up and driven home each day - should tax funded employees get a private work out area paid for by tax payers while on duty ?

What's next - Parks and Recreation/Town Highway Department might want to use the shooting range - maybe they too want to work out - will the Chief allow them to use the Cops facilities - will tax payers fund separate recreational areas for other tax funded employees ?
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Where was Chief Gill during all this? As a lawyer himself, I am surprised he allowed this to happen due to legal ramifications.

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Once again a local business man steps up - thanks Mr.Salvatore - Bravo !

That said - I can see the need for pumped up Officers - the older guys had a habit of doughnut crunching

On the serious side - this is a question as far as are they getting paid to work out ?

It could be a liability - at the vary least a waiver should be signed to hold harmless the Department and Town should injury occur.

Then a written memo/notice that work outs should not occur on Town Time - same with shooting practice. Neither will happen !

Its a shame the Department Heads are creating these tax funded issues. We didn't have all these questions in the past - now a days it seems personal perks are the issue compared to right to work as in days past.

Yes, our police deserve safe and clean work conditions and proper equipment. But where is this going - the taxpayers are constantly being told the Politicians are doing the best they can to hold the line on spending. In this case the equipment was donated - but that actually opens the door to other issues.

Should tax funded employees get paid to target practice - should tax funded employees get picked up and driven home each day - should tax funded employees get a private work out area paid for by tax payers while on duty ?

What's next - Parks and Recreation/Town Highway Department might want to use the shooting range - maybe they too want to work out - will the Chief allow them to use the Cops facilities - will tax payers fund separate recreational areas for other tax funded employees ?
    So. We don't know if the officers are working out on their own time or not, but we will assume they are and post negative comments. We don't know if a liability waiver is required of officers using the facility, but we will challenge the integrity of the Chief, a lawyer apparently, and post negative comments.

That is why this place is so much fun.

Let me know when you have some facts.

b.b.

Great post BB. You took the words right out of my mouth. This board has turned in to nothing but rumors, innuendos and a select few who push their conspiracy-driven agendas. I was hoping for a different forum when I signed up.

I'm surprised that Lee posted what he did, this is something that would be better asked at a town board meeting, his questions as usual are spot on, then posted here with results, I feel would be the best way to handle these questions. Personally, I think it's great that Salvatore did this but let's face it, if the cops needed the equipment I'm sure they have the funds to buy it.

Originally posted by BorderBob:
    So. We don't know if the officers are working out on their own time or not, but we will assume they are and post negative comments. We don't know if a liability waiver is required of officers using the facility
    Maybe, there will be questions regarding those issues at the board meeting tonight. Not that they will have answers.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dmckay716 View Post
    Great post BB. You took the words right out of my mouth. This board has turned in to nothing but rumors, innuendos and a select few who push their conspiracy-driven agendas. I was hoping for a different forum when I signed up.

Not really.

What is the actual issue here? Someone donated some equipment and that's that? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob View Post
    So. We don't know if the officers are working out on their own time or not, but we will assume they are and post negative comments. We don't know if a liability waiver is required of officers using the facility, but we will challenge the integrity of the Chief, a lawyer apparently, and post negative comments.
    That is why this place is so much fun.
    Let me know when you have some facts.
    b.b.
    Look I think posters were beening nice - of course they will use this equiptment on duty - they do pracrice shooting and get paid for it - you know that/we know that. You just are being sacrcastic to inflame the issue.

If there was waivers and memo's with rules of use - if they were denied on duty use - they'd be fighting to get paid to do it. You BB - know dam well because you share the entitlement attitude.

I haven't read anyone here say they don't deserve nice equiptment - no one said they should not have time to target shoot - its just why should every thing be rapped around tax dollars. When did all this personal perk stuff start - where does it end - will other tax funded employees want similar perks?

Tax payers see this stuff and it makes it easy to get up set over it.

We pay for a batting facility , we pay for a target range, we will now provide a work out area, we pay to drive workers to work and home again. We supply free gas for the thinnest of reasons(in Town owned vehicles) - we at times have far to many employees who get paid 40 hours yet most of their time is spent on cell phones.

How many average Town or Village tax payers receive these types of paid perks ?

But people like you want to defend it so you insult people who find it excessive!

People like you are those who believe we shouldn't have the same rights as you do.

Yet its the taxes we all pay that are used to support these things without our input or consideration - If a taxpayer wanted to walk in and use these fascilities they would be denied use. Yet we are forced to pay for them so the entitled ones can use them.

No one as you state "challenged the integrity of the Chief, a lawyer apparently" - yes he's a lawyer, he is the Chief and was the Head of the Union - so what does that have to do with it when a tax payer questions his stand on these issues (accept the batting facility).

It is his job to protect his employees and to make sure no one gets hurt or abuses Town time - or don't you agree.

Last point - you inflame the issue - trash this forum - yet continue to come back and defend the Party Status Quo to which you belong.

Its your right to post your opinions - but if its so bad here - WHY do you keep coming back ?
    Last edited by 4248; July 21st, 2014 at 10:57 AM.
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    I'm surprised that Lee posted what he did, this is something that would be better asked at a town board meeting, his questions as usual are spot on, then posted here with results, I feel would be the best way to handle these questions. Personally, I think it's great that Salvatore did this but let's face it, if the cops needed the equipment I'm sure they have the funds to buy it.
    The reason Lee posted the opening thread on the fitness center equipment donation by Russ Salvatore was obviously to ask why the town board was not involved in the process and whether the transaction was done legally and to the satisfaction of the town. Since the fitness room had been in operation since June 27th and was shut down last Friday, there had to be some underlying reason why it was. As I am only allowed five minutes to address the board and my comments were on another matter, it was hoped another individual would seek answers on the matter. And someone did.

After claiming reading in the media and on the Internet about the fitness room and purchase of fitness equipment by Russ Salvatore, resident Mike Fronczak questioned the town board on exactly where the exercise room was to be located. Told it was to be in the upper floor of the new safety building and where that design was always part of the plans. Fronczak replied that it was his understanding it would be in the police shooting range facility. Several other attendees understood the same as Fronczak. Supervisor Fudoli asked Police Chief Gill whether the weight room was always targeted in the plans for the police building and Chief Gill affirmed it was.

Fronczak then asked whether the transaction met legal requirements in the fact that the donation went directly to the police department – PBA. “We are ironing out the details right now,” replied Fudoli. “That’s all I can answer for the present.”

Fronczak: Will all town employees be able to use this room? Or just police officers?

Fudoli: For now, just police officers, as far as I know.

Fronczak; Well, you are the Town Supervisor. You should know.

Fudoli: We are working on a deal right now. But as far as I know there were only two police officers involved in the deal struck and we (town board) will be talking to police officers (Executive Session) to iron out a deal to make sure that everything is in place.

Fronczak: So we don’t know any answers but we have a facility that is already open and in operation.

Fudoli: The town board temporarily closed down the facility last Friday. It will be closed until we get an agreement in place.

Fronczak: Are you saying that it will probably only be for the police or for everyone?

Fudoli: I said I don’t know. It is certainly not big enough for 200 employees to use. It’s that simple.

Police Chief Gill interjected that for clarification it is a separate entity and not related to the administration of the police department.

Fudoli: Right, not paid for with taxpayer money.

Fronczak: I read in the paper he (Salvatore) donated the equipment and so forth.

Chief Gill reiterated that the recipient was the Lancaster PBA.

Fronczak: I don’t have a problem with the weight room and that we want our officers physically fit because I have concerns if we expand this to all town employees and where the bottom line is that I have to pay for it.

Fudoli: The equipment was donated to the PBA. The facility is not large enough in size to accommodate 200 employees.

Fronczak: Reading in the papers and on the Internet that the facility will be open 24/7, one has to ask whether we will be running a health club here. It seemed more than you are saying when the media said the police could now quit their gym memberships.

Fudoli: Police officers work three shifts and it will be used 24/7.

Fronczak: Police officers now get picked up and delivered back home by other officers in patrol cars. How are they going to get to the fitness room? Or will they be able to work out during work hours.

After someone remarked, “In their own cars,” Fudoli added that police officers are welcome to work out at other times and drive their own cars to the facility if need be.

Councilman John Abraham interjected that this is common in other police departments.

Council member Donna Stempniak added that this fitness room project had always been in the original plans.

Comments:

• The town board had to have a sound reason to shut the facility down until an ‘agreement’ was reached with the police.
    • No definitive answers were given regarding restrictions on facility use; whether officers could be using the facility during working hours, etc.
    • No mention was made of liability coverage and the facility has been in use for over three weeks. I assume that will be covered in tonight’s Executive Session.

But hey, despite no town board involvement in the process, despite the sudden closing of the fitness room, a lot of I don’t know answers at the board meeting, and no indication of liability coverage, those pain in the ass residents have no right to raise concerns and ask questions.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Chief Gill reiterated that the recipient was the Lancaster PBA.
    When did our town police facility become a union hall?

Georgia L Schlager

In the year ending 12/31/2012, the Cayuga Club PBA had net assets of $124,011 according to their 990-EZ form. That would seem to be enough to pay rent somewhere to put their exercise equipment and hold other union activities.

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocument...9718d3f-ZO.pdf

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information