Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gabryszak is done; who will replace him?

This from the Buffalo News about monies Gabryszak was suppose to get for the locals -
    Many local officials in Lancaster, though, are worried about Gabryszak’s funding promises, now that he is gone. One promise was $250,000 for a West Main Street extension project.

“This is an economic development project that needs to continue,” said Jeffrey Stribing, Lancaster village community and economic development director. “I have phone calls in to Albany to make sure this money doesn’t get lost,” Stribing said.

Another project possibly at risk is $16,000 in state aid for the first phase of the Bryce Buchholz skate and bike park.

“I do have concerns about it. If the state doesn’t come through, we’ll have to make up the difference,” said Bill Buchholz, Bryce’s father, on Tuesday. “We’ll have to figure out a way.”

Before Gabryszak resigned, Lancaster School Superintendent Michael Vallely said his office was in talks with the lawmaker about money for improvements to the Hillview Elementary School playground. “We hope those conversations can continue with the state,’’ he said.
    http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...ation-20140114

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    That went right over your lawyer head didn't it....

They made a commitment to be on our town board. I personally didn't vote for someone who would get elected and hop up to the next available election position
    A town officer properly may be a candidate for member of the Assembly and if elected to that office may continue to hold a town office. 1959 NY Ops Atty Gen Oct 9 (informal).
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Lee, I know this was directed to nogods. I understand he could not keep his municipal attorney positions but I do not think that it is a conflict of interest that this past year he has been legal counsel in the harassment case. Hodgson & Russ would assign someone else wouldn't they, if Swiatek were elected?
    I don't see any connection between the two.

What if Gabby had run someone over with his car? Do you think an attorney representing the person gabby ran over would be prohibited from running for office because of some sort of conflict?

Under what provision of what law or code or regulation do you perceive such a rule to exist?

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I agree, Lee but have to admit that I have not heard of any of the women state assemblymen or state senators being put before their ethics committee. When they get to the national level, it's a different story.
    Where I used to hold women to a higher standard than men, having more integrity and less likely to become corrupt when entering the political world, those days are gone. Today, power, party ideology/influence and self-serving agendas cause women as well as men to govern in their and they're party's best interests over that of the citizens.

Women are not apt to be power-driven sexists as men, but then again the great majority of men if approached in the same manner that Gabryszak approached the seven plaintiffs were, would more likely be flattered and passed it on to the good old boys club, but kept media silent.

This should have been nipped in the bud five years ago by Ms. Mazurek coming forward at the time. Why did it take five years and six other plaintiffs to expose this guy? Gabby is getting what he deserves, but he already had a problem long before this and he and/or anyone that protected him should be held accountable as well.

Politicos think they are exceptional, think they walk on water, and forget they work for us, the taxpayers. Cheektowaga Democratic Chair Frank Max now has his tentacles in Lancaster and those Lancaster democrats who want to be considered for Gabby’s position will be kissing Max’s ring. Blech! Two times zero is still zero.

As you have openly declared that you are a democrat, I ask whether you would you support the three Democratic Party women now mentioned for consideration to fill Gabby’s position just because they are women? I respect your opinion because although you are a registered democratic and I am unaffiliated we both split our vote among different party lines hoping we chose the lesser of two evil candidates. I say this because I know like me we have both come to distrust all political parties and their endorsed candidate(s).

As you and I often state, “With rare exception, they all suck.”

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    As you have openly declared that you are a democrat, I ask whether you would you support the three Democratic Party women now mentioned for consideration to fill Gabby’s position just because they are women? I respect your opinion because although you are a registered democratic and I am unaffiliated we both split our vote among different party lines hoping we chose the lesser of two evil candidates. I say this because I know like me we have both come to distrust all political parties and their endorsed candidate(s).
    Stempniak and Mazurek - NO

Benczkowski - MAYBE That woman worked her ass off to get elected as councilman. I doubt that she would put all that work into something and walk away.

As you and I often state, “With rare exception, they all suck.”
    As you would say, "SPOT ON"

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I don't see any connection between the two.

What if Gabby had run someone over with his car? Do you think an attorney representing the person gabby ran over would be prohibited from running for office because of some sort of conflict?

Under what provision of what law or code or regulation do you perceive such a rule to exist?
    I stated, that IMHO, I don't believe there would be a conflict of interest. Swiatek is a municipal attorney for both towns (Cheek and Lanc) and both those towns would be represented by the 143rd district candidate. One would think he would have equal loyalties to both towns he now contracts with but I'm wrong alot.

Georgia L Schlager

I think that what transpired between "Gabby" & the women is so disturbing to me. I find it most uncomfortable hearing how this is upsetting him and his family. Really, he did this and we are hearing that he is upset.....crazy huh.

I think in reflecting upon what Lee stated regarding if the roles were reversed and it were females in that position -- I would partially agree with Lee however that said, I don't think it would be considered different if the female grabbed the guys nuts like that guy in the restaurant that Mr. Hoffman's wife owns who grabbed her breasts, would happen do you? Women IMO would not be so bold, or perhaps do a video like Gabby did in the latrine, what might happen maybe is that like Gabby did -- cut the salary or threaten their job security. So IMO I don't think women would be so bold, but then again these are different times we are living in.

Just to say that this one is the best or should be consider is a crap shoot at best. Let's look at the people most qualified at this time to address the needs of the people of 43rd district and that is Adam ( I didn't get the training - I don't think so ) Locker. He is or was Gabbies poope boy and maybe number seven or eight. He would be able to keep the ship on course so it doesn't sink ! Think about it. Adam could read "I did do nothing wrong and with a little promping from his attorney got thru the statement with only seven or eight time have to read what he was saying.

Gabryszak Fined $100K By Legislative Ethics Panel

Democratic former Assemblyman Dennis Gabryszak was fined $100,000 by the Legislative Ethics Commission on Friday after it was determined by a separate ethics panel he had violated the public officer’s law when he sexually harassed legislative aides in his office.

Gabryszak resigned from his western New York Assembly seat in January 2014 after eight women — including legislative staffers and a reporter — claimed he had sexually harassed them.

“The Commission considered the evidence submitted at the penalty assessment hearing by Mr. Gabryszak, through his attorney, and considered Mr. Gabryszak’s admission to his inappropriate
    conduct, as evidenced, in part, by his prompt resignation from office, in determining the penalties,” the LEC report found.

The penalty includes $70,000 for the harassment of women who worked for the Legislature, as well as a $10,000 fine for misusing state resources for campaign purposes. An additional $20,000 was levied for the benefit he received as a result of the misuse of public property.

The resignation of Gabryszak was part of a string of harassment scandals that had engulfed the Assembly in recent years, which included the resignation of the late Housing Committee Chairman Vito Lopez.

In its report filed Friday, the LEC wrote that it “concurred” with the findings of the Joint Commission on Public Ethics that Gabryszak had misused public resources and harassed his aides.

Democratic Assemblyman Micah Kellner of Manhattan was also accused of harassment, but declined to seek re-election to Albany.

The initial allegations against Gabryszak came amid heightened awareness of sexual harassment in Albany and after then-Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver was roundly criticized for his handling of the Lopez scandal.

The Assembly has since retained an independent law firm to review sexual harassment complaints.

http://www.nystateofpolitics.com/201...medium=twitter

Georgia L Schlager

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information